Author Topic: Eurovision Song contest  (Read 15172 times)

snotra

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Eurovision Song contest
« on: May 08, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »
Considering that in two weeks the Eurovision song contest will be taking place, do any of you have a special appreciation/depreciation for the whole contest and the songs entered?
Naturally, I'm wondering how the eurovision will be remembered in Y90, but that's a different discussion altogether.

I for one have a rather special place in my heart for the 2013 entry of Romania. That dubstep vampire is going to linger in my mind for a while.
Languages: :netherlands: :uk:
I should know these, but rusty: :germany: :france: :italy:
Butchering at every try, but still bragging about it: Middle English (sort of)
To be added some time in the future when time and money can facilitate them: :vaticancity: :denmark: :norway: :iceland: :sweden: :finland:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Eurovision Song contest
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
While Romania 2013 was great, Germany 1979 (Dschinghis Khan) and Ukraine 2007 (Lasha Tumbai) is the essence of Eurovision (although I don't watch it).

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »
Well...

Honestly lordis Hard rock hallelujah is one of things that just keeps me amazed.
A heavymetal band in eurovision? Alright i guess it's possible with Finland having the most rock/metal bands per capita and all, but whats this? They actually won Eurovision?
The contest most famously known for its pop songs and bands like ABBA and stuff? So yeah i remember it oddly fondly because it actually managed to beat everyone else.

Now though... ehh it's not the worst thing ever, but the part the songs named after is just so gringy for me at least while the rest is pritty good to decent.

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 05:18:03 PM »
While Romania 2013 was great, Germany 1979 (Dschinghis Khan) and Ukraine 2007 (Lasha Tumbai) is the essence of Eurovision (although I don't watch it).

Wait a second... Frederik here essentially made the exact same thing, but only in finnish. I never actually knew that there was an english version in existance. I guess he was out of ideas or something.

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Hej,

This year I really like Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, and of course, Serbia.

Of previous years I know only songs from 2012 and 2014, and among those, I like a lot of songs, but my favourites are "Children of The Universe" from the UK last year and "Crno i belo" from Macedonia and "När jag blundar" from Finland in 2012.

Can't wait to hear how this year's contestants perform!
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
Wait a second... Frederik here essentially made the exact same thing, but only in finnish. I never actually knew that there was an english version in existance. I guess he was out of ideas or something.

You mean a German version presumably? I'm not surprised there are Finnish versions, there are hundreds of covers of that song.

Also, that guy looks like David Hasselhoff

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
You mean a German version presumably? I'm not surprised there are Finnish versions, there are hundreds of covers of that song.

Also, that guy looks like David Hasselhoff

Yeap he essentially is/was the buff "lady killer" who has left an unremovable mark to the finnish karaoke scene. My brother even heard people sing his songs in a bar in canary isles in a  local Finnish bar.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »
I'm going to be the one with all the embarrassing favourites am I not? I... I have no excuses but the first song Iceland ever sent to Eurovision, Gleðibankinn, has a soft spot in my heart.

...and also Eldgos, that never even made it to the Eurovision but in my opinion it should have. Awkward faux-heavy rock(?) attempt - check. Windmachine - check. A lady pretending to be an erupting volcano - check. It's such a tight roll of second hand embarrassment and sheer hysterics that with a few more sequins and miniskirts it would have been perfect... behold!

Spoiler: show
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

snotra

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
As I'm currently opening up more and more videos on this topic, I'm wondering whether the UK will ever send in anything decent again. After they dusted off Bonny Tyler a few years ago and a profound lack of attention paid to the current submission, I'm wondering whether or not they're going to send in Steeleye Span in a few years time.
Languages: :netherlands: :uk:
I should know these, but rusty: :germany: :france: :italy:
Butchering at every try, but still bragging about it: Middle English (sort of)
To be added some time in the future when time and money can facilitate them: :vaticancity: :denmark: :norway: :iceland: :sweden: :finland:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 06:13:19 PM »
I'm wondering whether the UK will ever send in anything decent again.
I had a similar conversation for France some days ago. We ended by the supposition they always do sabotage to avoid the winner's organization of Eurovision next year. Or people who choose have... special taste in music ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
I had a similar conversation for France some days ago. We ended by the supposition they always do sabotage to avoid the winner's organization of Eurovision next year. Or people who choose have... special taste in music ?

I politely disagree, this was quite an experience.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
*Discover the... "thing". Listen 45 seconds. Traumatized* It... it could't be... O_o It's a joke ? Someone had lost a bet ?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:27:28 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
*Discover the... "thing". Listen 45 seconds. Traumatized* It... it could't be... O_o It's a joke ? Someone had lost a bet ?

Well, congratulate France for not being the country that sent this one. :D

Almost forgot to mention Alcohol is Free as another favourite...

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 06:35:36 PM »

That song sounds half silly, half stolen... :P
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
What a disliked performance that one was. It only got, what, 2 points?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:57:58 PM by MrNegative »
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark: