Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2304282 times)

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17985 on: February 10, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
Hello people! Since there isn't a thread about interesting websites (or at least I didn't find one :P) I may post it here: http://www.visitfinland.com/campaigns/finngenerator/public/en/
This is a website which generates a finnish name for you! My name would be "Aurora Kari" (like: Aurora Borealis, Rocky islet) I think it's pretty fun to play around with this name generator! And sorry for interrupting your conversations! :(

Cute! I got a name that quite describes Ensi, from the meanings it gave me:
Mielikki Ilvesniemi
Mielikki= "a woman spirit of the forest"
Ilvesniemi = "lynx cape"
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17986 on: February 10, 2018, 10:54:00 PM »
Warren County, what they're now calling Skylands.

Very cool wavewright, I'm from the other side of the state. Grew up in Passiac and Montclair. You'd be country folk as far as us New York City oriented suburbanites were concerned ;D
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17987 on: February 10, 2018, 11:22:09 PM »
Very cool wavewright, I'm from the other side of the state. Grew up in Passiac and Montclair. You'd be country folk as far as us New York City oriented suburbanites were concerned ;D

Most decidedly country, mostly cornfields & woods and the odd dairy farm, also a game farm for nurturing pheasants.  It was the kind of place that would close school for the first day of deer hunting and fishing seasons.  The Future Farmers of America was one of our biggest clubs in high school, and they kept a cow out the back. 
As an outgrowth of this discussion, I remembered an apple orchard & shop that used to be on one of the back roads of the township (and my vivid memories of picking up cider and bushels of apples from their big walk-in coolstores).  I reckoned that it would have a housing development on it by now.  Googling the name of the orchard produced no results of note, so I glumly went to Google Maps to have a look at the inevitable housing estate. 
Happy ending, it's still an orchard, and a wedding venue, and producer of baked goods for sale at shops and markets!  Different family, but hey, still going!  Treelicious Orchards, they're known as now.
I went to Rutgers, so knew lots of people from your old stomping grounds.  My mum would have grown up near you (albeit a wee bit before you), on a farm out Paramus/Teaneck way (although I don't know exactly where their farm was, hmmm).
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #17988 on: February 11, 2018, 02:38:47 AM »
I once stumbled upon a Japanese name generator while in my manga/anime phase, so I couldn't resist.

French spelling of my first name:
Tuuli — Windy
Kettunen — Foxy

American spelling of my first name (I get it a lot between people guessing the spelling based on phonetics and interacting with people from America; incidentally, only one letter is actually different):
Tellervo — The daughter of the god of forest
Korpela — Wilderness

Last name (that I tend to need to spell out in any case):
Ilmatar — The goddess of the sky in the Finnish epic Kalevala
Puro — Creek

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:27:44 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #17989 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:04 AM »
Hello people! Since there isn't a thread about interesting websites (or at least I didn't find one :P) I may post it here: http://www.visitfinland.com/campaigns/finngenerator/public/en/
This is a website which generates a finnish name for you! My name would be "Aurora Kari" (like: Aurora Borealis, Rocky islet) I think it's pretty fun to play around with this name generator! And sorry for interrupting your conversations! :(

"Tuulikki Lehtinen"
TUULIKKI — A woman spirit of the forest
LEHTINEN — Leafy

Nice!! I always knew the forest was my true calling <3

That Bunny

• Just a bunny which thinks that it is a person.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/or just call me Bunny ;3
« Reply #17990 on: February 11, 2018, 08:58:32 AM »
Cute! I got a name that quite describes Ensi, from the meanings it gave me:
Mielikki Ilvesniemi
Mielikki= "a woman spirit of the forest"
Ilvesniemi = "lynx cape"

Wow you are right! Matches perfectly!

I once stumbled upon a Japanese name generator while in my manga/anime phase, so I couldn't resist.

