Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 30739 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2021, 05:41:30 AM »
Spoilers for White Noise, up to early chapter 7

Spoiler: show
Noooooooo! Hawk my boy is getting tortured! I am sure he’s going to get out of this, but such a traumatic experience 😭

Also I love the way there are different variations of transgender experience between the various characters, and how Hawk and Liya have just the perfect attitude (i.e. no attitude at all - why would this be  weird?) despite being to a large extent unschooled country kids.

I am torn between reading White Noise, which is still slow for me, and writing for SSSS. I want to catch up on WN to be able to properly discuss :) If I open a thread for it now, will anyone be interested in talking about it with me, or is it better to start a dedicated thread for up to date discussion only?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2021, 08:30:45 AM »
I am torn between reading White Noise, which is still slow for me, and writing for SSSS. I want to catch up on WN to be able to properly discuss :) If I open a thread for it now, will anyone be interested in talking about it with me, or is it better to start a dedicated thread for up to date discussion only?

I would love to talk about White Noise with you, although I'll probably have more time for it once my exams are over in a few weeks. But that means you might have caught up, which would be good.

Also - ah, yeah, you're at that bit! Poor Hawk for sure.

And yeah! I think WN does a great job of representing different trans experience (trans men, trans women, gender-non-conforming people, and also variety in how recently they've actually realised that they're trans), and I agree! I really like how Hawk and Liya's attitudes are, because I think it sends the really important message that even if you don't 100% understand everything or know all the right terms, you can still be a trans ally just by being respectful - y'know, respecting people's names, pronouns, choices in how they present themselves - and trying your best to learn how to accept and care for your friends. I genuinely think that that's the most important thing.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »
Ok deal, just tell me when :) Or if I manage to catch up, I’ll open it anyway. Anyone else is of course also welcome to discuss and to open any new threads they wish to talk in.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2021, 11:49:16 AM »
The Comic of the Month for November 2021 is Girl Genius by Phil and Kaja Foglio, inked by Cheyenne Wright.

Read it here:
Today’s page https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php#.YYFcyIFHmhA
Start from the beginning: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

I notice the comic has been running for 19 years this week!

This Comic of the Month is recommended by Róisín, as well as her husband Star I believe. Róisín aske med to post this to make sure the links work, but she provided the following to present the comic.

So,,with no further ado, please proceed to read and discuss Girl Genius!

GIRL GENIUS

Girl Genius is a webcomic by Phil and Kaja Foglio, inked by Cheyenne Wright. It has been variously described as science fiction, science fantasy, Victorian gothic or gaslamp fantasy, and may well be all of the above. The characters are strange but relatable.

The setting so far is mostly parts of Europa (America has been lost as far as most people know - it may well still be there but is cut off by weirdness down the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Britain is still there, but keeps to itself and is ruled by an immortal queen who likes to keep it separate.

The world seems to be post-apocalyptic, though what kind of apocalypse exactly happened has so far not been specified, with much of the surviving population controlled by devices called ‘slaver wasps’ which reduce their hosts to shambling zombie-like creatures which are directed…..or not….. by some of the ‘Sparks’, humans who have a talent for mad science which is so powerful it amounts to a kind of magic. Sparks may be good, neutral or evil, or various combinations thereof, and vary hugely in power level from ‘their machines just work a bit better’ to ‘can create machine intelligences, living buildings, and organic constructs that might as well be people’. Then there is Othar Tryggvasen, a powerful Spark whose life ambition is to wipe out all the other Sparks and then commit suicide. He is an interesting character.

The main story follows Agatha Heterodyne, the Girl Genius of the title, and opens with her being an apprentice and science student at Transylvania Polygnostic University. She believes herself to be the daughter of Adam and Lilith Clay, who run a blacksmith’s shop in a nearby town, and has no idea that her ‘parents’ are Punch and Judy, two powerful constructs whose job is to conceal from the world that their ‘daughter’ is in fact the last survivor of the infamous Heterodyne lineage of Sparks. Events transpire at the University that create a situation which brings Baron Klaus Wulfenbach to investigate a possible incident of a rogue Spark working there. Wulfenbach has been responsible for giving Europa such law and order as it has regained, and really doesn’t like rogue Sparks who may casually tear down such civilisation as he has managed to reconstruct.

