Creative Corner > Roleplay Board

Cosplay (non-SSSS)

(1/67) > >>

Pyrite:
Ah! All of these cosplays look awesome!

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I recently got the idea to try and cosplay Tuuri, but this would be my first cosplay. Ever. I figured that I'll need to do custom work for a lot of the stuff, like her coat and cat face mask, but I don't really have that much experience fabricating things like that. So, do any of you have tips, general or otherwise, when it comes to cosplay and custom work?

Sorry for that ramble there >~<'

Divra:

--- Quote from: Pyrite on May 22, 2015, 12:42:52 PM ---Ah! All of these cosplays look awesome!

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I recently got the idea to try and cosplay Tuuri, but this would be my first cosplay. Ever. I figured that I'll need to do custom work for a lot of the stuff, like her coat and cat face mask, but I don't really have that much experience fabricating things like that. So, do any of you have tips, general or otherwise, when it comes to cosplay and custom work?

--- End quote ---

Take your time.
Focus.
Measure EVERYTHING at least twice.
Too large is a lot easier to fix than too small.
Don't be afraid to spend money on good-quality tools.
Do inexpensive things first, to hone your skills.
If you need to practice doing things that don't work with your outfit, use them for something else, or give them away.

Fimbulvarg:
On a related note: if you were to sew an SSSS uniform, what kind of fabric would you use to get the right, winter-weather proof feel? Heavy, stuffed gabardine?

Not that the information would be of much help to me, I can't sew a single button.

Curry:

--- Quote from: Pyrite on May 22, 2015, 12:42:52 PM ---Ah! All of these cosplays look awesome!

--- End quote ---

Patterns are really useful for things like coats and don't be afraid to modify them! Don't use satin. It's cheap but it looks REALLY SHINY in a bad way in pictures. Also, don't half-finish things, and make sure that you do the basework and prep allllll the way so your cosplay won't fall apart while you're wearing it :0 And here it comes, one of the best ways to make things look professional... interfacing

Interfacing is wonderful. That's all I have to say here :0

--- Quote from: Fimbulwaffle on May 22, 2015, 01:47:35 PM ---On a related note: if you were to sew an SSSS uniform, what kind of fabric would you use to get the right, winter-weather proof feel? Heavy, stuffed gabardine?

Not that the information would be of much help to me, I can't sew a single button.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about garbadine, and it would look pretty great, but I also live in a Very Warm Climate and I'd prefer to avoid heatstroke... Maybe thicker cotton or muslin? I really have no idea. Somebody help ;__;

Laufey:

--- Quote from: Fimbulwaffle on May 22, 2015, 01:47:35 PM ---On a related note: if you were to sew an SSSS uniform, what kind of fabric would you use to get the right, winter-weather proof feel? Heavy, stuffed gabardine?

--- End quote ---

Gabardine, possibly wool gabardine. It's warm, thick enough to create the same look and is even used for uniforms quite often, but it comes with the downside that it can be a bit tricky to clean. That would not be a big problem if the uniforms weren't so white, and pre-shrinked wool gabardine might even fare ok-ish in handwash or machine wash with gentle settings but that's always a risk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version