Poll

Would you be Interested in a creative Writing group or Critique Circle?

Yes! I would love both of them!
27 (67.5%)
Yes! I want readers but I don't care for critique.
1 (2.5%)
Yes! Good Critique, sounds great.
3 (7.5%)
Hmm, I'm not sure I would have the time.
7 (17.5%)
Hmm, I think I could commit to this.
2 (5%)
No...(Please say why.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Creative Writing Group?  (Read 14790 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Creative Writing Group?
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
I'm actually all for Google Drive. It's very easy to share things, but even besides that, for documents it has a nifty Suggestions feature which makes editing other peoples work really really easy, because they can clearly see your edits and can decide to commit them or not. Also, comments! Comments are amazing.

I don't mind dropbox, but Google Drive... I don't know, I just don't feel comfy with it. I think I'm one of those people who're afraid of Google espionage or something  ::)

I don't really know what to tell you, other than the fact that I trust Google before I trust OneDrive or whatever Microsoft's cloud thingy is called.

:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »
I lean away from google and other cloud services for reasons of privacy and practicality.
If Syncthing genuinely isn't working then we do need to work something out.
Could I maybe skype with people who are having trouble and try and get idea what problem people are facing.
(I hate to sound repetitious but aside form some slow syncs I have had nary a problem with ST.)
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
Okay, I think I've got Scynthing set up and I think I have Unwary's device connected to mine. 

I've uploaded my half finished novel fantasy type story in full (100 pages).  I thought that if anyone was interested, they could read what I have so far.  My main question at this point is whether or not it is interesting enough to continue.  I wonder because it's a little cliche in places, but I feel like my ending would be worth it... we'll see.  So, if you read it and like it and want to provide more in depth critique, then I will upload smaller chapter chunks that we could work on. 

Blurb: A man dies in a car wreck and a woman gets shot in broad daylight.  Next thing they know, they wake up on a pristine beach, discover a hoard of magical swords, and find a group of people (both from their world and native to this new world) who want to whisk them away to their 'Master Rycus.'  What happens next?  DUNDUNDUN /lameblurb  I want to say that I am trying to make this more about the people than the magical sword factor thing. 

I'd also like to mention that this started out as a game I was playing with a friend of mine (she wrote the first half of Kerison's parts).  I'd write a chapter then she would write one and so on and so forth.  She got busy but I was still enthused with the story so I started writing Kerison's parts as well.  At fist we didn't have a story arc and flew by the seat of our pants (bad bad I know, we were just having fun).  But after she left I developed a loose story arc and an ideal ending, so it has a little more structure now.

Unwary:  Please let me know if I did the connection thing right.  Also, you'll recognize Conner's character in Ranger a bit, it's a type of person that I enjoy writing as.  Just, Ranger is not as big of a jerk as Conner is lol

Do I need to keep the Syncthing program active so that people can log on and access my folder?

And last, here's my ID #:

VJDH3ZV-B46GXZ4-73AMMTE-J7CGS3A-FNX4Y5X-CS22MP3-LAKWFHS-IS3GAQK

Will it let me know when other people access my folder? 

Please let me know if I missed anything!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:26:21 PM by meshebe »
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01:

Avatar made by the most awesome Tap.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
(snip)

Do I need to keep the Syncthing program active so that people can log on and access my folder?

And last, here's my ID #:

VJDH3ZV-B46GXZ4-73AMMTE-J7CGS3A-FNX4Y5X-CS22MP3-LAKWFHS-IS3GAQK

Will it let me know when other people access my folder? 

Please let me know if I missed anything!

The premise certainly sounds interesting, I'll read it. And yeah, I'm afraid we can only sync when you've got Syncthing on. It's pretty non-problematic to run in the background, though.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2015, 05:12:05 PM »
Meshebe, I have sent you an invitation. share the same folder you did for the invitation you sent me.
(I would have accepted it, but I am serving as a hub and I want to keep everyone on one share.)
There is also no log on, when we are running syncthing our computers ping each and see what is new and who needs updating.
If we send share requests to others(Interlinking say Solovei and yourself, and Solovei links with Aeirdrome we sync faster, and sync even when my mainframe is down.
Aierdrome, thanks for the feedback. I can see it and you had some good points.
(I need to get better at editing.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:21:13 PM by Unwary »

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2015, 06:36:57 PM »
Meshebe, I have sent you an invitation. share the same folder you did for the invitation you sent me.
(I would have accepted it, but I am serving as a hub and I want to keep everyone on one share.)
There is also no log on, when we are running syncthing our computers ping each and see what is new and who needs updating.
If we send share requests to others(Interlinking say Solovei and yourself, and Solovei links with Aeirdrome we sync faster, and sync even when my mainframe is down.
Aierdrome, thanks for the feedback. I can see it and you had some good points.
(I need to get better at editing.)

