Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 45364 times)

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Re: Cosplay Help
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »
GUYS.
I found a really awesome tutorial and I have to share it with you in hopes of lots and lots of future SSSS-cosplaying!
-I now want to make gloves??? What is this, I don't even cosplay, I don't even have the right anything to cosplay anyone in this comic. But damn it, I WANT TO MAKE GLOVES.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:24 PM »
GUYS.

I found a really awesome tutorial and I have to share it with you in hopes of lots and lots of future SSSS-cosplaying!

We all know how much the Y90 world loves their gloves, and some of them such as Reynir's "awake"-outfit, the uniform gloves and Lalli's "dream"-gloves would be near impossible to find as they are, they'd have to be made. I came across this tutorial recently that explains step by step how to make patterns for gloves and how to sew them.

Btw my entire apologies if I'm just throwing around things everyone's seen already, I'm just feeling really happy about this pattern and how well it worked so I want to be noisy about it.

So I tried it out and made this glove, a second one is in the making.

Aaaand front. These gloves sit really well and since they're made to be exactly the size of my hands they're also really easy to wear (usually gloves are my worst enemy because I have stubby fingers and end up with annoying bags of fabric at the tip of each finger). I can f.ex. turn book pages with them on, tying shoe laces was easy enough too.

All in all A+++ tutorial. My only complaint is that you'll pretty much be forced to hand-sew them, which takes time and patience I don't actually have, but machine sewing really isn't an option...  :-\

That's gorgeous!  Did you use a specially soft/flexible fabric for these gloves to make them so maneuverable?

Also, anonion or anyone else reading this... gloves are always worth having.  Aside from keeping your hands protected, long, skintight gloves like Laufey's are great for dress-up occasions.  They can be quite sexy (if that's the look you're going for). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 03:23:11 AM »
Anonion: gloves are good, make all the gloves!

Kat Sohma: yesssss to closet cosplaying, the Emil with the white coat is my favourite.

Sunflower: the fabric is thick cotton knit, it stretches but not very much. Now I'm imagining how well-fitting gloves I could make with thinner/stretchier/softer fabrics... well, one can't have too many pairs of gloves, maybe I'll have to, er, make some more samples! Yes.  ;D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

RaeSeddon

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 07:35:07 AM »
Hey, for anyone looking for a good pattern to modify for the overcoat-- with collar and closure modification this : http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/tri-color-coat-122012 coat by Burda is the cut/style I've found that's closest to what they wear in the comic.

Also Butterick has some great options for Reynir's dream outfit. Mostly B5819 in Style C with the length extended to be even all around instead of shorter in front. I have that patttern myself and will likely be test-making a mock up of Reyner's cloak in the near future.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:39:37 AM by RaeSeddon »

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »
Martti, that most best shirt is most best!

Has anyone tried to make Lalli's scout hat thingy? I've been considering it, but I can't find a pattern to base it off of. Nothing seems to be very similar (and I'm not a good enough sewer to go draft a pattern from scratch). But I really want that hat. I'm beginning to suspect I have a thing for hats.  :)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

RaeSeddon

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »
The style of hat you're looking for is something like a trapper hat or a an ushanka hat in Russian. They were usually fur-lined with flaps that went over the ears and secured under the chin. Lalli's is pointer, but you can find patterns for ushanka hats on google and tweak the basic shape from there. Hope that helps! 

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
The style of hat you're looking for is something like a trapper hat or a an ushanka hat in Russian. They were usually fur-lined with flaps that went over the ears and secured under the chin. Lalli's is pointer, but you can find patterns for ushanka hats on google and tweak the basic shape from there. Hope that helps! 

Thank you! This definitely helps! It can be really frustrating to know what you're looking for, but not know the name of it. "Lalli-style hat" is totally useless on search engines.  :P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

RaeSeddon

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »
Don't feel bad I had to google "hat with ear flaps name" to remember the name. I knew it was a Russian military hat but the name went right out of my brain.

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »
Don't feel bad I had to google "hat with ear flaps name" to remember the name. I knew it was a Russian military hat but the name went right out of my brain.
Ushanka is what it's called in Russian, but Lalli's seems to be a very stylized version that's also, technically, attached to his coat. Traditionally the earflaps have little strings or laces at the bottom so you can tie them together at the top when you're not using them, but I din't think we've seen anything similar on Lalli's hat/hood
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

RaeSeddon

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
Yeah, it's definitely very stylized, but the basic concept is the same; the brim on the front of a traditional ushanka is folded up and sewn in place but Lalli's comes to a point-- that's not a hard tweak to make-- lose the ties at the end of the earflaps and there you go.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:56 PM »
I need to get a Lalli hat now.

Psssst Ana, since you're already making one... two isn't that much more than one :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »
I need to get a Lalli hat now.

Psssst Ana, since you're already making one... two isn't that much more than one :D

Two is exactly 100% more than one. Your argument is invalid.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
Curry, you make an awesome Sigrun. If we ever want to stage a live re-enactment of SSSS, we know who to call!
Anyway, I may be in the process of making a Lalli costume. Maybe. We'll see how it goes, 'cause I've never done this before. I promise pictures if it turns out ok, though! Not necessarily on me because *shudder* photographing myself.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Elrew

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 05:10:40 AM »
Anyway, I may be in the process of making a Lalli costume. Maybe. We'll see how it goes, 'cause I've never done this before. I promise pictures if it turns out ok, though! Not necessarily on me because *shudder* photographing myself.
Ooh, I'm planning on cosplaying Lalli too but I have zero experience of making costumes except for Halloween stuff. I'm so far avoiding as much sewing as possible (I'm making his coat by modifying an old body warmer) but when you work out how to do the hat, would it be possible to share the pattern you used? I understand if you don't want to though, I know how I'd feel about giving away all my hard work

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
Sure, I can share any patterns I use! I'm usually more of a just-go-for-it kind of person (which doesn't always work out with sewing  :-\), but for stuff like the hat, I think I'm going to need some sort of baseline.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!