Poll

Would you be Interested in a creative Writing group or Critique Circle?

Yes! I would love both of them!
27 (67.5%)
Yes! I want readers but I don't care for critique.
1 (2.5%)
Yes! Good Critique, sounds great.
3 (7.5%)
Hmm, I'm not sure I would have the time.
7 (17.5%)
Hmm, I think I could commit to this.
2 (5%)
No...(Please say why.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Creative Writing Group?  (Read 14551 times)

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
Creative Writing Group?
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:11:34 PM »
Hello all.
It's me, Unwary with another of my random schemes. I was wondering, with all the stuff posted here, if we wanted to do a Creative Writing Group?
I have a few ideas for how it could be laid out, and the community is as participatory as usual, then it could really take off.
Who all would be interested in a creative writing group, or a critique circle?
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Creative Writing Group?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
Hello all.
It's me, Unwary with another of my random schemes. I was wondering, with all the stuff posted here, if we wanted to do a Creative Writing Group?
I have a few ideas for how it could be laid out, and the community is as participatory as usual, then it could really take off.
I may be on board if I knew more about it... would it be limited to original works only, or fanfic as well?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
Hello all.
It's a very good idea, but which will imply writing as a fluent person in english, so I fear I won't be able to help... Too bad, I love to do that kind of things. Have fun :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
I was leaning toward original works, as fanfiction has the Scriptorium. However, I wouldn't say no to fanfics.
(I confess I don't write them myself, so I hadn't considered that.)

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »
I was leaning toward original works, as fanfiction has the Scriptorium. However, I wouldn't say no to fanfics.
Not necessarily. if we get enough people then I could see sub groups based on languages. We have a broad enough community.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
Well YES, it does but there's not a lot of discussion going on there, people mostly post their stuff and that's it. Besides, fanfic or not, all stories can be critiqued in terms of pacing, word choice, etc

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »
Well YES, it does but there's not a lot of discussion going on there, people mostly post their stuff and that's it. Besides, fanfic or not, all stories can be critiqued in terms of pacing, word choice, etc
I confess, I don't know much about the Scriptorium, and so I didn't know how crowded it got. Like I said, I would be open to having Fanfics, and I sincerely hope I didn’t cause offence.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
I agree with Solovei on this point :) It's been a while I hadn't work on a beta-reading, it's always interesting but  can be terrifying when you're the beta-readed ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
I must admit my understanding as to what you do in creative writing/critique group is somewhat blurred. It's about people posting their works and others generally looking at them, pointing out what's okay/what's wrong? If so, I'm certainly interested.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »
I think this is a great idea -- and in fact, Shared Story is giving me a reason for more sustained fiction-writing practice than I've done for 20-odd years.   :)

I just don't have time to add anything else to the schedule right now, unfortunately.  I hope that'll change in the future.  Meanwhile, I wish the rest of you all the best.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »
I must admit my understanding as to what you do in creative writing/critique group is somewhat blurred. It's about people posting their works and others generally looking at them, pointing out what's okay/what's wrong? If so, I'm certainly interested.
That sounds about right. I am thinking of keeping a to be read list so that people have a better guarantee of getting feedback.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
That sounds about right. I am thinking of keeping a to be read list so that people have a better guarantee of getting feedback.

I'm certainly for, then.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »
Okay, so I have loose idea about how this is to be organized. The forum would be rather hard to work with, and also is in the public eye.
(I don't necessarily want to post my stuff before it's ready.)
So in regards to those issues, I have a solution.
https://syncthing.net/
We set up and exchange device IDs, and then we then have a a common folder, in which we can place a subfolder for each member of the group. There would also be a subfolder for works to be be read and critiqued. This way we privacy, galleries of our own, all the tools we need for organization. This forum thread would serve for messages and announcements, and people would comment directly in the file in question.
How does this strike you?

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 05:17:54 PM »
Okay, so I have loose idea about how this is to be organized. The forum would be rather hard to work with, and also is in the public eye.
We set up and exchange device IDs, and then we then have a a common folder, in which we can place a subfolder for each member of the group. There would also be a subfolder for works to be be read and critiqued. This way we privacy, galleries of our own, all the tools we need for organization. This forum thread would serve for messages and announcements, and people would comment directly in the file in question.

That seems to cover all the bases; I'm for it provided it's not overly technical to set up/use.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »

Having just prowled through the basic section of the online manual, I'm all for yes. However, I'll only be able to install it in one-and-a-half week - at the moment I'm out of home, with computer that's not really mine and Internet crawling at the pace of half-asleep snail. When September rolls around, though, I should have it up and running.

@Solovei, don't worry - it seems rather user-friendly.
-----