General > History and Mythology Board

Icelandic Magic

(1/1)

tehta:
I am currently working on an SSSS-universe ghost story set in Iceland and involving various magical shenanigans. This had led me to read the Galdrabók, and some other manuscripts I found a pdf for online, as well as assorted web pages about Icelandic ghosts.

A lot of what I have read seems rather fragmented and open to interpretation, which is both nice and freeing, and frustrating. (Because what if something more concrete exists somewhere?) Anyway, I might use this thread to ask people's opinions on interpretations I make that feel controversial. But for now I just wanted to post some fun facts about runes and spells.

Most of the staves I have seen are various types of spells of protection, but there is also a surprising number--at least seven, I think--of spells to uncover a thief. (Some work by showing you a vision, others are less clear.) I interpret this abundance of anti-thief spells as evidence of what Iceland was like at the time. (Sadly, there are no thief-alarm spells. Sadly, because I want one!) There are also spells against enemies, love-spells, etc. The basics. And then there are things like:

-- Spells to make people throw up all their food or fart violently as 'a joke'. The former is followed by the antidote; the latter is not.

-- "To staunch a nosebleed for someone, write these words on his forehead in his own nose blood: CONSUMMATUM EST." (I think I might use this one in my story, actually.)

-- "If you want to get a good and true friend: Have two silver rings made and leave them lying for nine nights in the nest of a water wagtail or a sparrow. Then take one ring and wear it and give the other one to your friend and say in jest to him that this is your ring of friendship and that you wish that it never part from him. Take care, however, that he does not find out about this procedure with the rings. One must work in a similar way to get the love of a good woman.” (I am just going to leave this one here with no comment.)

Róisín:
Have you read Egil’s Saga, and Egil’s views on magic that compels another’s affection? He was very scathing about the young fool who had made a kludge of putting a love-spell on a girl by the traditional method of carving suitable runes and concealing it in or under her pillow. It was so badly done that instead of making her fall in love with him it came near killing her. Fortunately Egil was able to fix that one!

On the other hand, some spells existed and exist to the present day, for the couple to work the magic together, usually involving both a sung or spoken spell and a pair of rings, carved amulets or suchlike, or a coin or medallion broken in half with each taking one part. You may have encountered the concept in very old traditional ballads. If you are curious about detail of spells of that type, I went into detail about it in an ongoing fanfic serial I have been writing since …….ummmmm…….. 2015. Right back at the beginning of the tale. The story is called ‘A Few of Mikkel’s Secrets’ and is on Archive of our Own, under my username of Tanist.

tehta:
I have read the saga, but it was a long time ago and I do not remember this bit. (Where magic is concerned, I remember him cursing people and handling a poisoned drink.) I will reread it. (But I don't think the 'friendship rings' spell I cited can be said to compel affection. It sounds like some degree of friendship and and affection must already be present.)

And I know who you are on AO3! You're the most tireless commenter, for which I am grateful, both personally and because I think it's very good for the fandom. I will find the story.

Róisín:
I hope you will enjoy it! I like to work our-world information into my stories, whether it be cookery, plantlore, bushcraft or magic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version