Creative Corner > Events Board

YoinkTober 2022 - Tarotober

(1/28) > >>

wavewright62:
For those unfamiliar with the concept, this is our Forum's variant of the InkTober challenge, where you are challenged to produce a fanwork every day in October, generally following a series of prompts.  Classically, this is an art challenge, focused on expanding your technique, but we expand the brief to include our wordsmiths as well.  The daily work does not have to be large or elaborate, just an attempt to take a moment for development of that part of your brain.  The daily prompts leave you all heaps of interpretive latitude.

This year, the prompts are inspired by Tarot.  Whether or not you ascribe supernatural gifts of divination to the arrangement of images as they appear, contemplating these timeless images can often reveal an approach to a question that you had not considered.  And, unlike the playing cards that evolved from them, a reversed card is not interpreted in the same way as the upright card. 

Each day is assigned a card, with both upright (U) & reversed (R) meanings, mix and match or incorporate both?  Upright is not always positive, nor reversed negative. Meaning synopses are given from my favourite text*.  You are free to consult your own favourite interpretation, or let the image and its details guide you, as it was designed to do. 

1 - Death - (U) Change & Renewal / (R) Stagnation
Spoiler: death image • show
I notice how The Emperor is already trampled, and The Hierophant is begging. 
2 - 3 of Swords - (U) Emotional Intensity / (R) Emotional Tedium
Spoiler: 3 of swords image • show
Often interpreted as Romance, and you polycule shippers may go to town here?
3 - 9 of Cups - (U) Self-Satisfaction / (R) Self-Criticism
Spoiler: 9 of cups image • show
Often used as an indicator of wish fulfillment.  Reversed, the wishes and the boons all run out of the cups.
4 - 6 of Swords - (U) Retreat from Travail / (R) Endurance
Spoiler: 6 of swords image • show
An underappreciated card, retreat and rest - so, how was your pandemic?
5 - 2 of Pentacles - (U) Manipulation / (R) Sham Discovered
Spoiler: 2 of pentacles image • show
Flim-flam, juggling, the shell game.
6 - The High Priestess - (U) Hidden Knowledge / (R) Superficial Knowledge
Spoiler: high priestess image • show
Lilith knows, whether or not she'll tell you.  You might have to pick it out, like pomegranate arils.  Or I'm sure there's like a YouTube video or something, right?
7 - Knight of Pentacles - (U) Practicality / (R) Unearned Ease
Spoiler: knight of pentacles image • show
This person is focussed on work, money and business.  I'm told this person is also somewhat dull.
8 - 5 of Pentacles - (U) Poverty / (R) Alternatives
Spoiler: 5 of pentacles • show
9 - 6 of Cups - (U) Strength from the Past / (R) Refusal of Childhood
Spoiler: 6 of cups image • show
Flowers can grow from that dirt.
10 - 6 of Wands - (U) A Leader Arises / (R) Leaderlessness
Spoiler: 6 of wands • show
I assume the rider and horse are not about to get pummeled by sticks, anyway.  Maybe the one with the horse gets to rise above the others?
11 - The Chariot - (U) Imposition of Will / (R) Lack of Self-Discipline
Spoiler: the chariot image • show
You just know that a loss of concentration and those sphinxes will stampede and it will all turn to custard.  Maybe it will anyway.
12 - 3 of Pentacles - (U) Marketable Skills / (R) Skills Unmarketed
Spoiler: 3 of pentacles image • show
You, yes YOU, know something useful to someone else.  You might even be able to make money at it!
13 - 2 of Swords - (U) Lack of Perception / (R) Dawning Perception
Spoiler: 2 of swords image • show
Strong vibes of a willful refusal to see, and in reverse a cutting through the blindness.
14 - Ace of Wands - (U) Innovation / (R) Postponement
Spoiler: ace of wands image • show
You're so full of energy and innovation, you're growing new leaves out of a cut branch!  Or alternatively, maybe this would make a better walking stick for the time being.
15 - The Sun - (U) Rebirth / (R) Clinging
Spoiler: the sun image • show
Doo doo-doo, here comes the Sun!  All good things starting now, possibly even a baby.  This isn't even all that bad reversed.
16 - Strength - (U) Courage / (R) Lack of Conviction
Spoiler: strength image • show
Gentleness and a connection to all things natural are the strength here.
17 - 7 of Pentacles - (U) Anxiety About Produce / (R) Process-Mania
