Author Topic: Eurovision Song contest  (Read 15167 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Eurovision Song contest
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
It's nearly ESC time ALREADY? I don't know whether to be excited because Eurovision, or panicked because the year is going by so fast! O___O

Usually I love Eurovision, but this year............. this YeAR we somehow have been allowed to submit an entry?!?! Is this terrible feeling what the competing countries feel every year?!?!? XD oh dear.. Oh no...
It's like hanging out at the karaoke bar, just watching, and then suddenly "Come on get up! It's YOUR TURN! 8D"... "Nooooooo!" *music starts*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »
I saw the title of this and squeed. I have followed Eurovision for a few years now, and I love the diversity of the songs. I haven't listened to all the songs yet, but I plan on it.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 03:59:23 AM »
If we have the time, my family usually watches the ESC and we grade every performance/song.
Last year, our winner was Malta, and the Netherlands were second - the latter song still gets played on the radio sometimes.
I really loved the winner from the first ESC I was allowed to watch and I even bought the CD from that song:
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 03:01:22 PM »
I've been watching ESC since 2010 and oh man I love it.

This year...unpopular opinion (based on youtube at least) that Cyprus' is very pretty and Sweden's is unoriginal. Also, Malta's Warrior is better. *holds a pillow in front of me just in case*
Fluent::usa: 
Intermediate but rusty::germany:
Learning: 
Should know but doesn't::brazil:

:chap4::chap5::chap6::chap7:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 04:41:20 AM »
Sweden's is unoriginal.

Nothing new here from what I've heard. The Swedish ESC mentality was allegedly that if it worked with ABBA it should technically work again every time.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 05:01:57 AM »
Nothing new here from what I've heard. The Swedish ESC mentality was allegedly that if it worked with ABBA it should technically work again every time.

It seems to work though, Sweden's right up there among the Big Names with their five victories. They're also holding second place in most votes ever given to a single performance... I try to not think of which song tops that list or I'll have the tii-tilulii-ti-tii-tilulilulilu ringing in my head for the rest of the day.

Aw sh- now I did it. >:(
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »
First semi-final is over now.
Pretty sad that Denmark and the Netherlands won't be moving on, so now Belgium and/or Russia are going to be the countries I'm rooting for.
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »
*casually waves :estonia: and :romania:*  :D

So I couldn't tell...did I really hear "Thank you, Australia" after Serbia's entry? I was so fixated on that, that I didn't pay attention to half of Hungary's.
Learning: 

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »
*casually waves :estonia: and :romania:*  :D

So I couldn't tell...did I really hear "Thank you, Australia" after Serbia's entry? I was so fixated on that, that I didn't pay attention to half of Hungary's.

You sure they didn't say Austria (the host country this year)?

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
You sure they didn't say Austria (the host country this year)?

I'm pretty sure I heard an extra syllable in there, but sometime later, I'll watch the clip and listen more carefully. Someone on twitter heard it too. If that did really happen...I'm kind of hoping it was a joke based on the two country names always getting mixed up lol.

Editing my comment: I rewatched the end of her performance and she did say Australia, but then I realized it was a special shout out to them. I was expecting the usual "Thank you Europe! Thank you [HOST COUNTRY]" so it threw me off, haha. My bad for thinking it might have been an accident.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:13:55 PM by tabeabd »
Learning: 

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »
Sooo... which country was your favourite?
My family voted for Austalia. And my mother is still a bit upset that Germany got 0 points. Well, I guess nobody really likes Germany at the moment. ;) (Because honestly I think there were far worse songs!)
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 09:23:49 AM »
my mother is still a bit upset that Germany got 0 points. Well, I guess nobody really likes Germany at the moment. ;) (Because honestly I think there were far worse songs!)
I can't help but wonder how well-known the "originally second place" business is internationally, and how much that may have swayed the public votes.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't get that reference - what's the "originally second place business"?  ???

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
I managed to fall asleep during the point distribution, which is kinda funny for one who has gone to sleep practically 2AM almost every day for months now, ha ha...

My favourites were Latvia, Georgia and Serbia, but Germany and England were fun, too. Those neon dresses were absolutely fabulous.

Special mention to Austria for the piano thing. The Norwegian commentator introduced them as "a fiery performance", but me and my friends sat there like "this isn't fiery at all, where's the fire? we were promised FIERY"
*piano catches fire*
"ah, there we go."
you'll know where to find me.

zetkaj

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »
I wanted to just take a look at the contest and somehow ended up on watching the whole thing. Oops.
My favorites were UK (because c'mon, Eurovision rainbow spirit!) and Austria (because piano fire thing, I admit). I also really enjoyed Latvia's performance.
Most of the songs were so unoriginal and boring though? What's with the ballads (I'm especially not happy with Poland, we have so many good bands?? Why so sad), where's the glitter?
And I wonder what's with these votes and how much they are changed. Well, whatever. (or did everyone really vote for Russia so they have to host the most rainbow-y European event next year? P: )
Also:our announcer was the worst, with terrible English and manners...such shame, wow.
Native :poland: , fluent :uk: , a bit :germany: , learning :finland:

The whole culture is based on pretending. Pretending that we are cultured.