In his youth he was a friend and associate of the Heterodyne Boys, the last two of the lineage known to have survived, and they were ‘good Heterodynes’ who were more likely to destroy or control monsters rather than to create more of them. Not all of the Heterodynes were like them. However, some twenty years before the story opens Klaus and the Heterodyne Boys disappear in the course of one of their adventures trying to clean up and reopen Europa. The Boys are never seen again but Klaus eventually turns up again, carrying with him a small child whom he acknowledges as his son and heir. He brings Europa back to some kind of civilisation, ruling from an airship city, and brings his son, who is now in his late teens/early twenties, with him on his trip to deal with this university problem, wanting to see if the boy is fit to succeed him.

Meanwhile, Agatha is mugged on her way to university by a returned soldier from the perpetual wars that are going on in Europa, and her locket is stolen. Unknown to her, the locket is a device that keeps her from ‘breaking through’, that is, from becoming a powerful Spark. So when she comes into power, she has no concept of what is going on……she has suddenly become very dangerous, very valuable, and a threat to everyone including herself. Now read on!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »
White Noise thread now here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1268.0 (includes spoilers).

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
I've been reading Girl Genius for years and am caught up on it.

For anyone starting it from the beginning: there is a whole lot of it to get caught up on.

ETA: I really ought to try to get back to White Noise. I think it's all that white text on black that put me off it.

And I should get back to ARTD, while I'm at it. I have kept up on Barbarous (which also has its own thread.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:45:55 PM by thorny »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2021, 10:58:55 PM »
The current developments in the tale are fascinating! What a way to hide the Guildhall, which I suspect may be one of the many physical bodies of the entity which is the Castle. I have taken the opportunity to go back to the beginning and do a reread, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Looking forward to my favourite parts of the story: the ‘coffee engine’ arc and ‘Maxim buys a hat’.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2021, 12:25:36 AM »
I really ought to try to get back to White Noise.

So I got back to White Noise.

And -- how did it get to be past midnight? and the wood stove's gone out. (there's also central heat oilburner for a backup.) and there's still eight chapters to go. Not gonna be caught up on that one tonight.

Róisín, we have some of the same favorites.

Róisín

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2021, 02:18:52 AM »
I know you and I are not the only GG fans here, I wonder which parts Wavewright especially likes?

I think the characters I like best are Higgs, Tarvek and the Storyteller (whom I gather to be Phil’s avatar in the comic). I would love to hear the backstory of how Ognion comes to be the Storyteller’s great-grandfather! I’m sure it is quite a tale. And I’m pretty sure Higgs must be a Jagermonster, possibly the prototype Jager, for all that he looks human. And my headcanon is that Gil and Zeetha are siblings.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2021, 03:28:43 AM »
I haven't read Girl Genius before, but I'll have to check it out once my exam tomorrow is over and I've got a bit of time on my hands! I'm looking forwards to reading it.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2021, 03:42:33 AM »
And I’m pretty sure Higgs must be a Jagermonster, possibly the prototype Jager, for all that he looks human.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2021, 04:18:47 AM »
Thanks, JoB! I had either missed or forgotten that arc of the story! I do like the detail of Oggy lecturing Zeetha about not letting Higgs see that she is disappointed in his too-human looks (as if she would be).

thorny

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »
I’m pretty sure Higgs must be a Jagermonster, possibly the prototype Jager, for all that he looks human. And my headcanon is that Gil and Zeetha are siblings.

Spoiled for spoilers:

ETA: whoops! forgot to refresh the page and check for other comments before posting. I'll let it stand, though; and some of what I said wasn't covered.

-- if you're not entirely sure about Higgs by now, either you're not caught up, or you missed something major a while back. [ETA: I was actually thinking of a different reveal, before that, involving Tarvek; but JoB's is even better.]

-- I don't think the sibling relationship has been spelled out yet, but I'm pretty sure that you're right; there have been extremely strong hints in that direction.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:52:17 PM by thorny »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Is there some particular place where you would suggest for jumping in? There must be thousands of pages, so starting from the beginning will cause me never to catch up :)

I have read the first two volumes now, and I’m still on the fence. The environments and backgrounds are fascinating, and I like many of the bright colors. On the other hand I don’t like the way humans (and jagermonsters etc) are drawn, and so far haven’t gotten used to that. The world and the story seems interesting, but none of the characters are likeable. Agatha is ok but even she hasn’t much grown to me yet.

Still, I find myself reading on, so… maybe I’ll have at least made up my mind by end of the month :)

Btw as you want to discuss GG, you are more than welcome to open a thread for it, either now or at end of month at the latest.

catbirds

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2021, 01:12:30 AM »
Hey, can I take a spot for Comic of the Month some time in the new year? I started reading Warm Blood recently and I think it'd be pretty interesting to talk about, but it looks like I'm a little late to this whole thing ;D

I'm kind of confused about the sign-up process, though, but if I also need to write a description, let me know.