Worlds and Stories > Worlds & Stories Discussion Board

(Re)reading The Silmarillion

(1/25) > >>

Jitter:
Here’s the forum’s first Tolkien topic!

It was discovered in a discussion that at least a few of us have been contemplating rereading the Silmarillion but haven’t gotten around to it. In many things, the more the merrier, so why don’t we read together?

RanVor suggested we start in the beginning of September. In addition to that, how should we go? I’m thinking in a sort of book club fashion where we agree dates by which participants will read up till a certain point? I would suggest to not make the schedule too tight to allow busy people to participate. Any thoughts on this?

Also I’d like to hear your thoughts on the book in general - why do you want to read it? Why do you want to reread it? Did you like it the first time around? Etc.

I was very much into the Lord of the Rings as a kid and teenager, when I read it many times. The Silmarillion I read once, and found it terribly tedious.  I’ve been low key planning to take another go probably for 25 years or so, because I suspect I may have been too young and rash to appreciate it at the time. For about two years now it’s been on my reading list, I know many Tolkien fans like it best and I’m curious too see if I can find that magic too. So, making a reading pact will hopefully be what it takes to get started!

Updating reading schedule below on this same page

tehta:
I think this is partially my fault. I hope people aren't too bored.

What I found interesting about the Silmarillion is the parts that aren't there. The fan theories that would make the crazy world-building make sense, the stories glossed over, (most of) the personal detail. For me, it's a bit like reading historical sources and letting your imagination fly. Also I enjoy a good tragedy.

I would also agree that a leisurely schedule would be best. And yes, a book club thing, where on a certain date people are asked to post their reactions.

RanVor:
I think the first week of September is more than enough time to read Ainulindalë (the first part), as it isn't very long. In fact, each of the parts with the exception of Quenta Silmarillion should be easily doable in a week even for busy people, and as for the main part itself, well, we can decide how to divide it up when we get to it. Of course, we can adjust those periods as we get a better idea of everyone's reading speed. Keep in mind that as a fast reader, I may be a bit biased, so if you disagree with my assessment, don't hesitate to intervene.

The Silmarillion is a tough read for sure. In its nature, it's more a collection of fictional myths and legends than a cohesive narrative. The overabundance of difficult names and complicated relations to remember doesn't make it any easier. However, the way it expands the world of LotR, imbuing it with rich history and putting the stories of Bilbo and Frodo in a different, more mystical context makes it worth reading in my opinion.

I sound like I was trying to write some literary treatise here, and I have no idea why.

Jitter:
Ran, I like your analysis! I hope I’ll be able to appreciate that sort of thing better than when I was 15 :)

And I agree that one-week reading periods would be good. Fast readers can of course go faster, the schedule is just to facilitate discussion. On the other hand if the pause for reading is too long, probably the interested ones will just go on reading and the not-so-interested ones drop it again. I for one am looking for community support to manage this :)

So, discussion about the Ainulindalë starting Monday 6th of September? Everyone happy with that?

moredhel:
I would want to join a silmarillion rereading event. But I have no useful Idea how to organzie this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version