Author Topic: Tell me about Short Stories!  (Read 3487 times)

Opaque

• Scout
Re: Tell me about Short Stories!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 02:33:48 PM »
I have not thought about short stories since I was in school. I completely forgot that they were a thing. And now y'all got me hooked. See what you did? This is your fault.
... not that I'm complaining.  ;)

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 06:43:09 PM »
Re, what makes a short story compelling:

To be honest, the thing that first drew me to short stories was their literal brevity.  When I was younger -- like, teenager into early 20s -- there was this sourceless, vague sense that I was supposed to Get Books on a Deep Level and Have Smart Thoughts About Them. And also this (again, sourceless and vague) sense that I was wasting my life if I didn't read at all, and (perceived) pressure to Read All the Recommended Things. I think that kind of anxiety exists for a lot of people who got good grades when they were a kid. You know, that "what if I'm unable to do anymore what I think people expect me to do and then I look stupid and people think I have no more worth" feeling.

Short stories were nice because they were digestible. I could read one quickly, minimizing the amount of time I spent feeling anxious that I wasn't Thinking Hard Enough, but still feel afterward that I had made some progress toward Being More Well-Read. They also give you quick exposure to a lot of different authors, if you're reading a variety anthology instead of a single-author collection. That made me feel a little better as well, like I was covering more ground that way. If anybody asked me if I had read Heinlein, I could say, "Oh yes, that one short story he had in The Best of Fantasy and Science Fiction Vol 1." Even if I couldn't have a smart conversation about it, at least I felt like I was In the Club. But still, that fear of not measuring up, not looking smart enough, the fear of feeling dumb while reading something that was supposed to be inspiring and impactful, poisoned how I read/thought about books for a long, long time.

(Wow, even just writing this reflection makes my chest tighten with stress.)

I still really appreciate the brevity and breadth of a collection of short stories, and would rather have a volume of short stories than any single-story book. A single short story, shared between people, is so much easier to sit down and read than a recommended book, so it lends itself to sharing. And a good short story has such a thematic purity to it -- instead of a piece of music, which a longer work of prose might be, the skillfully-written short story is a struck bell, or pair or trio of bells. Direct, clear in its vision (even if its final message is ambiguous, a la Turn of the Screw, which was wonderful), impactful. The poetry of stories.

I felt this way when somebody shared that Ursula K LeGuin short story in the Lovely People thread -- it struck straight to the heart of what it was saying by the end, and had at least two main facets that I kept going back and forth between.

It's very interesting to me, Songbird, that the thing you like is how a larger world can be hinted at by a short story without needing to be explored -- and Sc0ut, you've said something similar, that the lack of descriptive detail allows you to fill in the gaps in the setting yourself. The sense that I'm looking at just a piece of something larger/incomplete often bothers me, possibly because of that old fear of Not Getting the Whole Picture and not being smart enough to see it. But the way you talk about it, it makes a short story seem sort of floaty and gauzy, you know, a delicate shred wafting gently on a broad, undefined wind. (I don't really know how to describe it better than that, sorry, that's just how it looks in my head.) I would like to be able to appreciate that aspect of short stories someday.
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 08:34:28 PM »
SkyWhalePod, you describe my relationship to literature very well!  :'D

I always put it down to being more interested in Science and Facts (which are not the same thing, despite what many think), plus I just wanted to enjoy the darn story, not dissect it. Um, which does lead me to question why I'm (sort of) okay with dissecting plants or animals, but that's a totally different topic.

All through school I hated English, because we'd pick apart stories and plays, and everybody else seemed to get it, but I just found it spoiled my enjoyment of the plot. Extra bonus, my SO has an MA in English Literature, and my stepdaughter got a BA in English Lit before becoming a vet - when they get going, I just tune out. I just cannot get into minute literary analysis.

I kind of suspect that this is why I enjoy web comics and graphic novels. When I read a novel I tend to race through it to "find out what happens", and miss important stuff along the way. If the important stuff is portrayed graphically, I'm more likely to catch it. And web comics, at least ones that are actively updating, force a slower pace and I'm likely to go back and look at earlier pages while awaitng an update. Short stories have some of the same characteristics. Yes, I can still race through, but then it's not as daunting to go back. Much easier to look for a detail in the first third of a 12 page story than a 600 page novel!

Another thing I've realised as I've been thinking about what makes a good short story is that I am much more open to challenging, dark themes in a short story. A good friend thrust a David Adams Richards novel at us. We both tried to read it, and we both failed miserably... because it was a miserable read! It falls in a genre that I think of as "Maritime Misery" - all about poor, downtrodden people who remain poor and downtrodden, exploring in unrelenting, excruciating detail all the reasons they're as they are. For hundreds of pages. But Those Who Walk Away From Omelas probably shares some thematic threads, yet I've read it a number of times, and enjoyed it. I have thought about and discussed the ideas that Le Guin presumably hoped that her readers would consider.

