Author Topic: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'  (Read 106242 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:41 PM »
Warning
Lovely People contains very strong Christian proselytizing elements while the thread contains personal experiences with toxic Christianity which may be distressing to some.

Sharing this link that I'm told is from Minna's instagram, for the bunny comic she's been developing over the past several months.
Lovely People

Edit: that is the complete comic, and ends with Minna's commentary on its inspiration and development.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 05:17:20 PM by Gwenno »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Buteo

• Ranger
Re: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 11:23:13 PM »
Ooookay...
Best wishes to our Minna, now and always!

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 02:24:37 AM »
Eeee! Its super cute! Thanks for posting, and thank Minna for making it. The premise looks interesting. What nasty gossip might hide under the sugar-coated façade? And one of the bunnies has the same tuft of hair as Tuuri had!

Edit: I wrote the above after reading the first few pages. Now I finished it. I didn't expect the direction it took. I'll comment on that another time.
Overall it was a lovely read, sometimes uncomfortable for me, lots of fun pictures and a nice script. And the topics are imho very relevant, though opinions may differ on some.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:12:28 PM by Groupoid »
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 06:24:34 AM »
I'm just scrolling this comic, waiting for some sick sh%t to pop up.
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »
It is completely different to Minna's other comics in length and Topic.
But as always brilliant in characterdesign and drawing.

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:25:37 AM »
I read this yesterday and all i can say is that this was more pathetic and spiteful than i thought it could be, even with the descriptions friends have given me.

Holy persecution complex, batman!

Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 01:07:47 PM »
The plot reminds me of the Black Mirror episode Nosedive, with definite extra political elements.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Bunnies amongst blossoms

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »
Not to come across as too negative, but I really didn't like this comic a lot.
Not all allegories have to be subtle but the Christian stuff was really on the nose and it didn't sit with me (the phone thing at the end felt really Boomer to me) (but then again I probably have different beliefs to Minna)
it's a shame because I agree on certain things like how corporations are having an increasing influence on stuff but then there was just so much I couldn't mesh with
The art was really cute at least, I like bunnies (but that sort of added to the disappointment because I got all hyped for a bunny comic from Minna)

My friend (an ex-Christian Fundamentalist, so probably a little biased) also wasn't fond of it but in Minna's streams/Tumblr/Instagram, I've only seen positive reactions... maybe I'm missing something?

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »
Well... that was... something.

Cute bunnies, anyway. I quite agree on the horror of social credit systems and the evil of consumerism, the rest... especially the author commentary... hum. Processing...
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 06:56:17 PM »
Well it was definitely not what I expected. The bunnies were cute and I find the idea of a social credit fascinating and a great premise, but the author's note didn't sit well with me, especially this sentence.

"Nobody will be around anymore to tell you about how you sin against God, to repent and humbly turn to Christ for forgiveness and salvation from the judgement that comes at the end of everyone's lives. That would be offensive, hurtful and harmful, and thus not allowed!"

You are absolutely allowed to have your own opinions, and you may disagree with someone, but you can't be offensive. Other people's lives are not yours to police, that is their business, not yours. Some people have different beliefs than you, and that's just something you need to respect! You can't go around telling people that they are sinners and going to hell just because they are different than you or because they have different beliefs. Outright hate is different than a civilized discussion. But I may have missed the point completely, or be seeing through my own biased lenses. What are your thoughts on this?

(I hope I don't end up sparking a fire, but as someone who isn't Christian, I would love to hear different viewpoints to make sure I see the full picture.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:59:10 PM by Lallicat »
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Bunnies amongst blossoms

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 07:31:18 PM »
I think the full quote is worse
"If you one day find yourself in that future utopia, where your purpose of life is consuming product and entertainment or pursuing vain goals of "bettering yourself", and nobody is allowed to say or write anything "harmful" anymore , remember this: your problem is your sin against God. But He is loving and merciful, and is still gathering his lost sheep, humble yourself and repent."

