Author Topic: Girl Genius discussion OPEN SPOILERS  (Read 15423 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Girl Genius discussion OPEN SPOILERS
« on: November 24, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
OK, as apparently requested, here's a thread for discussion of Girl Genius, presented as Comic of the Month for November 2021 by Róisín, though the first post was made by Jitter.

Warning: this thread may include open spoilers up to and including the current page. (And there's a vety great deal to catch up on, if you're starting from scratch.)

First post on this in the Comic of the Month thread, if I've done this right, is here:
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.msg186080#msg186080
and there are a number of posts in that thread on the subject continuing through at least most of November.

Link direct to the comic start page for new readers should be here:
https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/index.php

« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 07:38:02 PM by thorny »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Girl Genius discussion OPEN SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 11:21:48 PM »
Thank you for that, thorny. And to Jitter for helping me with links.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
Hey, I’m up to date!

Having read up to here, I think some of my favorite are the ways the characters grow to be friends. Particularly Gil and Tarvek, but also Agatha, Zeetha and Violetta. Or well, the girls don’t really grow but rather seem to click instantly into a friendship, but Gil and Tarvek’s arc gives me joy. I would love to see Agatha actually marrying both of the boys, but I don’t really think it will get that far :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 03:50:15 PM »
Marrying both of them is definitely my headcanon!

thorny

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 04:33:14 PM »
Mine too. Unfair to everybody to make her choose -- and doesn't the Heterodyne get to set the rules?

-- IIRC Agatha and Zeetha were a bit rocky at the start. And Agatha was not happy at all about all that training until the day it first saved her life -- somewhere in the early part of the castle sequences, I think it was, I remember her dodging somebody's attack and making it to cover just in time and once under cover repeating "Thank you, Zeetha! Thank you, Zeetha!" over and over.

Róisín

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 10:27:31 PM »
I too like the maturing friendship between Gil and Tarvek. If I remember correctly, they were childhood friends who met when they were both on the airship city, when Gil was incognito among the other students/hostages, became estranged, then met again when both were students in Paris, where the impulse to be friends was still there but each thought the other was a fool. Heh, they were spark teenagers. Now they are coming to appreciate one another as adults.

And I found it interesting that when Zeetha turns up in the story the first thing Klaus assumes is that she is there to kill either himself, Gil or both. Whereas from Zeetha’s own point of view she is simply lost. Klaus assuming that makes my guess that he is her father seem more likely.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 02:58:26 AM »
Marrying both of them is definitely my headcanon!

Der Kestel certainly assumes so, too.  The just-barely-sfw extra art of Agatha reclining as her two scantily clad himbos serve her (drat, no time to look it up for a linkee just now) reinforces that the Foglios are letting that headcanon stay out there.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »
Have you noticed how interesting the globe map is here: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20180716#.YbEdGYFHmhC

That’s Atlantis in the middle, isn’t it? But in addition to that, there are two locations on the Greenland landmass and a few on islands that are not notable population centers in our world. One could be the Azores, but those others in Atlantic?

The place where they are are at the moment, and where the one almost functioning mirror is located, is in an archipelago type area somewhere. Maybe what is left of that big Atlantis?

Also, what is the line crossing the Atlantic?

I think I saw another globe map somewhere but I can’t find it now.

Edit: found it https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20190327#.YbEotoFHmh This map is completely alien. Then again, the person is properly insane so maybe it just indicates that he has lost it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 04:53:09 PM by Jitter »

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 08:36:07 AM »
Thank you for the globe map, both for itself and because it lead me to a part of the comic which I had missed at the time and am delighted to find. I can only assume, given the dates, that it was put up during a part of life that was far too busy and chaotic to allow for anything so frivolous as reading comics for a few months, and with which I had never a chance to catch up.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 06:45:48 AM »
Yeah, ok, I did not see that coming! Wherever it is they are, it is an interesting area, to say the least!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 01:25:46 PM by Jitter »

thorny

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »
Do you mean current page?

Whatever they are, they don't look happy. And if those red spots aren't normal, I wouldn't expect them to be happy.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
Yes, the page for today 13th Dec 2021. Angry somethings appear. Dangerous waters!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »
Yeah so the angry somethings are even more unlikely that it appeared at first thought. What are these, aqua-jägers?

thorny

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 05:18:31 PM »
Are the larger ones covered with bleeding sores, or are they like that normally?

(did I just write "normally" to describe these things?)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 05:33:41 PM »
Are the larger ones covered with bleeding sores, or are they like that normally?
... both?

(did I just write "normally" to describe these things?)
Anything that doesn't have steampunk artificial body parts qualifies as perfectly normal in this storyverse.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15