General > Language Board

Invent your own idioms!

(1/12) > >>

ryagami:
As you might already know, many languages have many weird idioms and established phrases for all sorts of things (seems Englishmen felt that rain was as heavy as a moderately large mammal...).

Well, if you like them, why not make your own! So, how does the game work? One person gives some meaning to be conveyed through an idiom, and the next person thinks of an idiom they think could have the given meaning. Then that person gets to set a meaning that the third person's idiom has to fit, and so on...
EDIT: Also, it would be cool to explain how you came up with the idea and/or why you think it fits.

(Example:
1st person: "to be obnoxiously cheerful"
2nd person: "to be obnoxiously cheerful": "to choke with honey"
"to share feelings with somebody who doesn't appreciate it"
3rd person: "to share feelings with somebody who doesn't appreciate it": "to vomit water on somebody"
... and so on, you get the point)

Soo... I guess I'll start then?

"to have a wildly irregular and unhealthy sleep pattern" (I think I could find such an idiom to be of great use u_u)

Sunflower:

--- Quote from: ryagami on November 16, 2015, 04:52:58 PM ---As you might already know, many languages have many weird idioms and established phrases for all sorts of things (seems Englishmen felt that rain was as heavy as a moderately large mammal...).

Well, if you like them, why not make your own! So, how does the game work? One person gives some meaning to be conveyed through an idiom, and the next person thinks of an idiom they think could have the given meaning. Then that person gets to set a meaning that the third person's idiom has to fit, and so on...

(Example:
1st person: "to be obnoxiously cheerful"
2nd person: "to be obnoxiously cheerful": "to choke with honey"
"to share feelings with somebody who doesn't appreciate it"
3rd person: "to share feelings with somebody who doesn't appreciate it": "to vomit water on somebody"
... and so on, you get the point)

Soo... I guess I'll start then?

"to have a wildly irregular and unhealthy sleep pattern" (I think I could find such an idiom to be of great use u_u)

--- End quote ---

Ooh, I can *totally* use that idiom.
"Sleeping in the frying pan."

ryagami:

--- Quote from: Sunflower on November 16, 2015, 05:32:38 PM ---Ooh, I can *totally* use that idiom.

--- End quote ---

You should now give a phrase so that the next person can think up an idiom for it. :)

viola:

--- Quote from: Sunflower on November 16, 2015, 05:32:38 PM ---Ooh, I can *totally* use that idiom.

--- End quote ---
I can see it! That's perfect Sunny  :))

Hmmm... What abooouuuut....

to half pay attention to class but also be on a social media site at the same time

Ana Nymus:

--- Quote from: Feartheviolas on November 17, 2015, 10:00:06 PM ---to half pay attention to class but also be on a social media site at the same time

--- End quote ---

"To have an eye on two things"
And optional addition:
"And the mind on none"

My turn!
To forget why you've walked into a room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version