Author Topic: Barbarous (netcomic) SPOILERS  (Read 10430 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Barbarous (netcomic) SPOILERS
« on: August 10, 2021, 10:32:27 PM »
EDITED by Jitter to add opening for the thread

This is discussion about the webcomic Barbarous by Ananth Hirsh and Yuko Ota, available at

http://www.johnnywander.com/

Barbarous page 1: http://www.johnnywander.com/comic/barbarous-chapter-1

The comic is ongoing (early chapter 6) at the time of opening this thread.

Barbarous was introduced by SkyWhalePod as the Comic of the Month for August 2021. You can see their introduction here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.15

THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS ON BARBAROUS UP TO CURRENT LATEST PAGE

From the line downwards, thorny's original post.

OK, spoilers for Barbarous through, and mostly about, Chapter 5:

Spoiler: show
First of all, my head is playing tricks on me. I thought we'd seen Hale interacting with Percy somewhere earlier in the comic; but I can't find him before the tail end of book 4, and Percy says on page 3 of chapter 5 that she doesn't know him. So I guess not.

Second, and main point: I think this is a really good treatment of the Shadow Self. And they get it right: "We'll never be rid of one another [ . . . ] don't be scared. I'll find us something new to eat."

And then a couple of more minor: I thought at first that Hale had made Leeds; because on p 34 of chapter 4, he says he's working on a new kind of familiar. But on page 43 of chapter 5, Leeds says that Ruby made him.

And Percy seems to have come out of this with more hair than either of her had going in. Is the hair length related to the strength of her magic? But it can't be; because Percy when she can't do magic has longer hair than Chiaki who can. -- maybe it's related to her degree of wholeness? Or maybe she just wanted to grow her hair, and is now powerful enough to do that.

-- oh yeah, and a technical question. At the end of some of the chapters, if I kept clicking next I found myself shifted into This Is What You Wanted. I'd go back to the archive pages and put myself back into Barbarous; but was I supposed to read the two comics in an alternating fashion instead? (I haven't read This Is What You Wanted yet, except for a couple of pages.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:14:01 AM by Jitter »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Barbarous (netcomic) SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
Spoilers on Barbarous up to Chapter 5 (and reply to thorny)

Hale - it seems they did mingle among the same students, but Percy never noticed him.

I really like the “writ wizards” (although I can understand Hale’s frustration). This is probably the first time besides Pratchett there is D&D type of magic, i.e. must be painstakingly prepared and is lost in casting. What’s more, it even makes sense in the context of what Percy mentions about misaligned planes often being the cause for haunting.

Leeds - I was sort of thinking he could Minotaur (as in the Minotaur), mostly because of page 25 of chapter 4, but the cottage in snow doesn’t really add up. I think we can trust that Leeds doesn’t lie? Everyone else probably does.

Little girl Percy - what do you make of page 8 of chapter 5? Isn’t that a version of herself Percy is drawing, getting attacked by Calbraith?

Percy’s hair - she gets the long hair from the blue version - when Leeds comforts/saves/??? her the extra arms are gone but the hair remains. Perhaps it signifies her acceptance of that part of her self - indeed, her becoming more whole like you suggested.

Funny, in SSSS I love the way worldbuilding is presented in the info pages, and I’m sad there currently don’t seem to be more forthcoming. But in Barbarous, I like the way things are just left completely unexplained and you have to work out what is this then.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:52:37 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 05:40:02 PM »
Spoilers on Barbarous up to Chapter 5 (and reply to thorny)

Hale - it seems they did mingle among the same students, but Percy never noticed him.

[ . . . ]

Leeds - I was sort of thinking he could Minotaur (as in the Minotaur), mostly because of page 25 of chapter 4, but the cottage in snow doesn’t really add up. I think we can trust that Leeds doesn’t lie? Everyone else probably does.

[ . . . ]

Little girl Percy - what do you make of page 8 of chapter 5? Isn’t that a version of herself Percy is drawing, getting attacked by Calbraith?

1)   Yes, that I saw; but what I thought I remembered was their interacting somewhere outside the school during the earlier part of the story.

2)   Hmmm. I wonder whether Leeds can lie. Maybe not?

But what if somebody really wants him to? -- OK, let's not try to break Leeds. I like Leeds.

3)   Wow. I didn't catch that. Sure looks like it now that you point it out -- and the child-Percy's on Calbraith's side!

catbirds

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 02:59:21 AM »
Okay, I caught up and read the entire thing this evening. So here we go, spoilers until the end of chapter 5 here too

Re: confusion about events - I've been finding that a lot of non-ssss stories are far more sparing on how much is drawn. It's pretty smart to do that, but it can lead to readers not knowing how things happened and needing to backtrack a bit. Not sure if that's the actual problem, but it's a thing that happens with me so in my opinion that might be it.

Regarding Hale - he seems to be researching how to make familiars and doesn't actually know how to make a familiar like Leeds. I think he was a bit of an average kid at school but wanted to be talented by their standards or something like that. And by "their standards" I mean the whole writ vs gilded wizard thing. In the end, though, it seems like you still have to know spells and practice magic a lot to be a gilded wizard, as it's pretty clear that Percy does mess up a spell in chapter 4 and something happened along the way to cause that? Either way, I'm really looking forward to what the next season will be like!

