Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 30121 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2021, 11:25:19 PM »
Hi folks! It's my turn on the comic of the month for October.

My comic of the month is White Noise by Adrien Lee - however, just for a bit of clarification: there are two notable webcomics called White Noise. The one I'll be talking about is the one that started in 2010 with the bird guy and the multiple dimensions, not the one that started in 2005 with the aliens and genetic mutations - although I hear that that one is also quite good, so check it out if you want to read another comic after this one!

But back to the comic that I'm discussing. Here's a link to the latest page, and here's a link to where you can start.

The comic follows two half-siblings separated because of the conflict that's going on in their own country, and their journeys as they seek to find each other and also find and build better lives. It's set in a world with several magical/fantasy elements but at a time equivalent to the early 2000s in our world. The comic has very interesting and in-depth worldbuilding, but I'd say it's driven the most by its characters and character dynamics, which are very well-written.

The comic is set in a world where there's conflict driven by prejudice between different groups (humans and monsters), and thus it contains depictions of violence, warfare and discrimination, as well as some physical injury (although much less gore than SSSS). It does contain some light nudity, but there are no genitals shown and all sex-scenes fade-to-black (it's not explicit). Personally I think the comic deals very well with some very heavy topics, and generally the heavier scenes are balanced out by plenty of more light-hearted interactions. As the author is trans, the comic also explores trans experiences through several of the side characters, including discussions of dysphoria that might hit a bit close if you're trans yourself, so fair warning about that.

White Noise is definitely one of my all-time favourite webcomics because of its characters and themes, and I've re-read it many, many times. It's still currently updating and is nearing the end of its first major arc, although since it only updates once per week the progress goes very slowly. I hope you guys check it out and enjoy it!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2021, 02:41:20 PM »
here's a link to where you can start

The description under that page
Spoiler: show
matches neither that page nor the next one. Is it meant to be not a description, but some sort of background? It reads like description, though, right down to the wording "the top of the page reads".

-- will continue reading, but ought to at least mostly wait till dark or till the rain starts --

thorny

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2021, 12:58:06 PM »
Probably doesn't need a spoiler: there's information in the text under the illustrations that isn't there in the illustrations themselves. This appears to be meant not as a standard comic/graphic novel but as an illustrated story?

thorny

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Coming back briefly to Alice Grove:

Spoiler: show
Interesting enough to carry me through it; but I'm not a great fan of 'this/these character(s) have nearly infinite power'. Alice was a lot more interesting when I thought she was mostly human; there isn't really much of anything interesting to me about 'the laws of physics are optional for us', because once the author's said that, they can just do anything at all and it doesn't have to relate to anything else. And I agree with those saying there doesn't seem to be a clear idea of what the story's trying to say.

As for White Noise: yeah, that's sucked me in so far. Enjoying it. Not at all sure where it's going; but I've only had time for one chapter so far, so that's interesting, not frustrating. (I bet that slow update's going to be frustrating when I catch up -- but if it's keeping the creator from burnout, probably worth it.)
-- ETA: and nice artwork!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:06:30 PM by thorny »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2021, 11:41:47 PM »
I had not previously encountered ‘White Noise’ but am finding it most interesting so far. And as you say, good art. Especially the expressions on the characters, and the fine details, for example the grass of that field and the way the rain and flames are drawn. And the detail of Hawk’s feathers. No wonder the update pace is slow!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2021, 01:28:13 AM »
Probably doesn't need a spoiler: there's information in the text under the illustrations that isn't there in the illustrations themselves. This appears to be meant not as a standard comic/graphic novel but as an illustrated story?

The text under the illustrations functions as an image description (describing in words what's happening in the comic pages) to make the comic accessible for people with limited/no vision who use screenreaders, or in my case for when the internet's gone dodgy and the comic page isn't loading. The text doesn't contain any information that can't be found on the comic page itself, although sometimes if you read through it you might notice things you missed when looking at the page. The text below also sometimes contain notes from the author, especially at the start and end of chapters.

Also, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the comic so far!

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2021, 10:44:23 AM »
The text doesn't contain any information that can't be found on the comic page itself, although sometimes if you read through it you might notice things you missed when looking at the page.

At least a couple of times I looked back at the page, looking hard, and couldn't find something that was in the text.

I've seen a couple of references in the comments to things having been changed since they were first posted, though -- maybe sometimes either the text or the comic have been changed but not both of them?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2021, 02:04:06 PM »
At least a couple of times I looked back at the page, looking hard, and couldn't find something that was in the text.

I've seen a couple of references in the comments to things having been changed since they were first posted, though -- maybe sometimes either the text or the comic have been changed but not both of them?

There are some things that can’t be really shown in the pictures, like saying it’s hot. And some of the flashbacks are easier to understand from the text. And the names come up earlier than in the speech bubbles. So, it’s useful even though not necessarily essential.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »
I’m at the end of chapter three now and I like it a lot! Particularly I wanted to say I love the way people, including the human-looking people, have different body shapes. Even central characters! Teige isn’t thin 😍 And as I believe he has some wiggle room, he perhaps could be thin if he wanted to, but chooses (??) not to 😍😍

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2021, 06:07:50 AM »
I’m back and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I repeat. I love White Noise! Thank you so much Keep for recommending it!

It’s a bit slow for me to read as I read the text every time and then end up poring over the comic page again :) So I’m still in Chapter 5 (Hawk my dear boy  <3 )

And no, it turns out Teige doesn’t have wiggle room with his appearance.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 07:16:55 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it so much! It's one of my all-time favourite ever webcomics so it's really good to hear other people loving it too. I think reading it slowly is definitely good, because it means you can take everything in! I'm a very fast reader myself but I've re-read White Noise many times and have definitely spent time poring over the different details.

And, yeah, no (sorry for not responding earlier!) the author does do a great job of depicting different body types, even if the characters don't have absolute agency over how their bodies look.

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
It slows me down partly because of reading the text (which really does include things not shown in the panels, I've seen more examples), but also because, while I know some people find it easier, I find reading white text on black unpleasant; so I glance at the page, think 'I ought to read that', and just go away instead. I'll try to get back to it, I do think it's worth reading.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2021, 06:21:19 PM »
Hey who wants to do one in October? Róisín? I can add the link for you if you want, but perhaps you could write a description/ recommendation? In November that is, not now! Or anyone else of course!

Still loving White Noise in general and Hawk and Teige in particular! It’s hard to know how to discuss it when not everyone is on the same point in the story (I am a long away from caught up, when I do I will be keen to discuss!)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2021, 11:12:29 PM »
I would love to! I’ll do Girl Genius if you like? Could I write up what I wanted to say about it and send it to you, since I can’t make links?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
Róisín, that works well too! It’s agreed!