Author Topic: Personal Luonto  (Read 40885 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Personal Luonto
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2019, 05:39:29 AM »
I sincerely mean absolutely no offence to anyone from an Aboriginal background.
That said, if I had to choose a totem animal, I’d like it to be the loon.
An interesting and overlooked choice! Is it their sound that draws you?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2019, 07:06:46 AM »
An interesting and overlooked choice! Is it their sound that draws you?

Sound is one thing. The loon also has special associations for Aboriginals in Canada, among them the position of divine messenger. The loon also has some associations with people who are friendly enough, but also a little strange and a little isolated from their home communities. It’s quite a powerful symbol to have, which is why I had the bit about not wanting to offend any Aboriginals who might be on-site (as I am about as Aboriginal as a lemon).
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

refract3d

« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2019, 09:54:12 PM »
Loons are lovely creatures :) I love listening to their calls echoing over the water late at night.

Basic, but I'd probably be a cat. Partly because I was somewhat obsessed with cats as a young child and convinced I was somehow part cat in soul or body ("I've never met my grandfathers, one of them could totally have been a cat" (I was a strange child)) and though I grew out of that still have a lot of cat-like traits - I like head skritches and high places and naps in the sun ;D
What kind of cat? I don't know! I'm torn between an Abyssinian and something floofy like a Maine Coon. Floofy cats are majestic. Mine would try but be the kind of cat who bonks into doors and gets up like "I'm fine!"
Native language: :usa:
A little :vaticancity: :japan: Korean
Learning :norway: :spain:

Ask me about cuttlefish!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »
Ah, the kind of cat one imagines saying:”Really, I meant to do that!”.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

refract3d

« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
Róisín - yes, exactly! You saw nothing, human!
Native language: :usa:
A little :vaticancity: :japan: Korean
Learning :norway: :spain:

Ask me about cuttlefish!

Róisín

« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
I saw nothing! I value my ankles!

Vis Tecum Esto

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: Eng: She/They Swe: hon/hen
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2019, 03:56:56 AM »
Old thread but...

Also think a test would be helpful for me, because I never understood how people figure these things out. I'd love for my luonto to be a predatory bird, like a hawk or an eagle. Especially the Haliaeetus albicilla or the Buteo buteo, because I often saw them around my childhood home. I've always admired them for their cool, good sight and the speed and ease with which they move, and often imagined I would take on those traits... but I'm really not like that though. While I am quite introverted, I am more of a playful and loud pixie than a handsome eagle. I therefore think my luonto would be a fox (perhaps an arctic fox then, since it also lives a quite solitary life). During my childhood, fox cubs would often come and play on the porch, and I can sympathize with animals who want to do more with their lives than just eat and sleep and survive.
Yes: :sweden: :uk:
Myeah, but grammar's terrible: :germany: :norway:

:chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2019, 04:13:45 AM »
Most young animals will play if they feel safe enough to do so. It’s an important method for them to learn, and to gain good control of their bodies. When in Europe I used to love watching the brawling-and-stalking games that young badgers play, and the chasing and water-wrestling of otter kits. And as for lambs and goat kids, their play would make even the grumpiest human smile. Kittens are also fun.

Vis Tecum Esto

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: Eng: She/They Swe: hon/hen
« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2019, 04:39:07 AM »
Most young animals will play if they feel safe enough to do so. It’s an important method for them to learn, and to gain good control of their bodies. When in Europe I used to love watching the brawling-and-stalking games that young badgers play, and the chasing and water-wrestling of otter kits. And as for lambs and goat kids, their play would make even the grumpiest human smile. Kittens are also fun.

Oh, I am so envious! We had badgers at home, but I've never managed to see them, only the tracks in the snow. :( As for other animals, I guess they never felt safe enough to play when I was around? Like, we've had moose and deer calves come visit, but they were always completely preoccupied with following the mother and not tripping over themselves. The foxes are completely fearless in comparison.
Yes: :sweden: :uk:
Myeah, but grammar's terrible: :germany: :norway:

:chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2019, 07:22:59 AM »
Yeah, I think it depends on how used they are to humans, or how much reason they have to fear them. I’ve visited or lived in quite a lot of countries, and usually the best places to watch animals are either the ones where humans are around all the time and the animals don’t find them unusual, or where they have rarely if ever seen a human, and know of no reason to fear them.

Kestrel

• Meow Meow Meow
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
While I would want something like a coyote or a cat, as I love them and they have played important parts in my life, I think mine would actually be a goat.  Not that I don't love goats, but coyotes are so much cooler.

Goats are ridiculous; chewing and jumping on everything, playing with physics.  They are stubborn and are always yelling about something or maybe nothing at all.  That's me (unfortunately).

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2019, 03:02:20 PM »
 ;D I think I may have seen too many videos of kids dressed in pyjamas scampering about.  But adult goats, definitely chaotic evil.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Kestrel

• Meow Meow Meow
« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
;D I think I may have seen too many videos of kids dressed in pyjamas scampering about.  But adult goats, definitely chaotic evil.

No! not chaotic evil!! Chaotic good and misunderstood! ;P

I love those videos.

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2022, 08:27:23 AM »
I'd absolutely love having something like a raven or large bird of prey, and I think one would fit. Specifically an Eagle.

Mostly because Eagle's are shockingly lazy when it comes to hunting and mostly just look cool. So having a big fancy bird that can't actually do all that much probably pans out pretty well in terms of how I'd function as a Mage.

That or some sort of animal with a terrible memory!
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2022, 11:00:33 AM »
Wow, cool thread!

I have always believed I would be a migratory seabird. Like an albatross. Since I am migratory, clumsy, and generally solitary.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others