Author Topic: Fiction and Fan-fiction Writing Resource Center  (Read 5963 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Fiction and Fan-fiction Writing Resource Center
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
I figure, with the diverse types and sheer number of people on this forum, that we are collectively knowledgeable in just about everything. So, why not put it to good use?

This thread is intended to offer answers to questions about characters, physics, events, historical problems, math, etc., etc., that might come up as questions during your writing of a work of fiction. As Forumites, we can provide answers, especially in subjects where Google fails to deliver.

As this thread (hopefully) grows, I will modify this post with questions that have already been answered, spoilered by category.

Threads devoted to writing:
SSSS Scriptorium
A Redtail's Dream Scriptorium
Forum Scriptorium
Writer's Corner

If you have resources to contribute, please post stating them...

Spoiler: users and knowledgeable types • show
Spoiler: Ragnarok • show

I have moderate knowledge of medieval and Renaissance-era tactics, gunpowder weaponry, WWII-era history, as well as in-depth knowledge of Roman Republican and early-Imperial history. Plus basic understandings in genetics and biological sciences. For fanon and canon, I know quite a bit about the following franchises: One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, ASoIaF, the Walking Dead (comics only), SSSS fanon (mostly speculative surviving communities in the Alps and Russia), Worm, Mass Effect, Halo, and Fallout.

Spoiler: Lazy8 • show

The resources I have to contribute are expertise in physics in general and astrophysics in particular (Ph.D.), and martial arts (3rd degree black belt TKD, no weapons training though). Watching anime with me can be either hilarious or excruciating, depending on your disposition.

Spoiler: Roisin • show

I can probably help with questions about food and cooking, folklore, wilderness and wilderness craft, wild food and foraging, archery and sword work. And maybe a bit with poetry.

Spoiler: MR_PLINKETT • show

I'm the local survivalist and weapons expert. Need any questions about that kind of stuff and I'm your man.

Spoiler: Luth Nightbreeze • show

As far as fanfic resources go, I have a railway and road map of Denmark and a map of notable sights in Copenhagen from an old book if anybody needs them. (They're pretty high resolution, so you can zoom in on them if you need) Also, a possibly useful article on pagan Finnish mythology/religion.
Spoiler: Maps • show

Spoiler: Links to larger versions of the maps • show

We ask that you consult the already-answered questions beforehand.
Spoiler: answered questions • show
Spoiler: real life • show

Q: Chemical composition of stab-proof vest?
A: Provided by JoB

There is no such thing as a stab- or bullet-proof vest. The material of choice is still Kevlar, because of its main characteristic, "its high tensile strength-to-weight ratio", as Wikipedia puts it. The projectile starts to push the Kevlar into the soft target a.k.a. human body, the Kevlar fibers' tensile strength prevents them from ripping, so Kevlar outside the projectile's path is pulled to press into the target. Net result: The projectile's kinetic energy gets distributed over a much larger area of the body's surface, which (hopefully) prevents the whole mess from puncturing the body.

Q: Does advanced armor exist now (or of the 20 minutes into the future variety) that could stop swords and arrows while being lighter than plate armor?
The ways for a firearm, or, more precisely, its projectile, to overcome a Kevlar vest are a) smaller caliber / tip and/or higher kinetic energy, and b) - to an extent - coatings that facilitate the projectile's slipping through the mesh of Kevlar fibers. (Don't put too much money on the latter. Oh, and I guess c) explosive charges are officially a viable method, too.) At some point, deflecting such a "brute force" bullet will need so many layers of Kevlar as to make the "vest" fail as clothing, or it just fails to distribute the projectile's energy over enough of an area to make the impact sufficiently harmless.
Swords and arrows are much slower but weigh more than most bullets, so, for them, a Kevlar vest's failure mode is typically the equivalent of b), the projectile slipping through between the Kevlar fibers.
As you can see, in both cases, it's not the primary property of Kevlar, its tensile strength, coming to a limit, but some secondary property. Which makes it debatable whether it's the very material that's the cause of failure, or whether discovering some stuff with (say) 10% more tensile strength per volume/weight would promise to yield a 10% improvement of protection.

Spoiler: SSSS • show

Q: How much ammo did the crew pack?
Unknown. Their official equipment was already in crates etc. and most of those already loaded into the tank when we first saw it, and apart from the candle crate and the two crates delivered by Túnfiskurinn, we never saw them being opened. There were several large upright cylinders of Emil-glee, supposedly containing flamethrower fuel, but otherwise, no information beyond "well, it did fit into the tank".

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:21:39 PM by Ragnarok »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: Fiction and Fan-fiction Writing Resource Center
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
So, why not have links to the three Scriptoria, the Writer's Corner, and/or a few others in the first post?

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:01:48 PM »
So, why not have links to the three Scriptoria, the Writer's Corner, and/or a few others in the first post?

Three? I know of only two...hrrm.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »
Three? I know of only two...hrrm.
There's one on the aRTD Board.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 07:15:54 PM »
There's one on the aRTD Board.

*dope slaps self*

All linked now.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:16:22 PM »
Great idea!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »
Random list of questions and resource queries:

I need info on the following things:

Spoiler: long • show

Spoiler: real life research • show

-Differences in steel and iron forging techniques for different types, especially the materials required.
-Definite answers on the efficacy of plate armor (late or early medieval) versus flintlock arquebusiers.
-Difficulty of creating an arquebus using medieval-era tools (assuming you have a supply of gunpowder already.)
-Mongol Horde- general history and tactics.
-Chemical composition of stab-proof vest materials.
-Is there advanced armor now (or of the 20 minutes into the future variety) that could stop swords and arrows, while being lighter than plate?

Spoiler: SSSS questions • show

-How much ammo did the SSSS crew pack?

Spoiler: A Song of Ice and Fire questions • show

-Dothraki culture- how the hell does it work? Do they have forges or blacksmiths of any kind? Where do they get their stuff when they aren't raiding for it?
-Demographics information for the property of an average vassal knight. (Gregor Clegane's land if anyone has canon to back up stuff like that.)

Róisín

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 07:54:38 PM »
Most of that I can't help with, but I can suggest two useful resources.

There are some modern mediaevalist groups whose members have done a lot of research into the history of metalwork, forgecraft and armour. Some of it is quite basic, but a lot of it is serious research, and also provides links to original source material.

The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) has a website well worth exploring, and its members have researched all manner of arts, crafts, skills and history, including a lot about armour and metalwork. Lots of useful articles there.

The New Varangian Guard likewise, with a bit more emphasis on the Nordic and Byzantine aspects.

I can't do links, but both should be easy to find on the internet. We probably have members of both groups among the Minnions.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 08:15:11 PM »
Well, I can't answer any of the questions currently up, but the resources I have to contribute are expertise in physics in general and astrophysics in particular (Ph.D.) (I have a major thing for exoplanets so if you want to invent an exotic world for your scifi story I'm probably a good person to talk to), and martial arts (3rd degree black belt TKD, no weapons training though). Watching anime with me can be either hilarious or excruciating, depending on your disposition.

Man, I could've used a thread like this while I was working on Fortitude...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:44:41 AM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »
I should also have mentioned that I can probably help with questions about food and cooking, folklore, wilderness and wilderness craft, wild food and foraging, archery and sword work. And maybe a bit with poetry.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »
-Chemical composition of stab-proof vest materials.
-Is there advanced armor now (or of the 20 minutes into the future variety) that could stop swords and arrows, while being lighter than plate?
There is no such thing as a stab- or bullet-proof vest. The material of choice is still Kevlar, because of its main characteristic, "its high tensile strength-to-weight ratio", as Wikipedia puts it. The projectile starts to push the Kevlar into the soft target a.k.a. human body, the Kevlar fibers' tensile strength prevents them from ripping, so Kevlar outside the projectile's path is pulled to press into the target. Net result: The projectile's kinetic energy gets distributed over a much larger area of the body's surface, which (hopefully) prevents the whole mess from puncturing the body.

The ways for a firearm, or, more precisely, its projectile, to overcome a Kevlar vest are a) smaller caliber / tip and/or higher kinetic energy, and b) - to an extent - coatings that facilitate the projectile's slipping through the mesh of Kevlar fibers. (Don't put too much money on the latter. Oh, and I guess c) explosive charges are officially a viable method, too.) At some point, deflecting such a "brute force" bullet will need so many layers of Kevlar as to make the "vest" fail as clothing, or it just fails to distribute the projectile's energy over enough of an area to make the impact sufficiently harmless.

Swords and arrows are much slower but weigh more than most bullets, so, for them, a Kevlar vest's failure mode is typically the equivalent of b), the projectile slipping through between the Kevlar fibers.

As you can see, in both cases, it's not the primary property of Kevlar, its tensile strength, coming to a limit, but some secondary property. Which makes it debatable whether it's the very material that's the cause of failure, or whether discovering some stuff with (say) 10% more tensile strength per volume/weight would promise to yield a 10% improvement of protection.

-How much ammo did the SSSS crew pack?
Unknown. Their official equipment was already in crates etc. and most of those already loaded into the tank when we first saw it, and apart from the candle crate and the two crates delivered by Túnfiskurinn, we never saw them being opened. There were several large upright cylinders of Emil-glee, supposedly containing flamethrower fuel, but otherwise, no information beyond "well, it did fit into the tank".
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »
I'm the local survivalist and weapons expert. Need any questions about that kind of stuff and I'm you man.

Róisín

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 11:24:43 PM »
Another survivalist? Cool. I know more about blades, bows, snares and the like than I do about guns (though I can use them), so it's good to have someone to supply the gaps in my knowledge.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 11:44:03 PM »
As far as fanfic resources go, I have a railway and road map of Denmark and a map of notable sights in Copenhagen from an old book if anybody needs them. (They're pretty high resolution, so you can zoom in on them if you need) Also, a possibly useful article on pagan Finnish mythology/religion.

Spoiler: Maps • show

Spoiler: Links to larger versions of the maps • show
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:54:22 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:26:27 AM »
I'm happy to help with questions about the Finnish language.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15: