Worlds and Stories > Worlds & Stories Discussion Board

TV and Movie Thread

(1/43) > >>

Hrollo:
So, caricaturing, the great classic director of Sweden is Ingmar Bergman, and the great classic director of Denmark is Carl Theodor Dreyer.

But who are the equivalent for Norway, Finland and Iceland, I'm currious?

kjeks:

--- Quote from: Rollo on November 25, 2014, 01:22:28 PM ---So, caricaturing, the great classic director of Sweden is Ingmar Bergman, and the great classic director of Denmark is Carl Theodor Dreyer.

But who are the equivalent for Norway, Finland and Iceland, I'm currious?

--- End quote ---

Could list some films, please? Asking google/ecosia never brings as good results as someone who has seen the movies.

Hrollo:
Well, Bergman is known for films like The Seventh Seal, The Virgin Spring, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Cries and Whispers or From the Life of the Marionettes (that's just a sample, he directed more than 40 films). Several of his early films star Max von Sydow in major or minor roles.

He's often seen as a very artsy and intellectual director, partly because of the existentialist themes that permeate most of his movies, but in fact a movie like The Seventh Seal is short, entertaining, and was never envisaged as high art when it was directed. In any case, he's considered a very influential director, and got numerous praised by directors as diverse as Scorcese, Coppola, Woody Allen, Kubrick, Almodovar, Tarkovsky or Spielberg.

Carl Theodor Dreyer was less prolific, directing only 14 films, often in countries other than Denmark, and mostly in the silent era —but he did make a few sound films that are often highly regarded among film-buffs, notably Vampyr and The Word/Ordet.

Pessi:
For Finland it could be Aki Kaurismäki. He is quite legendary as a maker of melancholy films about marginalised people and also as an auteur, meaning that he makes the script, directs, produces and often even cuts his films mostly by himself. His best known film is probably Mies vailla menneisyyttä, A man Without a Past.

Hrollo:
Side-note: by "classic" I kind of imply "old/black and white" but that said there's no reason not talk about more recent directors in this thread either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version