Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 143278 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 03:54:41 AM »
Recently, a bit of Tropico 5, Europa Universalis IV and Dragon Age: Origins. Also been doing some mapmaking on Warcraft III, although I rarely play the game much these days.

EU4 has such a gruesome learning curve! It's loads of fun though, although I think I have a habit of gaping over more than I can chew.

I've played Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and I loved both of those (especially Twilight Princess.  Soooo good), but I've never gotten the chance to play the others, or MGSs.  My first console was a PS2, so I missed out on all the Nintendo-y goodness of the N64 days.  It was always the thing that my friends had that I knew I'd never get, because my parents are stingy about games.

I can relate to that, stingy parents can mean loads of jealousy. Still I'm glad I got to have a couple of amazing games that define my childhood. Being enthusiastic about games as a grumpy old adolescent just isn't as easy :P

Usually strategy games. Railway Tycoon, Age of Mythology and XCOM: Enemy unknown. But lately I've gotten the hang of Skyrim, after some excellent advice from people on this forum. So right now it's mostly that.

Ah yes, XCOM. To me that's partly a rage game. So much fun though. I'm hoping Age of Mythology will get cheaper, I had loads of fun with it when it first came out like a decade ago.

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 04:35:08 AM »
Also, The Skyrim parodies and Skyrim Hoarders on youtube are hilarious.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »
Thought I'd weigh in on this - I mostly play Animal Crossing New Leaf, a couple puzzle games on my tablet, and am currently trying to finish some PS2 RPGs I've had forever. Favorite series include Persona, Pokemon, and The Sims.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
I actually haven't played a lot of games (sadly). Of the ones I have, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is probably my favorite. Don't Starve is also fun. Also, as a direct contrast to all the graphical goodness of the other two games, Angband. Specifically ToME 2.x.x. Yeah. I really like roguelikes.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 03:48:35 AM »
Most times its just Age of Empires II or I. My laptop doesn't support anything new. When works leaves time I try to get old games working with the help of Dos-Emulator. As I'm far away from blessed with programming skills this is kinda tough for me. When everything is set up, I will work on Maniac Mansion Part II and The Elder scrolls Arena ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
I mainly play RPGs, and as a result, I just play Pokemon, Professor Layton, Bravely Default, and A Link Between Worlds. I gave away a lot of my Nintendo DS games for in-store credit, so I forgot what I played besides Sims and animal games. XD
I only have my DS and 3DS, so I'm limited. xD But I'm looking forward to playing Persona.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:04 PM »
Nerd3 finally uploaded a video about a game he made. 
Interesting little breakdown of how he made it.  Expect unique things from him, if you're interested; he's quite smart and I think he'll be able to make some fun stuff as he learns some more about developing games.

Video.  Couldn't figure out how to have it without the playlist, so... whatever.

EDIT: Also, I found an interesting article about FF 15.  Apparently, magic is affected by weather, fighting without sleep is bad, and a whole bunch of other cool stuff got put in, in the last 8 years.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:58:24 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Mereven

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 01:21:52 AM »
Games... well, until I find a 'better' MMORPG, Rift is my life in the holidays :P

Assassin's creed games also have my attention when they are released to whenever I finish them maybe 50 hours later, and all the Elder scroll series... I don't want to know how many hours of my life has gone into them :D.

I also play Europa Universalis a lot; love going after all the steam achievements for that game.

Like these ones c:

http://tinypic.com/r/15i6wj6/8
http://tinypic.com/r/21jyy3p/8
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:27:04 AM by Mereven »

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 01:38:28 AM »
I mainly play RPGs, and as a result, I just play Pokemon, Professor Layton, Bravely Default, and A Link Between Worlds. I gave away a lot of my Nintendo DS games for in-store credit, so I forgot what I played besides Sims and animal games. XD
I only have my DS and 3DS, so I'm limited. xD But I'm looking forward to playing Persona.

I'm still stuck on Chapter... 4? I think? of Bravely Default. Do you want to exchange friend codes?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fenris

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 02:29:25 AM »
EU4 has such a gruesome learning curve! It's loads of fun though, although I think I have a habit of gaping over more than I can chew.
That's a pretty neat Germany, although seems like you expanded too fast. Who did you start out as? And yeah, the learning curve is a bit steep, but far less than any other Paradox game (especially Victoria, which is amazingly fun, but also amazingly hard just to not break the economy).

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
I'm still stuck on Chapter... 4? I think? of Bravely Default. Do you want to exchange friend codes?
I think I'm on Chapter 5. And why not?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:37:04 PM by Silenter »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
I think I'm on Chapter 5. And why not?

You might want to pm that and edit it out of your original post.  Otherwise you might end up getting dozens of friend requests from people you don't know.  Though I don't think any of the current users would do something like that, it's just a precaution.
Feel free to PM.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »

You might want to pm that and edit it out of your original post.  Otherwise you might end up getting dozens of friend requests from people you don't know.  Though I don't think any of the current users would do something like that, it's just a precaution.
Ack, completely forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me, Eich!

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
One more Pokémon player here, currently playing the after game stuff of White 2. I only own two other games, Pokémon White and Pokémon Y, since I didn't "find" Pokémon before I was an adult with a kid who loved the pocket monsters. Now we are fans together and my first game, Pokémon White, was a mother's day gift from my son and his father. Since then every time a new Pokémon game has been announced we've made a deal about which one of us will buy/ask for present which version. My husband has already reserved our Christmas presents: Pokémon Alpha Sapphire for me and Pokémon Omega Ruby for our son. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the game =)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 12:06:41 AM »
One more Pokémon player here, currently playing the after game stuff of White 2. I only own two other games, Pokémon White and Pokémon Y, since I didn't "find" Pokémon before I was an adult with a kid who loved the pocket monsters. Now we are fans together and my first game, Pokémon White, was a mother's day gift from my son and his father. Since then every time a new Pokémon game has been announced we've made a deal about which one of us will buy/ask for present which version. My husband has already reserved our Christmas presents: Pokémon Alpha Sapphire for me and Pokémon Omega Ruby for our son. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the game =)
You're in for a treat.  Sapphire was the first one I got and it's...  well, great. 
Get a Milotic; they are amazing.

I'm thinking of compiling a top ten list in here...
Feel free to PM.