So, for me a good short story has all the elements you'd find in any novel, but distilled to their essence. I can "find out what happened" easily, but equally easily go back and find the details. Perhaps it's also easier to understand what the author's point was, when it isn't buried under a whole pile of descriptions, secondary plots, and peripheral characters. Sort of like this post, in which I suspect I've buried my point... but I'm afraid it's the end of a long day, so I'm not editing at this point!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 11:30:20 PM »
Something that I like about short stories is that they are easy to read in one sitting. Reading longer stories has a higher chance of me putting it down and never picking it back up again due to a lack of motivation to finish the book. Short stories don't have that issue; I get to enjoy the plot and have fun without getting bored or worn out from reading it. I also agree with what others have said in that short stories can be more impactful due to their length than if it were drawn out across hundreds of pages.
:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
I just finished a collection of short stories by Carmen Maria Machado and wow! That was… I don’t know what it was, but it certainly was thought-provoking. It’s a collection titled Her body and other parties in English (I read the Finnish translation) and it has won the Shirley Jackson Award.

The stories haunt the darkness between magic realism and horror, with a hefty lump of SciFi and/or fantasy thrown into the mix and shaken vigorously. Many of the stories also have graphic sexual content so it’s for adults only. Several of the stories are more or less subtle body horror, sometimes wrapped up with sex. I think it speaks louder for readers with female-typical bodies, but then I have no experience in a male-type body so I don’t actually know.

My favorite story in the collection is the novella Especially Heinous, based on the episode list of Law & Order: SVU. It starts slightly surreal and proceeds to become quite a fascinating trip.

I’m sorry I can’t seem to get much said, as I don’t want to spoil any of the stories. But if you like subtle weirdness and twisted tales worlds, and don’t mind body horror and sex, it may be worth checking out.

Oh and BTW I don’t like horror because I can’t take it. So it’s not particularly horrendous horror, at least in terms of what scares me. It’s more eerie than scary.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:59:07 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

ohnosir

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2021, 02:00:16 AM »
I highly recommend anything by Ray Bradbury. I saw the suggestion of There Will Come Soft Rains here, and that's really what got me into him. After that, check out Sound of Thunder. But aside from those you don't even have to be a sci fi fan, his short stories span a broad range of...really any topic, any human topic at all. And he could make a beautiful and heartfelt story out of two pages. If I was to recommend a book, it would be the Martian Chronicles, which is not a novel  but a series of vignettes.
I would also recommend Harlan Ellison along the same lines, but he's the whole cynical negativity vs Bradbury's hopefulness. "Jeffty is Five" is a piece of art but a real goddamn heartbreaker

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2021, 04:13:49 AM »
ohnosir, I totally agree about both Ellison and Bradbury. May I also recommend Fredric Brown, especially ‘Nightmares and Geezenstacks’ and any short stories by Shirley Jackson. Have you read Bradbury’s ‘Dandelion Wine’? Brilliant.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

ohnosir

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »
Oh gosh, Dandelion Wine hits different. It's one of my favourites though. It is hands-down the best display of the nostalgic, emotional and yet fantastical power of his stories. I only rank it behind Martian Chronicles because 1) aliens and 2) the VISUALS of Mars
And I have a few Fredric Brown books somewhere I know...I inherited an unreasonable amount of sci fi/fantasy books from my dad a few years ago and I KNOW that name. Shirley Jackson, I love her stories, I've read them in several anthologies, but I haven't read any of her novels yet!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2022, 09:34:36 AM »
Here’s a brilliant and very short story They Are Made Out of Meat by Terry Bisson (1991).

https://www.mit.edu/people/dpolicar/writing/prose/text/thinkingMeat.html

I want to dedicate this post to @thegreyarea

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2022, 12:03:22 PM »
Here’s a brilliant and very short story They Are Made Out of Meat by Terry Bisson (1991).

Jitter!!  Thank you so much for pointing the story out.  I read it years ago and recently was trying to find it.  (I wanted to send it to a friend) I am *so* glad you had found it.

Thank you!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2022, 12:46:49 PM »
Yeah, the Bisson story is chilling in its simplicity.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2022, 03:40:42 PM »
Great! I’m glad you like it, and that it was useful! I came across it in a Facebook post and there were man comments exactly like ours, Grey, that the commenter remembers it from a long time ago and was happy to get back to it :)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2022, 07:20:31 AM »

Wow, the meaty membranes that cover those gelatin-filled spheres that capture light and turn it in electric-chemical impulses openned wide when I saw that mention, and my sponge-like meaty brain jumped in excitement!
After that the spongy thing knew what to do! It ordered some articulated meaty parts at the end of the meat-bag forelimbs to tap several times at small plastic squeres on a machine* to convey the proper response:

Thank you!

Yes, it's complicated... But that's how meat works :)

*Uff, something that's not made of meat!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

dmeck7755

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2022, 09:17:56 AM »
Speaking twisty stories :)

This one is one I happen to like also

The Road Not Taken
Harry Turtledove

https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

hopefully the link will work for everyone!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »
It worked, thank you dmeck! Great, albeit depressing, a story.