Author Topic: Forum Crafting and Applied Arts Museum  (Read 1095 times)

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Forum Crafting and Applied Arts Museum
« on: September 16, 2021, 06:59:59 AM »
A while ago I said I might post some pics of glass 'art' (I love working with glass, and do glassblowing when I can, and flameworking, and stained glass -- both leaded and Tiffany-style).

I don't have a lot of items here with me but here is a small poorly-photographed sample.

A stained glass window. Stained glass is beautiful but not as exciting to work with as blown glass, as there are far fewer opportunities for everything to go horribly wrong.

A couple of 'vases' (the right one is what I keep kitchen spatulas in) where I was experimenting with colour techniques. Note that the shapes are decent vase shapes. This is because vases are easy (and colour is forgiving).

Clear glass is less forgiving. Here is a salad dressing container that is meant to look a bit like a garlic bulb (very fun to blow: you set up a bubble and then you have 30s to get it right or wrong) and my BANE, a goblet with a blown foot. I keep trying to make those better, but keeping them thin enough to drink from means you are working with three pieces of floppy glass at the same time and they always go a bit wonky for me. They do hold wine, though, and after some drinks people can't tell if it's the glass or their own vision that is off.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
Re: Forum Crafting and Applied Arts Museum
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »
Hello,

Opened a new thread for crafts etc nit related to SSSS! @Annuil maybe you would like to post some pictures of your dolls? They are great but I can’t remember where they are.

Tehta, great work! I especially like the orange vase and the ”garlic bulb” (which is fine)!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 04:50:59 PM »
Beautiful works. My paintery mind tries hard to imagine how great it will look when light falls through the glass.

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 02:33:09 PM »
Oh hey, that’s a fun thread! And, Jitter, thanks, I’ll definitely share those!
But first, tehta, that is some beautiful glass! I love glass, and yours is amazing!  XoX

About my dolls. They are jointed dolls. The first one I made in August of last year (2020), for my sister’s birthday. They are dolls of my characters, and since my sister loves my stories (she is one of my biggest fans haha) I decided I should make something of that sort for her. The second one I made for Christmas of the same year and that one was twice as challenging as the first one, since it was twice as small. Here are pictures of both of them, since I couldn’t find a lot of individual photos, I included them in one folder:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsSnHPIBASO_wDeEW8Yba8q0oRwd
The taller one’s name is Arol’n (soft l) and the smaller one’s, his son’s is Aronath.
Arol’n’s story is rather sad, as he lost his wife, after she gave birth to Aronath, and also, since his father did not approve their marriage, lost his title of an elvish lord and his legacy. However, he managed to get over it all and actually even get married for the second time. That is why I have another doll of my character, Filnara, Arol’n’s second wife, to go along with the set:
 https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsSnHPIBASO_-gZTEbnFdVT2vrEZ
I made her this August. And here are photos of the whole family (even though Arol’n actually married her only when Aronath was 13, they were friends long time before that and Filnara could have helped him with the child):
 https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsSnHPIBASO_-gkcf5JtvbAG_zB8
All together Arol’n and Filnara had 11 children (including Aronath), but thankfully my sister is not a fan of every single one of them  :'D
So, these are my dolls! If you’re interested in reading my stories, here is a link to my website!

http://annuil.art/home-2/

I have started translating everything into English, but the website still doesn’t function fully yet (for some reason the menu does not get translated, I’ll try to fix that, everything else should be working fine) the story to start with is called “The Red-haired Friend”.

Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 03:26:35 PM »
Thank you Annuil, the dolls are amazing! You are multitalented!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 04:59:32 PM »
OMG those dolls are SERIOUSLY AMAZING. Well done!
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 01:11:06 AM »
Tehta, your glasswork is super neat! I've watched glassblowers at work a few times (had a glassblowing place in my old town) and it's always fascinated me - it sounds like a real art form, being able to manipulate the hot molten glass like that.

Annuil, those dolls are amazing - really intricate and detailed, and I feel like they each also have a sense of personality about them.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 10:42:40 AM »
More talent on display! I think I oohed and aahed over your dolls before, Annuil, but I'll do it again here - OOOH, AAAH! My mother made dolls, but using pre-made heads, arms, and legs. Your sculpting is wonderful. My mother's thing really was the clothing. One day a fox killed a pheasant in the yard, so she collected some of the prettiest feathers to use on hats. She never told the recipients of those dolls where the feathers came from!  :))

tehta, the glass is all gorgeous. I have never got my head around how glass blowing works, it's sorcery as far as I can tell. The goblet looks great to me, who cares if it's imperfect as long as it holds liquid? "...after some drinks people can't tell if it's the glass or their own vision that is off." <- This is hilarious!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: