Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31755 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2022, 07:43:06 PM »
Linebyline
I liked freelancer, though reading through tumblr was tough.  I like the story, but it ended so quickly.  It was kinda cool the artist used it as a springboard to develop their story and art skills.  Though so much is unanswered
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2022, 06:16:38 PM »
Update update: Phantomarine is back from hiatus! And the artist of Shaderunners has recovered (this I perhaps already announced). Widdershins is planning to start the final act ”start of November” but hasn’t restarted yet.

Keep, you are on :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #257 on: November 04, 2022, 09:00:04 PM »
Whoohoo lots of comics are back..happy November

-Frank Zappa

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2022, 02:57:32 AM »
Alright, folks! Sorry for being late, it's been exam season lately, but here I am with November's comic of the month:

Tiger, Tiger

by Petra Nordlund

Tiger, Tiger is a story of a young noble lady, who steals her brother's identity and his ship to sail across the world to find love and adventure, and to write a book about her favourite subject: the fascinating life cycle of sea sponges!

Start Here

Tiger, Tiger is a swashbuckling story, so there's plenty of action and drama galore! We follow Ludovica, a young, scientifically-minded noble lady who wants nothing more than to study sea sponges in their natural habitat. In order to achieve her dream, she steals her brother's ship to sail unto new horizons! Following her is a vibrant cast of characters including Jamis, the first mate and Ludo's fiance, Remy, Ludo's brother, their crewmate Honeyfoot, and a mysterious and seemingly death-defying figure named Luck. Behind all their adventures are the machinations of old gods, creeping rot and ancient evil forces - not everything is what it appears to be on the surface.

Basic content warnings: there is some nudity and sexual references, but no explicit sex or genitals edit: there is an appearance of genitals on page 441 - it's quite distant but people may want the warning.. Violence and gore is present, but definitely below SSSS-levels, and there's also some depictions of alcohol.

Tiger, Tiger is still updating and is currently on its second book! The art is black-and-white, and fairly detailed - I find it quite nice to look at.

I hope you folks enjoy it!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 11:40:37 PM by Keep Looking »
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #259 on: November 06, 2022, 02:06:32 PM »
More update update, Blonde Sunrise seems to be back! There are two new pages, but no explanation for why it went silent so soon after having returned. Anyways, it is not dead! So worth checking back to every now and then.

Also Barbarous has been updating for a while now, and remains interesting! It’s infuriating how slow it goes :)

Thank you Keep!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2022, 02:12:02 PM »
Reading WebComics helps keep you patient :)

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2022, 10:50:28 PM »
Ha, that they do! I know it wasn't featured in this thread, but Blindsprings' author recently announced that she's going to resume updating...sometime next year. Meanwhile, Vainglorious (is it a COTM? It was the example COTM) is on an unexpected and hopefully brief hiatus while the author recovers from COVID-19. Hopefully she's all better and posting again by Monday.

As for [/i]Tiger, Tiger[/i], I've made it up to page 59. Jamis is tentatively my favorite character. "I should never make decisions when riled up," indeed. But everyone so far is standing up off the page. Great character writing.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2022, 05:35:17 PM »
Linebyline, I’m caught up with Suihira and I love it! Thank you for the recommendation!

Sadly, it’s going on an irregular updating schedule but that’s life with webcomics. Anyways Book 1 was just finished earlier this year so there is one arc to read already, if you haven’t yet!

Also, who wants to take December?

dmeck7755

« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2022, 06:07:16 PM »
Linebyline, I’m caught up with Suihira and I love it! Thank you for the recommendation!

Sadly, it’s going on an irregular updating schedule but that’s life with webcomics. Anyways Book 1 was just finished earlier this year so there is one arc to read already, if you haven’t yet!

Also, who wants to take December?

I can do December. 

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »
Great, you are in!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #265 on: November 24, 2022, 05:14:36 PM »
Keep, I have started Tiger, Tiger, and it really is very beautiful! The comments ate a bit irritating, there is a lot of ”oh wow upon re-reading xxx seems very different”. No full on spoilers, but too much pointing to future themes for me to dare read them.

And hey, another Finnish artist! Yay!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2022, 09:57:57 PM »
Keep, I have started Tiger, Tiger, and it really is very beautiful! The comments ate a bit irritating, there is a lot of ”oh wow upon re-reading xxx seems very different”. No full on spoilers, but too much pointing to future themes for me to dare read them.

And hey, another Finnish artist! Yay!

Yes, it's a good comic, and by another Finnish artist (there seem to be a lot of good Finnish webcomic artists!). I'm glad you're enjoying it!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #267 on: November 28, 2022, 02:32:23 PM »
Wow Phantomarine is going strong! Anyone interested if I open a discussion for it?

dmeck7755

« Reply #268 on: November 28, 2022, 03:42:54 PM »
I think that would be nice.  the Discord is really active and the creator is very active there. 

Discord is sometimes hard for me to follow, so someplace to discuss the comic would be nice. 

-Frank Zappa

dmeck7755

« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2022, 07:50:47 AM »
New month new Comic.  I was off last week, so I had time to prep things.  So for December I present:

The comic I'm presenting this month is called Gifts of Wandering Ice.   This comic has been going since 2014.

It is written by Olga Makarova
Her bio:
Born in 1985. Russian sci-fi and fantasy writer and freelance illustrator.
Lives in Ufa (a capital of Bashkortostan Republic in Russia) with her husband and son. Works in a small animation studio as a 3D artist. Has a degree in biology. Is a cat person.

The link to the first page is https://giftscomic.com/index.php?comic_id=0

About page:
https://giftscomic.com/about.php

The short "elevator" speech about the comic:
"Gifts of wandering ice" is a science fiction comic about ancient things people find in melting icebergs.
The old civilization, perished in tsunamis and floods and preserved by the ice age that followed, now reminds of itself in form of “ice gifts” – objects (and sometimes diseases) locked in icebergs melting by the shores of the archipelago where the last people live.

What’s in the story: green postapocalypse, matriarchal society where human life is valued greatly, ancient secrets of lost civilizations, ziplines, cableways, curiously shaped hexagonal basalt formations, and melting icebergs.

This is definitely a post apocalypse story.

Things I like:
This is a very complex story and it is very well written. If you like details and explanations of why things are, this is right up your alley.  World building is really top notch in my opinion. 

The author's notes are very helpful, she does explain things that may be confusing and tosses some back story, so they should be read.

Things I don't like:
This is a very complex story, sometimes I get lost and have to go back and reread things.  (Though the author will post past page numbers for people to look back if she references them) There are a lot of balls that get juggled here.

Art:
The comic started out in color, but is in black and white.  The art is really good and the black and white does not subtract from this.

Sex/Relationships/Nudity:
Familial type of relationships, no sex, no nudity  Rarely mentioned.

Violence:
Yes, it is a violent world they live in.  (Some blood, not much in the way of gore, though it is insinuated. Some war and sickness images)

Consistency:
Very consistent updates Mondays and Fridays. (NOTE: Currently we are on book 3 , it is almost over.  She mentioned a hiatus before book 4.  Last time it was only 2 weeks.)

Other:
I am not going to go through the story lines (There are too many, and I'd end up writing a book.The about and characters pages do help) I find the story and the comic to be very entertaining and thought provoking.  I hope you will agree.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 07:58:27 AM by dmeck7755 »

-Frank Zappa