the part about harmful stuff is giving me serious Boomer comedian vibes (y'know the ones who go on their netflix specials to complain about cancel culture?) Not to say CC is entirely made up, just this boomer-y version has some... inconsistencies with reality

Especially because it makes me think Minna is still reeling from... The Emil incident from a few years ago (I want to clarify she shouldn't have received threats but that did warrant some criticism in my opinion, and I have a Finnish mutual, they said the original line would still have been considered an offensive joke in Finland, if more tolerated, so it wasn't just a translation oops-y) not to reignite old discourse though, considering how recent her conversion is there's been plenty of time for her to change since that comic and I don't like trying to psychoanalyse people I don't know.

In her stream tonight, Minna says she's actually read the Bible (over the course of three months) so she's not making up her beliefs but I've also seen some Christians says that the bible isn't against self improvement...
Unfortunately I can't say one way or the other because I'm not Christian in any form (unless you count Christmas and singing songs about the Lord in Primary school assemblies)
But also she's got a study bible she plans to read so maybe her views will change? She claims to be a "recent convert and very pumped up"

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »
She really did decide to hate China and block all criticisms with Jesus because of her offensive slur incident huh.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 08:02:55 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of it either to be completely honest, but then again, I have some history with bad Christians (i.e. the kind of people who use their religion to justify bigotry and bullying, not the ones who believe in love and forgiveness, etc.) and I'm aware that it still colours my feelings a bit. It would be interesting to see a Christian perspective on the story, however, and I did think the bunnies were cute.

It also didn't sit well with me that there were such parallels with social media 'cancel culture' (that bird app must have represented twitter, right?), as, for the last few years, many of the people I've seen complaining about that, and the fact that they aren't allowed to say what they want, haven't so much been complaining about government censorship and surveillance, as they have been that they aren't allowed to say racist, homophobic etc. things without consequences anymore. Government censorship and surveillance is a very serious problem in many parts of the world and absolutely needs to be talked about, but it is not the same thing as losing individual followers because you said something offensive. Dunno, I guess combining them this way felt to me like trying to make getting 'cancelled' as much of an issue as actual authoritarian governments controlling their citizens. This may not be what Minna was going for, and I agree with Bunnies that the Emil incident probably influenced her feelings on cancel culture, but it still felt very uncomfortable to read. Anyway, I might be reading into this too much, but I am bone tired of telling people not to insult my friends and family (as well as all POC and LGBT+ people obvz) only to have them complain about how attacked they are, and reading this is just making me more tired.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:26:59 PM by Gwenno »
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 10:07:44 PM »
To those criticizing the comic as an exaggeration of "cancel culture": actually it depicts an "if this goes on" dystopia, so it is naturally an exaggeration.  But it isn't even much of an exaggeration of China's Social Credit System.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System .  In particular,

According to the Chinese government's 2015 Plan for Implementation, the Social Credit System is due to be fully implemented by 2020. Once implemented the system will manage the rewards, or punishments, of citizens on the basis of their economic and personal behavior. Some types of punishments for poor social credit include: flight ban, exclusion from private schools, slow internet connection, exclusion from high prestige work, exclusion from hotels, and registration on a public blacklist. While some rewards for good social credit include discounts on energy bills, being able to rent bikes and hotel hotels without payment of a deposit, and better interest rates at banks.

That's exactly the sort of thing the comic depicts.  Does it use a Twitter-analogue?  Well, yes.  Easily recognizable to the reader, that's all.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:09:44 PM by lwise »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 11:18:29 PM »
I feel there won't be a lot of criticism directly visible by Minna on Insta etc because as pointed out, the criticism levelled at her before horrified her, then radicalised her rather than educated her. 

Spoiler: salt • show
Why bother pouring gasoline on a dumpster fire?  As Superdark said, it feeds a persecution complex.  If you want criticism, I've written seen it on Discord.
My hot take: we've all had a good laugh with the fact that 'Stand Still Stay Silent' is a misnomer of a title for a comic where nobody does that.  Minna has duplicated this feat with 'Lovely People'.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior