Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31772 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #330 on: March 04, 2023, 04:43:45 PM »
Edited 1st June 2023: discussion about Bad Space was cut into its own thread on the Worlds and Stories board! You can find it here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1330

I’m not sure which ones you mean, as ”first” could be either the top one (Swarm at the moment) or the bottom one (Ozymandias). The bottom one is the oldest one from 2021. The author makes some comments about his views in the comments, his outlook on the future of this world of ours is very bleak too.

BTW he also mentions that the title in the last panel is the actual story title. If it would be a ”spoiler” he uses a secondary title on the list. I was a bit confused when some of the end titles are the same while others are different.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 04:32:32 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2023, 10:22:05 PM »
Not that I'm trying to rush past a comic with which I do not vibe, but since we are nearing the end of the month, it wouldn't hurt to start thinking a few days in advance about who's going next.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2023, 03:38:41 AM »
Linebyline, agreed! I seem to recall we already agreed you will have April?

This makes me think that we probably should move the Bad Space discussion into a separate thread. Each of the stories is short and the discussion is fairly contained, but if we keep the same up for all of the stories here, it will interfere with discussing the April comic. Anyone against? If not, I’ll cut and move the ones clearly about Bad Space into a new one. @thegreyarea ?

Discussion of any previous Comic of the Month is ok on this thread and especially so if there is no dedicated thread, however if there is a lot on a title after the month is over, it’s best opening a new one. Or even during the month, when enough discussion is happening. Bad Space is a bit different because almost all of stories are unrelated to each other, but as there are going to be many more stories left after March ends, I feel it’s best to make room for the new one.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2023, 06:49:15 AM »

This makes me think that we probably should move the Bad Space discussion into a separate thread. Each of the stories is short and the discussion is fairly contained, but if we keep the same up for all of the stories here, it will interfere with discussing the April comic. Anyone against? If not, I’ll cut and move the ones clearly about Bad Space into a new one. @thegreyarea ?

Discussion of any previous Comic of the Month is ok on this thread and especially so if there is no dedicated thread, however if there is a lot on a title after the month is over, it’s best opening a new one. Or even during the month, when enough discussion is happening. Bad Space is a bit different because almost all of stories are unrelated to each other, but as there are going to be many more stories left after March ends, I feel it’s best to make room for the new one.
Yes, of course. :) Please do it.

If there's no suggestion for this month I may have one. Else maybe it can be postponed to May?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #334 on: March 27, 2023, 08:28:32 AM »
I think Linebyline already has a pitch prepare? You can take May, Grey?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2023, 08:42:55 AM »
I think Linebyline already has a pitch prepare? You can take May, Grey?
Sure! :)

I'll prepare everything. The comic I'm thinking has two large chapters done (aprox 170 full pages), and is currently on a hiatus. So, the story is not complete. Is that ok?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2023, 06:40:22 PM »
I'm not absent-minded, you're absent-minded.  :-[

The comic I'm thinking has two large chapters done (aprox 170 full pages), and is currently on a hiatus.
Should be fine as long as the proper heads-up is given. Quoth the rules on page 1:
a work that has been dropped before ending may be ok if you think it’s worth nevertheless, but in this case make sure to let everyone know it is or appears to be discontinued.

In fact, the next comic I planned to pitch is on indefinite hiatus too, though I feel like it still comes to, if not an ending, at least a satisfying stopping point unless/until the author picks it back up (which, he says, he still very much intends to do). Though we might not want to do two of those in a row, so I'll see if I can come up with a different one and save this pitch for another time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 06:46:32 PM by Linebyline »
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #337 on: March 27, 2023, 07:39:01 PM »
Linebyline, please don't worry with the comic I'm thinking about.
Go ahead with what you had in mind, and I'll see later what to do. :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2023, 01:45:50 PM »
Hardly any of the comics we’ve had were / are finished, and many have gone on hiatus, some have come back too. Such is life with webcomics! So, yeah, an unfinished comic is very ok. But if you know it’s fizzled out or is on such long hiatus it appears possibly dead, then a warning is in order.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #339 on: April 01, 2023, 08:25:57 AM »
Do you like fantasy Webcomics with cute art? Of course you do. Do you like Webcomics with grumpy characters who learn to make friends? Of course you do. Do you like Webcomics with cats? Ha, like I even needed to ask that one.

