Worlds and Stories > Worlds & Stories Discussion Board

Phantomarine - with spoilers

(1/7) > >>

Jitter:
This thread is for discussion about Phatomarine https://www.phantomarine.com/comic/01-the-horizon-line

There can and will be spoilers up to any then-current page, so read at own risk!

Jitter:
Now, just what is it with Hallie? On rather, in Hallie? Is it Cheline, Shoshana, or someone (or something) else entirely? It’s certainly not a benevolent goddess, if it one.

That side profile of her on page before last is a masterpiece!

dmeck7755:

--- Quote from: Jitter on December 02, 2022, 09:43:10 AM ---Now, just what is it with Hallie? On rather, in Hallie? Is it Cheline, Shoshana, or someone (or something) else entirely? It’s certainly not a benevolent goddess, if it one.

--- End quote ---

Plus there is "godspeak" in the background of the speech bubble.  I have not been able to really do any translation. 

In the Discord, any of the above are choices :)

dreki:
It may have been a benevolent goddess before the fracture - who has spiralled into madness since.  Or at least a goddess presumed to be benevolent who has since gone off her rocker enough to show her true colors.

Grandma certainly doesn't trust her, I'd really like to know more about how Grandma is able to communicate with her like that - since no one alive seems able to speak with Cheth and "Hallie" seems to be doing god-speak.

--- Quote from: Jitter on December 02, 2022, 09:43:10 AM ---Now, just what is it with Hallie? On rather, in Hallie? Is it Cheline, Shoshana, or someone (or something) else entirely? It’s certainly not a benevolent goddess, if it one.

--- End quote ---

She hasn't got the hair trident so I think Phaedra would be very sad for that to be Shoshana.  I kind of feel like Cheline after Cheth's recent breakdown over Shoshana.

Linebyline:
Hmm... Maybe that's what the glasses are for.

Fake Halea is giving off massive Cheline vibes in this chapter, between the clear parallels to the Cheline statue and the god-tongue background of the speech bubble, but I'm still not entirely convinced. Cheth seems to be under the impression that Cheline isn't a villain, per se; he's more frustrated/disappointed with her. The one he outright despises is Shoshana, and even then it's heavily implied to be a fake Shoshana distinct from the real Shoshana whom he's actually quite fond of.

So my first guess would be that Halea's puppeteer is the fake Shoshana. But even if that's true, it doesn't tell us much. Who is the fake Shoshana? Was she Cheline after all, or someone else? Perhaps another god in the (headless) pantheon?

One thing I've noted before in comment threads is that Fake Halea's major color is green. Which could be seen as a mixture of Philemon/Shoshana Yellow and Cheline Blue, but is notably not the color worn by Garth and the other Plume Church clergy. Moreover, the artifact Phae will hopefully soon be convinced to start looking for is purple, which is both a mix of Cheth Red and Cheline Blue and the RGB inverse of green. This is, after all, a comic that isn't at all shy about leaning heavily on color symbolism.

So extrapolating from that, I hypothesize that Fake Halea is opposed to reuniting Cheline and Cheth, and invested in keeping the theocracy going.

So my best guess is that whoever is in control of Halea is opposed to the reunion between Cheth and Cheline. Quite possibly another member of the (headless?) pantheon who set up the division between Cheth and Cheline for her own purposes. To what end? I can't even begin to guess.

Though I guess I should read today's page.  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version