Author Topic: Starting a comic. Thoughts?  (Read 2147 times)

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
Starting a comic. Thoughts?
« on: March 27, 2022, 08:22:40 PM »
Starting a new comic hopefully sometime this summer. I started reading SSSS back in 2018 and it's been one heck of a journey so far. Minna definitely Kickstarted a lot of my artistic journey and love for crafting stories so in light of SSSS coming to an end, I've decided to create my own comic!

Working title is Eyes of The Forest and I sort of pulled on the "Post-Apocalypse set in Northern Europe" vibe of SSSS and translated it into something I'd enjoy writing and illustrating. The main story is set in Germany 10 years after an event called "Die Stille" (The Silence/The Silencing) during which thick forests reclaimed a good portion of the world and wiped out 80% of the human population, leaving some weird creatures and residual magic side effects in its wake. I have a group of 3 as the main cast but I'm considering more at the moment.

I'm posting this here because the visual style and overall aesthetic of EoTF is similar enough to SSSS that I think you'll all (hopefully) enjoy it when I manage to get it up and running. Questions, comments, and possible ideas are all appreciated as this is my first time crafting a comic world! :D!
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Starting a comic. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 09:06:34 PM »
This sounds interesting! If you need help with details of forest ecology I may be able to help, and I do love a good story. Plus, of course, in European folklore, a number of strange and wonderful things are said to sleep in deep forests. Perhaps you could wake up some of them?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 09:18:08 PM »
I will definitely have to keep up with your comic!

The Slemhjort/Slime Deer looks interesting and how you draw hair is on point.

I love that (at least) one of character uses sign language. (Small thing but you did put the speech bubble to Ahren's mouth when he is talking with his hands.)

I was happy to find that the it does not look to similar to SSSS in art or concept.

I look forward to seeing more!

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 09:30:16 PM »
This comic sounds interesting.  I would definitely like to read it.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 10:59:30 PM »
This sounds interesting! If you need help with details of forest ecology I may be able to help, and I do love a good story. Plus, of course, in European folklore, a number of strange and wonderful things are said to sleep in deep forests. Perhaps you could wake up some of them?

I'll definitely consider waking up some of them for big climactic scenes! Can't have Ahren and Katrin (2 of the main cast) wandering around doing nothing the whole time!

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 11:02:16 PM »
I will definitely have to keep up with your comic!

The Slemhjort/Slime Deer looks interesting and how you draw hair is on point.

I love that (at least) one of character uses sign language. (Small thing but you did put the speech bubble to Ahren's mouth when he is talking with his hands.)

I was happy to find that the it does not look to similar to SSSS in art or concept.

I look forward to seeing more!

Aa thanks for pointing out the speech bubble thing! I'm not really used to doing comic work so I'll have to find a way to make it a little clearer that he's signing rather than speaking.

Both Ahren and Katrin will use sign language, Ahren more than Katrin as he can't exactly talk.

And thank you! I'm just going for a vibe rather than straight up copying anything so it's really good to hear that.

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 11:02:43 PM »
This comic sounds interesting.  I would definitely like to read it.

I'll definitely let all of you know when it's up and active

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 02:38:45 PM »
I love the idea already! I just read an article on how all of Europe was covered in primeval forest before we went and discovered agriculture. (And then the murders began)

If I may suggest, maybe it would be good if you figure out for yourself what caused the Stille and why. Just to avoid ending up in contradictions. It doesn’t matter if the characters and the readers never learn it, but the author should know. Just saying… Then of course it’s entirely possible you have very robust world building already!

Also, are you and NightMareMage friends otherwise? Thy seem to be commenting on your work, which is not available yet?

Annnnyways, I wish you luck and perseverance! Both are needed in addition to the talent. I’m looking forward to reading it!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 02:43:44 PM »
I love the idea already! I just read an article on how all of Europe was covered in primeval forest before we went and discovered agriculture. (And then the murders began)

If I may suggest, maybe it would be good if you figure out for yourself what caused the Stille and why. Just to avoid ending up in contradictions. It doesn’t matter if the characters and the readers never learn it, but the author should know. Just saying… Then of course it’s entirely possible you have very robust world building already!

Also, are you and NightMareMage friends otherwise? Thy seem to be commenting on your work, which is not available yet?

Annnnyways, I wish you luck and perseverance! Both are needed in addition to the talent. I’m looking forward to reading it!

MintheTea's profile links to their DA so I checked out his art there.

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 02:48:38 PM »
Aa thanks for pointing out the speech bubble thing! I'm not really used to doing comic work so I'll have to find a way to make it a little clearer that he's signing rather than speaking.

Both Ahren and Katrin will use sign language, Ahren more than Katrin as he can't exactly talk.

And thank you! I'm just going for a vibe rather than straight up copying anything so it's really good to hear that.

I don't think sign languages are common in comics but have seen the "sign guy comic," it was created by a deaf man and in it ASL is more common then spoken english. It might give you some ideas on how you what to depict spoken vs sign language(s).

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 03:53:50 PM »
Oh I see! I checked it out too. I particularly love the dreadlocks picture, but all of them show you are a great artist!

Have you read White Noise? Big guy with wings reference :) And it’s completely lovely!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 06:15:55 PM »

I do have a reason as to why the Stille happened but that's for me to know and all of you wonderful people to find out! Something to do with the Earth always having a magic to it that was simply ignored for a long time...

Ominous!

And thank you for the well wishes! I should be able to post the comic some time around August of this year if all my development goes as planned!

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 06:16:57 PM »
I don't think sign languages are common in comics but have seen the "sign guy comic," it was created by a deaf man and in it ASL is more common then spoken english. It might give you some ideas on how you what to depict spoken vs sign language(s).

Aa I'll check it out! Hopefully it'll make things clearer.

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 06:19:59 PM »
Oh I see! I checked it out too. I particularly love the dreadlocks picture, but all of them show you are a great artist!

Have you read White Noise? Big guy with wings reference :) And it’s completely lovely!

I will have to check it out! Particularly large guys with wings are a favorite little bizzare character trope of mine. I see it's linked in your webcomic recommendation post!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 07:45:59 PM »
White Noise was also Comic of the Month here a few months back; and collected enough of a following to have its own page here for continuing comments. Its own page is full of spoilers, though, as we're by now generally commenting on the current page; so if you find it interesting (I do) you probably want to catch up before coming there.