Creative Corner > Writing Board

"... And then the murders began."

(1/51) > >>

Yastreb:
I recently encountered a challenge in the comments section of a blog I frequently visit, in which the point was to find the opening sentence of a novel, any novel, and make it end with the words "And then the murders began."

Here are three I thought of...

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen... and then the murders began.

On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge... and then the murders began.
Crime and Punishment

There was a large audience assembled on the 14th of January, 1862, at the session of the Royal Geographical Society, No. 3 Waterloo Place, London... and then the murders began.
Five Weeks in a Balloon

Feel free to expand the collection, folks.

Jitter:
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit, and then the murders began.

RanVor:

--- Quote from: Yastreb on March 10, 2022, 06:13:59 AM ---On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge... and then the murders began.
Crime and Punishment

--- End quote ---
A fitting summary of the book, I'd say. ;)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty four days now without taking a fish, and then the murders began.
The Old Man and the Sea

Kiran:
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun. And then the murders began.
The Five People You Meet In Heaven

midwestmutt:
It was a dark and stormy night...and then the murders began.--Paul Clifford by Edward Bulwar-Lytton

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version