Poll

Would you be Interested in a creative Writing group or Critique Circle?

Yes! I would love both of them!
27 (67.5%)
Yes! I want readers but I don't care for critique.
1 (2.5%)
Yes! Good Critique, sounds great.
3 (7.5%)
Hmm, I'm not sure I would have the time.
7 (17.5%)
Hmm, I think I could commit to this.
2 (5%)
No...(Please say why.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Creative Writing Group?  (Read 14652 times)

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
Re: Creative Writing Group?
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
"The late novelist E. L. Doctorow once described his writing process this way: "It's like driving a car at night--you never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." "

This. This is my entire writing in a nutshell.

And yay, new chapter of your thing! I still have to update Syncthing (memory of a goldfish, that's me), but I'll sure read it the moment it's done.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »
This. This is my entire writing in a nutshell.

And yay, new chapter of your thing! I still have to update Syncthing (memory of a goldfish, that's me), but I'll sure read it the moment it's done.

I know!!!  I thought I was being a bad writer not having every detail planned out.  It's reassuring to know there's other published writers who write the same way :)  And don't get too excited, it's just Kerrison's grand escape...though it did end up being a whopping ten pages long.  Not sure how that happened.  You wanted more details though!!!!  ;) ;)
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01:

Avatar made by the most awesome Tap.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
Well, I sure did. However...

*A wild Problem appears!*

For some reason, Syncthing refuses to update. It tells me that access to its program files is denied. Any idea how to un-deny it?
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »
Well, I sure did. However...

*A wild Problem appears!*

For some reason, Syncthing refuses to update. It tells me that access to its program files is denied. Any idea how to un-deny it?

I don't have much experience with Syncthing, but I would suggest uninstalling it from your computer and downloading the new version afterwards.  It also kind of sounds like you've put the Syncthing files in a locked location/folder/device.  Maybe try moving them to a more general location (like your desktop?) while trying to update?  Unwary could probably provide better advice....?  My attempt at IT help?   ;)

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2015, 03:12:12 PM »
I don't have much experience with Syncthing, but I would suggest uninstalling it from your computer and downloading the new version afterwards.  It also kind of sounds like you've put the Syncthing files in a locked location/folder/device.  Maybe try moving them to a more general location (like your desktop?) while trying to update?  Unwary could probably provide better advice....?  My attempt at IT help?   ;)

Thanks. That's probably what I'll end up doing. It will have to wait until tomorrow, though, I don't really have time for this today. Ah, well. Happens.

EDIT: Having downloaded the newest version (which somehow preserved all previous setting, which is nice), I've just read the newest part of your story and it's as good as the rest. You sometimes jump back into present tense, but that's pretty much the only problem. I'm afraid today I don't have time to read the previous text and changes you've made to it, but I'll sure look through them tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:32:14 AM by Aierdome »
-----

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »
Whoops, sorry I missed all the tech support stuff. Glad everyone's up and running. I will try and write some more know I just have college to deal with.
Also, that is a good quote Meshebe. I confess, it's the way I tend to write stories as well.
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2015, 05:40:47 PM »
Oh, Aierdome, I haven't edited the previous text yet!  I haven't had time...I'm hoping to do a major edit next month when I have a little more time.  :P  I may be able to make a few new "chapters" before then, but don't expect much from me before late next month!

Thank you and I'm glad you enjoy it so far! :)

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »
I need to sit down and finish your story, if just reading it and not offering advice.
Anyone read Harvestman?
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
So, because I'm an idiot, I have never managed to get Syncthing to work; as I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future, I'd like to ask: would anyone like to start a PM Critique Circle, or something similar?

faea

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
I know I'm late to the party.  Fashionably late?  I just published my first novel, and i'm trying to finish off book two now. 

I'm not the greatest on technical editing, but i'm told I'm a decent content reader.  :) 

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »
I know I'm late to the party.  Fashionably late?  I just published my first novel, and i'm trying to finish off book two now. 

I'm not the greatest on technical editing, but i'm told I'm a decent content reader.  :)
Sooooo...

Is that a yes?

faea

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
a total yes

pillowcat

i invented a co-operative game to get myself and amity writing
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2018, 11:22:12 PM »
Hi all! Long time no post eh.

Basically, I invented a game with the help of the lovely amity last week. We live together, for those who don't know. ^_^ We used it to help us motivate, both to write, and to do the housework!

I wanted to share the instructions for it with you all, because we have a lot of writers here and we have a great community. Is there someone you'd love to write with, but haven't found a way to ask them? Maybe you and a friend want to make a story but need some ideas?

I would really like your feedback on if it works for you. The rules are really more guidelines. Amity and I had a blast with it, and I hope others will too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G8-gZhE-jSQJ3mh30uesDkW4fIoe6pr-oLbccmawmZU/edit?usp=sharing

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
Re: i invented a co-operative game to get myself and amity writing
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »
It looks interesting at first glance; I'll look deeper later.

P__

Re: i invented a co-operative game to get myself and amity writing
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2018, 03:35:18 AM »
sounds interesting :)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: