Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 145554 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:39 PM »
Alright.  Top Ten Time.  Lots of playstation on the list... more than I thought there'd be, at least.

10. -TLoZ: Twilight Princess.
9.   -Dishonored
8.   -Golden Sun  (Fantastic little rpg for the Gameboy Advance)
7.   -Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time  (One of the guns plays the 1812 Overture when fired.  It's beautiful.)
6.   -Infamous 2
5.   -The Last of Us  (Superb Multiplayer)
4.   -Portal
3.   -Shadow of the Colossus/Ico
2.   -Little Big Planet 2
1.   -Journey

Okay, so I feel like the top three deserve explanations. 
For number 1, I don't have too much to say.  It's not really a game, as much as an experience.  The art, the simplicity, the soundtrack...  When I finished my first playthrough I just felt lost and confused because I couldn't process all the emotions I was experiencing.

For 2...  This is part of why I decided to go into engineering.  I've studied for tests playing this game.  It is the game to end all games; the ultimate game: a game that can make games and lets you play other peoples' games.  People are just pumping out fantastic and creative levels that push the game's limitations.  Even the developers, Media Molecule, have come out and said that players were doing things with it that they didn't even know were possible.  There are a couple of projects to build entire, Final Fantasy style rpgs that I've seen.  One person even managed to build a 16-bit platformer.  It's incredible.

For 3, I unfortunately watched a playthrough of SoTC before playing it, and knew how to beat the game when I got it.  However, the game came with Ico on the same disc, which I had heard of, but never seen.  I played through SoTC, and loved it, of course, but then I played through Ico, and loved it too.  It takes me a long time to forget the details of a game.  I honestly think I'll never forget how to beat SoTC, because I played through it several times when I got it, but I only played Ico once...  I want to forget it, so it will feel new again, and so I haven't played it in nearly two years.  That was my goal so, if I feel like I've forgotten enough of it, I'll be replaying it this Christmas.  :)
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »
I accidentally read the list backwards and was desperately trying to figure out how Dishonored could ever inspire anyone to go into engineering, much less be a suitable game for studying to.

Journey is the game that makes me really want to get a playstation. Maybe one day.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »
I accidentally read the list backwards and was desperately trying to figure out how Dishonored could ever inspire anyone to go into engineering, much less be a suitable game for studying to.

Journey is the game that makes me really want to get a playstation. Maybe one day.
I actually read the list backwards as well, until I saw your post. :) I might invest in another console someday as well! If I get the opportunity.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »

Yeah, Dishonored's really more for fun than anything.  LBP, on the other hand... Well, I'm excited for 3 coming out soon.  I might not be on the forum for a few days after it releases.

Also, now that I have money again, I bought a 3ds! 
I also got a game I used to have way back in the day, the Megaman Collection.  One of my first games, but I could never beat any of the levels, except in Megaman 8.  I don't think I could even get past the first screen in Megaman 1, but I want to try them again and see if I can do any better now.

Edit:  Anybody got some 3ds suggestions?  I'm getting all the Pokémon stuff, for sure, and Sm4sh, but what else is worth getting?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:35:28 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 02:36:54 AM »
Yeah, Dishonored's really more for fun than anything.  LBP, on the other hand... Well, I'm excited for 3 coming out soon.  I might not be on the forum for a few days after it releases.

Also, now that I have money again, I bought a 3ds! 
I also got a game I used to have way back in the day, the Megaman Collection.  One of my first games, but I could never beat any of the levels, except in Megaman 8.  I don't think I could even get past the first screen in Megaman 1, but I want to try them again and see if I can do any better now.

Edit:  Anybody got some 3ds suggestions?  I'm getting all the Pokémon stuff, for sure, and Sm4sh, but what else is worth getting?

Well, I really like Fire Emblem Awakening. It's my first FE game so I don't know how well it stands amongst them, but still.
Animal Crossing New Leaf is also... surprisingly good, and funny. Link Between Worlds also, if you like Zelda games.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »

Well, I really like Fire Emblem Awakening. It's my first FE game so I don't know how well it stands amongst them, but still.
Animal Crossing New Leaf is also... surprisingly good, and funny. Link Between Worlds also, if you like Zelda games.
I often read that FE: A was one of the best FE games. And a Link Between Worlds is really great as well. :)
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 12:27:54 AM »

I often read that FE: A was one of the best FE games. And a Link Between Worlds is really great as well. :)
I've been wanting to try FE.  I'll check it out.
I'm well aware of the dangers of animal crossing.  I'm waiting for the next elder scrolls game to ruin my life, so that one will have to wait.
I was thinking of getting Ocarina of Time.  Is Link between worlds better, do you think?
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 04:38:54 AM »
I was thinking of getting Ocarina of Time.  Is Link between worlds better, do you think?

As a life-long fan of the series this is my assessment.

(But A Link Between Worlds is still lots of fun though).

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
I'm well aware of the dangers of animal crossing.  I'm waiting for the next elder scrolls game to ruin my life, so that one will have to wait.

I haven't played Ocarina of Time so I cannot answer that.

Fun fact! I cannot help but loathe the most popular games in a franchise - games like Final Fantasy 7 and Ocarina of Time. I don't want to play them.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »

If you like dungeon crawlers/JRPGs, Persona Q is supposed to be pretty good, especially if you've played the previous games.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
As a life-long fan of the series this is my assessment.

(But A Link Between Worlds is still lots of fun though).
I prefer a little more extremism in my video responses.

I haven't played Ocarina of Time so I cannot answer that.

Fun fact! I cannot help but loathe the most popular games in a franchise - games like Final Fantasy 7 and Ocarina of Time. I don't want to play them.
I don't really mind either way.  Kind of just depends on my mood, whether I'll like a game or not.

If you like dungeon crawlers/JRPGs, Persona Q is supposed to be pretty good, especially if you've played the previous games.
I've got friends who've tried getting me into persona, but I haven't had something to play them on for a while, except my ps3, which I didn't want to download any more stuff to.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »

Ugh, I'd sell an organ to get my hands on Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (well, okay, not really). Judging by the prices charged by the few collectors who still sell it that might be a cheap price too.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:14 AM »
Pokemon Y is still fun. Might try breeding up a team.
Can't connect a 3ds to my university's WiFi, though :(

My roommate is playing The Last of Us for the first time.  I think he's new to the stealth thing.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
Might try breeding up a team.

I'm sorry, I'm only familiar with pokemon yellow. When you say breeding ... What exactly is going on in pokemon games these days?

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »

I'm sorry, I'm only familiar with pokemon yellow. When you say breeding ... What exactly is going on in pokemon games these days?

Excatly what is sounds like. You take two different pokemon with different abilities, put them in a day care.... DINGDING, now there's an egg? wherever did that come from?
Egg hatches, you get baby pokemon with unique abilities if you do it right.