And that's why I'm recommending... xkcd! Haha April Fools, pranks, mirth, etc. I'm actually pitching Harpy Gee (homepage, page 1) by Brianne Drouhard. It's currently in its sixth and final chapter, though each "chapter" is usually divided into a handful of smaller episodes. The update schedule is irregular; it usually updates Mondays, but the number of pages per update varies wildly based on Drouhard's other obligations. It's recently back from a hiatus of several months between chapters, and has entered its sixth and final chapter.

The comic stars and is named for Gigi "Harpy" Geranium, a young elf who's left her homeland behind for reasons that are probably spoilers. She's accompanied by her pet goblin cat Pumpkin, whom I'd describe as 10% goblin, 40% cat, 50% bag of holding, and 100% attitude. They find themselves in a backwater town called Podunkello, where they meet the adorable and brilliant witch Opal, owner of the local "Item Shop," and her pet/assistant Truffles the pig. Rooming in Opal's shop is the teenage castle guard (sort of) Ash, who is much more of a jerk in the first chapter than I remembered thanks to his mother instilling in him a distrust of elves, but underneath it he's a cinnamon roll. This is also true of the last and grumpiest main character, Prince Humphrey, though his crusty exterior is a few meters thicker. He ran away from home to avoid his twin sister's birthday party (sort of) only to get roped into a party for a dog belonging to his uncle, the conniving Duke hollandaise. The duke is one of those "manipulative but for your own good" types. From there, they have various adventures involving plant monsters, dragons, mermaids, at least two large monsters with mushrooms growing on them, bread-baking ogres, a turkey with an eyepatch, and most dangerous of all: Interpersonal conflict.

Quick heads-up: Yes, the title is a play on "RPG" but apart from incorporating some of the standard fantasy tropes like elves and magic and swords and stuff, it has little to do with the likes of GURPS or Chrono Trigger. The characters are just characters, not player characters. Of course, there are plenty of easter egg references, especially in early chapters, but if you're looking for something like Order of the Stick or the one about the goblins (I forget what it's called), uh, sorry.

So why am I pitching this? The main thing is, as always, the characters. They're broad and comedic, but they all have depth, hidden layers, secrets, and so on.

They remind me a bit of the SSSS crew. Humphrey is somehow Lalli and Emil at the same time. Ash reminds me of Reynir. There is a cat who is the best character. But mainly I mean they're a mismatched bunch of flawed characters with various barriers between them that they're forced to overcome to become good friends. (One of the later sub-chapters is literally called "Friendship Barriers," though by that point they're already friends.) They all speak the same language, so it's more a clash of status and personalities. I'm not really doing it justice, but I feel pretty confident that if you like the character dynamics of SSSS or most of the other comics I've pitched, you'll like these guys too.

Most of the comics I've pitched thus far have been somewhere in between realistic and cartoony. Harpy Gee isn't full Saturday Morning but it's definitely toward the cartoonier end of the spectrum. This makes for some pretty dynamic action sequences, some threatening yet cute monsters, and some really expressive characters. But as someone once said, you don't have to take my word for it:

(Okay, actually you might for now since my Web host isn't cooperating. I'll post the art samples as soon as I can.)

And now it's time for everyone's favorite Comic of the Month party game, pin the tail on the content warning!
  • It's not that there's not violence aplenty, but it's largely slapstick played for humor. (Which can be a bit of a problem when one obnoxious guard's death is treated as a joke, but that's an isolated incident.) What violence isn't slapstick can lead to a handful of intense or scary action scenes, but nothing brutal. There is a teeny-tiny bit of blood at one point. Read it before you hand it to a kid, but it's PG at worst.
  • There's violence against aggressive fauna, but they tend to be fine. Just a bit embarrassed. Still, I could see that being a turnoff for some folks. I find it a little uncomfy myself in the earlier chapters.
  • Naughty words are typically censored or replaced with alternatives (No profanity in any language can match the intensity of Humphrey saying "Fart" near the beginning of one chapter) but a little one slipped through at one point.
  • Despite a fair amount of emphasis on romance, there's no sex. At most, there is the very occasional bit of mild cleavage. It is discreetly implied that at least one character has parents who had sex in the past, but even that is on the mild end of PG.
  • Honestly the biggest thing is going to be the eye strain warning. Much of the comic is hand-lettered, and while that lends a lot of charm, it can also result in inconsistently sized or just really small text that's hard to read. Zoom is your friend. (The browser feature, not the videoconferencing service.)

So level up your Webcomic reading with Harpy Gee! Because I told you to!

UPDATE: I can't seem to FTP today, so while my host works on that issue, I've posted my usual art excerpt over on my Mastodon account at @linebyline@bytetower.social. (Anyone else here on the Fediverse, by the way?)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 05:31:38 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #340 on: April 01, 2023, 08:40:35 AM »
Ooh, this sounds like a fun webcomic! I'll be sure to check it out.

Also, talking about xkcd (yes, april fools, but it's a masterpiece in its own right), have you heard of the tumblr blog There's an xkcd for that? It's a blog that attempts to find relevant xkcd comics for random tumblr posts, and can be quite entertaining if you enjoy xkcd comics.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #341 on: April 01, 2023, 08:41:25 AM »
Sounds cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!
- Simcha Fisher

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2023, 11:03:55 PM »
Sorry for the double post but something just dawned on me. In chapter one...
Spoiler: show
Humphrey's sister Halesia is reveled to be behind the dragon attack on the party. It's presented as a prank; she brushes off the fact that someone died as a result, and it was Dude Bro, so it's not hard to play it off as a joke.

And then in chapter three...
The fact that the dragon got relocated is what enables the plant-monster Urtica to attempt a takeover of the castle. The dragon was meant to protect Podunkello. (I don't remember what chapter it was, but a flashback shows Wolf teaching Harpy that the elves of Welferingum have a partnership of sorts with the dragons, who live around the edges of the kingdom serving the same kind of protective purpose.)

In chapter five...
Halesia visits Podunkello and casts an anti-monster barrier around the town. It's revealed that the visit was actually a pretext to look for a dangerous and powerful artifact that once belonged to Humphrey and Halesia's mother. And the barrier, which negatively affects any monsters inside it (like Pumpkin and Humphrey), also prevents anyone (except Harpy) from leaving town and is actually a way to coerce the Duke into coughing up the artifact.

So, putting that all together:
The point of sending the dragon to the party was not just to bother Humphrey. It was a ploy to get rid of the dragon so that she'd have an excuse to replace it with the anti-monster barrier.

I almost can't believe I never put that together. But that's what I get for never rereading the comic until now. Lots of things are set up early for you to go back and see once the later chapters pay them off. (Shame the archive is so hard to navigate.) Drouhard says in the author notes for page one that she never made a comic before, but you can tell she went into this one with a plan.

EDIT: More Ch 5:
And when the Duke makes a point of referring to Ash as the gardener rather than a guard when Halesia and her entourage show up, was that to keep Ash's secret from Halesia? Or did he know that it was Ash's mom inside that armor?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:10:37 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #343 on: April 07, 2023, 12:12:24 PM »
I just finished Chapter 2. The art and the characters are indeed adorable! Wolf strongly reminds me of Onni, partially because of looks but not only so. I’m finding Harpy to be kind of Reynir-ish :)

The most best thing about the colorful art are the background critters such as the baby dragons. And I really like the pages where backgrounds are mostly monochromatic and only the key elements or the characters are in color. The lettering is a bit straining for the eyes like you said, but I’m reading on iPad so I can zoom as much as needed.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2023, 05:55:26 AM »
Oooh thank you for reminding me that Harpy Gee exists<3 It's been several years since I read it and I adored it the first time around. Time for a reread!
Am notified of private messages via email.