Can you send the invite again?  I messed it up and it disappeared.  For the folder you are inviting me to I need to put the folder path to the same folder that I already have up, correct?  (that was an awful sentence, I hope it makes sense.)

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
I would direct it to an empty folder in a reasonable place, so you can get the directories and put your stuff in the right place.
Make sense?
I have removed and re-added you to the share. Try restarting syncthing from the upper right menu if it doesn't show up after a while.
Meshebe, I have your story and will start critiquing it when I have time. I would say lop off a ten page segment or so, and place that in the to be read folder so that people can see that you story is there and should go find the rest of it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:06:47 PM by Unwary »

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2015, 10:06:43 PM »
Meshebe I have started you story, and will poke further in spare moments.
Interesting beginning.

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »
Interesting beginning.

Thanks Unwary! :)

When/if you want to critique in more detail, I will chop it up into smaller segments so it is easier to deal with.  Like I said earlier, my main concern is whether or not other people find it as interesting as I do, ha ha.

I will also add a segment of my story to the "to be read" folder when I have a chance, like you suggested.  ;)

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
Interesting beginning.

Ditto for me, Meshebe. You certainly have me curious as to what's going to happen next.

A question, though - would you be fine if I checked/marked things like missing words, reduntant words, bad grammar and stuff? There's not much of it, but still.

Edit: Alright, got as far as page 59. A fascinating story, and I'm even more curious as to where it's going than I was when I've written the above. Left some comments, in blue.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:03:18 PM by Aierdome »
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »
Ditto for me, Meshebe. You certainly have me curious as to what's going to happen next.

A question, though - would you be fine if I checked/marked things like missing words, reduntant words, bad grammar and stuff? There's not much of it, but still.

Edit: Alright, got as far as page 59. A fascinating story, and I'm even more curious as to where it's going than I was when I've written the above. Left some comments, in blue.

By all means, leave comments/edits when you want to!  I am glad you are enjoying it so far, and that you find it interesting!  :)

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
Aierdome, I love you comments---Thank you!!!  Just wait for a few more 'chapters' later....I like that part the best so far....

And seriously, thank you for reading and commenting.  I'm feeling a little more like writing again.  :)

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
Aierdome, I love you comments---Thank you!!!  Just wait for a few more 'chapters' later....I like that part the best so far....

And seriously, thank you for reading and commenting.  I'm feeling a little more like writing again.  :)

Yes, please, write again, I've just finished and I have to know what's going to happen next. To abridge the lengthy comment I left at the end (and rest assured, it is long):
- I like the characters;
- I love the story;
- the world could use a bit more fleshing out;
- I'm looking forward to see what comes next (you just had to cut right before the Power Trio makes its escape, didn't you?:P).
-----

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
Yes, please, write again, I've just finished and I have to know what's going to happen next. To abridge the lengthy comment I left at the end (and rest assured, it is long):
- I like the characters;
- I love the story;
- the world could use a bit more fleshing out;
- I'm looking forward to see what comes next (you just had to cut right before the Power Trio makes its escape, didn't you?:P).

Hey, I actually have that 'chapter thing' already written, I thought it was already in the master file.  Guess not!  I will update that later tonight so you can see what they're up to.  On the note of chapters, I really don't know how to divide this story up so I'm more or less ignoring making full fledged chapters right now.  I'll cross that bridge when I have a complete story. 

Critique question: At the end of that passage I make a joke about game of thrones but I actually don't know anything about the show so please tell me if it isn't funny or doesn't make sense.  It's kind of just there as a place holder right now but if it works that would be cool.  HAH XD

And I quickly read through your comments and I love them.  You point out some places where I know the writing is shaky -- I'll have to go back and smooth it out a bit -- and you point out some things that I did not think of but are very great points.  I'm glad to hear you want more world building; I've held back at places because I didn't want to bore people.  I also liked to hear your 'reader's thoughts' on suspicions and theories.  It's fun to see what people think while they're reading!

Do you have a story that you're working on?  Is it in the shared folder?

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
And I quickly read through your comments and I love them.  You point out some places where I know the writing is shaky -- I'll have to go back and smooth it out a bit -- and you point out some things that I did not think of but are very great points.  I'm glad to hear you want more world building; I've held back at places because I didn't want to bore people.  I also liked to hear your 'reader's thoughts' on suspicions and theories.  It's fun to see what people think while they're reading!

Do you have a story that you're working on?  Is it in the shared folder?

You're welcome, and I'll sure read the next part when I have time! As to me, I've got a small WIP, although I was considering posting it only when it's finished (it's a short story, I expect it to clock at about 30 pages). I guess I'll put it in my folder now, and move it to "To Read" once it's finished. Feel free to take a look, though, if you want to! Working name's Ironwilled, and the story boils down to this: a giant train is running through post-apo wasteland and it's a bumpy ride.
-----