Spoiler: 7 of pentacles image • show
That money/skill is thisclosetobeing ready for harvest, and they have been working hard on getting this bounty. Or conversely, they've been obsessing over the whole process while losing sight of the point of the exercise.
18 - Page of Cups - (U) Discovery / (R) Puzzlement or Blockage
Spoiler: page of cups image • show
Talk to the fish. Fish heads are never seen drinking cappucino in Italian restaurants with Oriental women.
19 - The Star - (U) Healing / (R) Ill Health
Spoiler: the star image • show
Unification and healing.  That's the goal.
20 - 2 of Wands - (U) Intellectual Power / (R) Hostility to Knowledge
Spoiler: 2 of wands image • show
Far-sightedness and building of international communication (the internet?), in the reverse a strong vibe of Misinformation. Hoo boy, haven't we seen enough of that?
21 - 8 of Swords - (U) Imprisonment / (R) Reprieve
Spoiler: 8 of swords image • show
The way to free yourself, is all around you.
22 - 8 of Pentacles - (U) Apprenticeship / (R) Aimlessness
Spoiler: 8 of pentacles image • show
They have been applying themselves and working hard on getting this bounty. Or conversely, no they haven't.
23 - The Hermit - (U) Self-Search / (R) Dilettantism
Spoiler: the hermit image • show
Taking some time out to look within sounds good and worthy, but can become an echo chamber.  Kinda close to home for those of us in the SSSS fandom? Ouch. 
24 - Knight of Cups - (U) Search for Intuitive Knowledge / (R) Passivity
Spoiler: knight of cups image • show
Knights denote action toward acquisition and application of knowledge (or lack thereof), in this case the action toward gaining the intuition of the suit.
25 - Queen of Wands - (U) Energetic Mentor / (R) Misuse of Energy
Spoiler: queen of wands image • show
Powerful, well-spoken, grows things, and even has a cat.
26 - 4 of Wands - (U) Delight & Frivolity / (R) Overwork
Spoiler: 4 of wands image • show
Celebration in the town square, maybe?
27 - King of Swords - (U) Patriarchal Man / (R) Changing Man
Spoiler: king of swords image • show
Upholding all that is right and proper, that's him.  Turn him upside-down so that robe flops down, and he shows a different face.
28 - 8 of Cups - (U) Moving On / (R) Giving Up
Spoiler: 8 of cups image • show
I've drained all these.  I can either go find more, or sort of swill these around and see if I can get some residue on my finger.
29 - 3 of Cups - (U) Interdependence / (R) Rejection of the Group
Spoiler: 3 of cups image • show
Lala laaaa we're soooo much of one mind heeeeeere
30 - Page of Pentacles - (U) Increasing Powers / (R) Repressed Power
Spoiler: page of pentacles image • show
Hey, everybody, watch me levitate this! Cool, eh?  I've been practicing.
31 - 9 of Pentacles - (U) Solitary Creativity / (R) Sell-Out
Spoiler: 9 of pentacles image • show
Things are good, the work is good, the creative juices are flowing, you can enjoy the fruits of your labours. Nice.
As always, these can be applied to the Minnaverse characters (lots of good discussion on this topic in other parts of the Forum!), or elsewhere as you prefer. 

(thanks to Mirasol for tweaking my list idea and providing the push to finalise the list)
Spoiler: * • showMy favourite tarot guide is "A Feminist Tarot" by Sally Gearhart & Susan Rennie, revised 1981 edition, which draws its inspiration from the classic Rider tarot deck.  I like their old-school feminist approach, where the established order and its structures are a bad thing. 
Totally, totally, YMMV.

Jitter:
Great list! Thank you Wave, and Mirasol!

Should you include also ”rules” of what the YoinkTober is and how to participate?

wavewright62:
 O_O *ahem*

I will fix the main post....

dmeck7755:
This sounds like fun, but I was not part of the forum for prior submissions.  Are they posted in the channel or on Fanfics or Ao3?

Mirasol:
They were posted into the thread directly, usually, but of course that´s up to you. :)) If you do choose to post them directly I´d put them under a spoiler though if it´s a longer one, to make scrolling easier.

You can check how it was done the previous years if you want to (or maybe year? I think we opened it for written works only since last year.), here´s the link for last year´s event in any case, but the years before are also still on the board somewhere. :)

YoinkTober2021

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version