This is a thread for sharing books.
When sharing new books, please state:
Title
Author
Genre (Take a guess if you don't know)
Description
Whatever other stuff you want to add

Lenny:
Waaah, a book thread!<3 Actually, I was wondering if I should start one up, but now I don't have to :D

Could we make it a request thread, too? Like we had in the General Discussion thread - someone asked for good lycanthropy books/stories and we all gave suggestions. It'd be fun.

As for books... currently, I'm reading Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski. From The Witcher series (fantasy, of course). I'm being really idiotic and reading one of the later books first, but that's because none of the other books have arrived at the library yet and I'm too excited not to start reading, haha. So far it hasn't disappointed, not at all!

And the book I was reading before that is my absolute favourite book, Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones. Fantasy, and one of her very very very few adult books. Though, the "adult" about it is mostly light swearing, people dying in a matter of fact manner, and references to sexual things - never acts. So it's pretty safe to read for most. Involves multiple universes, the caretakers of history, romance of a sort (but real, not sickly sweet horrible stuff), typical Diana wackiness, and it's just plain good. From first person perspective, but with various narrators. It's my favourite book for a reason, haha.

Sharion:

--- Quote from: Lenny on November 05, 2014, 07:28:14 PM ---As for books... currently, I'm reading Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski. From The Witcher series (fantasy, of course).

--- End quote ---
I've only read the first book (yet). Not long after that, I run into the TV series... Both of them are funny and likeable, without any Hollywood glitter. :)

--- Quote from: Lenny on November 05, 2014, 07:28:14 PM ---someone asked for good lycanthropy books

--- End quote ---
It matters what one is looking for. :)

For horror, there is Silver Bullets from King (Or was it Cycle of the Werewolf?). It's not that big of a story (started out as a calendar...), but almost a classic.
Glen Duncan's The Last Werewolf is more "modern": contains gore and... other adult material, so strictly 18+.

For more romantic people, there's Anne Rice's Wolf Gift. The story's about a young fool... er... journalist. Not her best work, but way better than her last two books. Those who like her style will like it, but if it's one's first time to read anything from her, better start with the Mayfair series. (Which is about witches. Mostly.)

I guess the WoD Werewolf series is something that role players will value. (I only read a few pieces of the series, though.)

Pelevin's  Sacred History of the Werewolf is a work of literature, meaning it's a tricky read (and has a fox spirit as main character. but werewolves make their appearance).

These were the ones suddenly coming to my mind. (Sorry to post it here: I don't read the General Discussions thread, so I don't want to randomly butt in.)

Also, as a source of great book titles (although, they are from the post-apocalyptic genre), I could recommend this thread.

Noah O.:
I feel that I must recommend the Mortal Engines Tetralogy by Philip Reeve. Steampunk/Dystopian, one of the book series I've read so far. Be warned though; these are not happy books.

Fenris:
Currently re-re-reading the Belgarion & Mallorean series by David and Leigh Eddings. Its a fantasy series, and if you want groundbreaking innovation in plot or the subversion of fantasy tropes, these aren't really the books for you. What makes them fun is the characters, characterization and the often witty dialogue more than the plot itself (which still has some interesting twists and turns).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version