The entire sequence where Hale sent them to some dream world - yeah, I agree, thorny, that was actually my favourite bit. It kind of seemed like both Leeds and Percy were helping Each Other at the very end, when she weaves the spell and Leeds is helping her with the bundle of sticks and all that. This story does centre around their bond a lot, so that's how I interpreted it. Also, I love the way Percy does magic, with her threads and pins and patterns, and the way her past/shadow self could form it into a sword... I'm pretty sure she was referred to as Chiaki, but yeah, I think it was a good way to show how Chiaki clearly took after Calbraith and became a ruthless, albeit powerful, wizard. I'm interested in if they'll explore that link in the future, though that sequence might be done and dusted.

About characters - Hmmm.... Percy and Leeds were definitely great and well-developed together, but I felt like the side characters weren't really given much depth... I'm not really sure if this is an unfair criticism or if I just have a very personal distaste for underdeveloped side characters, and I might've tuned out from the side/bonus stories, so maybe this criticism isn't much. But also it's neat that Percy had a lot of experiences probably specific to mixed Japanese people. It's always nice to see experiences specific to a group of people appearing in a story, though sometimes I wish that there were a story that explored this kind of thing in a lot more depth.

Miscellaneous commentary - The vague mentions of an educational institution that's actually a central part of the plot is really interesting to me because of the amount of school-centred stories that we get. I think that's partially because of the structure that makes those stories very conducive to storytelling, so reading a story about a dropout and how her time at school follows her around despite it all is a nice change in perspective. I also feel like I relate to some of her experiences a bit too much... not literally, obviously. Anyway, I hope they go into more detail about what it's like to be "out of school" in this context and I hope that I can still relate to how it's presented, because this story resembles some process of reconciling your shortcomings in school and accepting you can still be a person in spite of that.

Side note - I found it kind of confusing to just not have one long sequence of pages that were storytelling because halfway through, I'd get confused about whether I was reading a side story or a page of the main story. It's not a big deal, though, and doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the story at all. But it's also interesting because seeing various branches of the story or peeks into the authors'/characters' lives outside of the main plot isn't really something we got much in SSSS, unless you saw the bonus comics in the printed books (which I have not lol).

Other side note - the website's crow mascot is cute, but a little spooky because of the mouth in the abdomen :>

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 10:20:02 AM »
Catbirds, the crow mascot (Maw) appears in Barbarous too! Did you notice?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Raaffiie

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »
All right, I'm all caught up! Great artstyle and I like the comedic timing in the panel layout. It's quick, though. This might just be because I'm mostly used to reading webcomics along the lines of SSSS or Wilde Life, but it took me some time to adjust to the speed at which events happen from panel to panel. I'm assuming it's like Scott Pilgrim in that sense? I only know of the series by name and reputation but I get the impression that that comic moves really quickly from moment to moment as well.

I like the interactions between the two leads and I'm fond of the energetic trio, even though I get tired just looking at them. As an anime fan I'm also happy to see some of those influences making their way into the comic. I'm going to join in with being confused by chapter 5, though, not really because of the dreamlike sequence itself, but the intro had me checking multiple times if there were some pages that I missed. I do like the idea of the different planes of existence which seems to be represented by the loup, gives me some Wheel of Time vibes. I think I'll keep an eye on this one.
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 12:23:16 PM »
I thought I had missed some pages too. Glad others feel the same. The whole Academy situation is interesting and I'm looking forward to what more develops around it. Leeds better stay away from that crazy Hale kid. He seemed a tad unhinged.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
Not sure Hale will be bothering anyone anymore, like ever. Cee says he’s been dealt with.

thorny

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »
I didn't know I could start a thread without starting a thread! Thanks, Jitter!   ;D

-- more later, I expect, busy right now --

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »
Oh, Hale’s not gone. Cee is hard to make out!

I know we saw the thing that is lying on the floor somewhere, or one much like it, but I can’t find it! Where is it?

thorny

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 05:38:57 PM »
It looks to me like the dummy (I hope it's a dummy!) that was being sliced up in the two pages just previous.

But I thought that dummy reminded me of something also, and I'm not sure what.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »
Oh yes, something the Cameron person slices up, because reasons?

Is Cameron Percy’s ex from Academy, whose face we don’t see?

thorny

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 06:06:54 PM »
Something else entirely:

I missed this, the first time through. Look at chapter 5, page 32. The page after the line about 'you don't have enough hands.' Look at the next-to-last panel: see Chiaki's coat and hands?

Then the first panel of page 33: see Chiaki's literal shadow?

And then the hands come up to hold her --

I think at the point of that first panel, with Percy weakened and apparently losing, Percy's become the shadow self, and Chiaki is claiming the position of the reality. But the shadow's where the strength is; and it's Percy who realizes that the two of them have to remain one person, and so it's Percy who can hold and incorporate Chiaki.

This is a really good Shadow Self story.

catbirds

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 12:15:50 AM »
I think at the point of that first panel, with Percy weakened and apparently losing, Percy's become the shadow self, and Chiaki is claiming the position of the reality. But the shadow's where the strength is; and it's Percy who realizes that the two of them have to remain one person, and so it's Percy who can hold and incorporate Chiaki.

This is a really good Shadow Self story.

Oooh, yeah, going back, I see it now! The slight smile that Chiaki gives in the last panel she's present for tells you everything, though I didn't follow it in the first read-through. Also, the simple and organic art style really was perfect for this scene... wow... It kind of looks like becoming "whole" again helped Percy regain the confidence to do magic.

Catbirds, the crow mascot (Maw) appears in Barbarous too! Did you notice?

Oh no, I didn't! Ummm,,, time to search through the entire comic I guess?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 06:12:31 AM »
Catbirds, It’s in two places (at least). I could list them here, but what would be the fun in that?  :V :V :V

Just let me know if you want me to  :reynir: