Author Topic: Disqus verify, lack thereof (SOLVED)  (Read 3351 times)

redstick

• Super-Newbie
Disqus verify, lack thereof (SOLVED)
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »
After several months of issuing valuable ex cathedra comments, I find that I am suddenly instructed by Disqus to verify my email. I have no objection to this, but the required link never shows up in my inbox. Ever. I have no idea why this happens -- the only change I can recall is a recent update of Firefox, and no such glitch is reported in their changelog. Several other sites use Disqus, and I have no problems. Just here.

This is my first time on the forum, so.....Hi! and help. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:47:04 PM by Feartheviolas »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Disqus verify, lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:17:48 AM »
After several months of issuing valuable ex cathedra comments, I find that I am suddenly instructed by Disqus to verify my email. I have no objection to this, but the required link never shows up in my inbox. Ever. I have no idea why this happens -- the only change I can recall is a recent update of Firefox, and no such glitch is reported in their changelog. Several other sites use Disqus, and I have no problems. Just here.

This is my first time on the forum, so.....Hi! and help. Thanks!

Hi, Redstick.  Welcome to the Forum! 

Speaking as one of the Forum admins, I'm sorry that we can't help with Disqus, but that's a totally separate system.  Minna herself is the admin of the Disqus comments on the SSSSComic site, so that's where you'd need to post your complaint.  Of course, if you've been deprived of access you can't do that, can you?   ::)

I"m happy to post your complaint on your behalf to Disqus, if you like.

Meanwhile, I hope you'll take a look around the Forum, maybe introduce yourself on the Introduction Thread.   We have threads for just about any aspect of the comic you can think of, and lots of other topics too!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 02:20:33 AM »
Just to add to that, the issue sounds like a glitch with Disqus itself, I may not even be something Minna can solve (in which case we certainly can't, as this is only a fan forum).
I recommend checking if it's being sent to the right email. If it is, ask Disqus staff for support.

redstick

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, and for the quick replies. A Google search has indicated that this is not a unique problem -- what is lacking is any sort of solution. There are several unpleasant options that I might have to pursue. I hate to add to Minna's problems, but if you could ask her to check, I would be really grateful.

Again, I appreciate the assistance!

Troposphère

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • because chaos.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
Can you try with another e-mail address? Maybe the server behind the one you are using is not configured properly and refuses some automatic e-mails (I use one like that… they say it's for spam reasons but it blocks non-spam. Also, this server automatically put some non-spam into the spam folder sometimes).
native: :france:
ok: :uk:
have learned for years but can just say hi: :germany:
just a few words: :sweden: :iceland:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, and for the quick replies. A Google search has indicated that this is not a unique problem -- what is lacking is any sort of solution. There are several unpleasant options that I might have to pursue. I hate to add to Minna's problems, but if you could ask her to check, I would be really grateful.

Again, I appreciate the assistance!
I hate to reiterate this (I really don't mean to be patronising here), but we are a fan-forum. While we are the only and therefore biggest (and best) forum for SSSS fans, we are not directly affiliated with Minna Sundberg. She's certainly aware of our existence, to the extent that the official comic page has a link here. However, we are no more directly connected to her than anyone else- to the best of my knowledge she doesn't even have an account here.
The best way to talk to her would be through her Twitter account or via Disqus.
However, I still think that your issue sounds like one the Disqus staff themselves are more able to handle- if the fault lies with Disqus, it's due to their system. Also try checking your email's spam folder, and make sure you entered the email address correctly.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:57:40 PM by Para »

redstick

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 06:51:38 PM »
My apologies; I certainly do not expect Minna to pull my chestnuts out of the fire. Being a noob, I am still learning the limits of the various parts of the SSSS world. Again, thanks for the assistance!

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
My apologies; I certainly do not expect Minna to pull my chestnuts out of the fire. Being a noob, I am still learning the limits of the various parts of the SSSS world. Again, thanks for the assistance!
Not a problem at all!
I hope your issue gets fixed, but in the meantime I'll take the opportunity to welcome you to the forum and tell you that we have an affiliated IRC channel through Quakenet at #ssss.
See you around!

redstick

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »
Well, I'm back in action. My email verification zipped through slicker than a greased owl, so I can now annoy folks without let or hindrance. Maybe Disqus figured out who they were fooling around with, and hit the "put it through" button in a panic. Makes sense. But, anyway, I'm good to go. Thanks to all for the welcome and the patience! I will see you later!