French spelling of my first name:
Tuuli — Windy
Kettunen — Foxy

American spelling of my first name (I get it a lot between people guessing the spelling base on phonetics and interacting with people from America; incidentally, only one letter is actually different):
Tellervo — The daughter of the god of forest
Korpela — Wilderness

Last name (that I tend to need to spell out in any case):
Ilmatar — The goddess of the sky in the Finnish epic Kalevala
Puro — Creek

Nice names! If I wrote my name in it's original spelling, my finnish name would be Vellamo (continuosly flowing water) Otsola (home of bears). And do you remember the name of the japanese name generator? (I love Anime/Manga too :3)

wait -- *new post warning* -- forests are wonderful, I like them so much! Nice that your name matches to you! My name corresponds to me too, because I love watching the sky, and my dream is to watch it one day in Canada or so, so that I can see as much stars and polar lights as possible! ;D
Fluent: :brazil: :germany: :uk:
Understand something: :france: :spain:
Want to learn: :japan: :finland: :russia:

:chap19:

Iceea

« Reply #17991 on: February 11, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
One more/last comment/story about apples. When I was a youth we would drive out Rte 46 in the fall to a big rotary in Wayne. And head north on Rte 23. In those days just north of the rotary the north and south lanes were separated by a very wide median. Wide enough that all the small, and maybe not so small, apple growers would set up a farmers market in the median. And you could pull off and park to buy apples and cider. You would walk up and down and the aroma of apples was just incredible. The vendors would give you a slice to try of what they had. It was where I got introduced to Golden Delicious, (the real ones - not those ugly tasteless yellow things they sell in grocery stores), Grimes Golden, and many other varieties I've forgotten the names of.

Looking at Google maps I can see the rotary is gone, Rte 23 has had the median eliminated, and the area is pretty well malled over in general.
"don't it always seem the same, you don't know what you got till it's gone...paved paradise put up a parking lot"
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

Robin Williams

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17992 on: February 11, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »
I tried the Finnish name generator, even though I already possess an Estonian (and also Finnish) name. I needn't have worried.
Ilmatar (as above)
Nevala (swamp)

:haw:  :haw:  :'D

Hint: That's not my name.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:58:28 PM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #17993 on: February 11, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
Tried the Finnish name generator as well and got Kaleva Luoto.
KALEVA — The mythical giant
LUOTO — Islet
I found it funny cause as of yet I haven't met a minnion that's actually taller than I am ;D
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17994 on: February 11, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
Iceea, I miss that kind of apple selling! At least we still have farmers markets. When I get home Tuesday night I shall check my Golden Harvey tree - those apples should be just about ready to harvest.

Where I am staying while working down here at Victor Harbour is still quite rural, and my hosts' daughter, who lives nearby, has this amazing tree which produces huge green apples (the size of a big quince), with a pronounced crown and a powerful apple scent. She brought over a couple of baskets of these last night to show me. She doesn't know what they are, and I have been going through my lists of apples trying to identify them for her. The scent of them suggested to me that they might be a good cooking apple, so we baked some last night and they turned out delicious, almost spicy tasting. Come winter I shall cut some scions from that tree and try grafting them onto one of mine.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17995 on: February 11, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
Ukko — The god of weather and thunder

Awesome!

Sinivuokko — Kidneywort

Wut? :'D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17996 on: February 11, 2018, 06:50:52 PM »
Tried the Finnish name generator as well and got Kaleva Luoto.
KALEVA — The mythical giant
LUOTO — Islet
I found it funny cause as of yet I haven't met a minnion that's actually taller than I am ;D

*intones* No Man is an Islet.
(with the possible exception of Langerhans)
I forget, how tall are you? Over 2 meters?

Wyrm, your one rhymes, it sings, it dances!  As much as I suspect the generation is completely random, the 'Sini' part of the plant name means 'blue', which is kinda sorta close to purple, which is...yeah okay, totally random.

Iceea

« Reply #17997 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:27 PM »
Iceea, I miss that kind of apple selling! At least we still have farmers markets. When I get home Tuesday night I shall check my Golden Harvey tree - those apples should be just about ready to harvest.

Where I am staying while working down here at Victor Harbour is still quite rural, and my hosts' daughter, who lives nearby, has this amazing tree which produces huge green apples (the size of a big quince), with a pronounced crown and a powerful apple scent.

Hmm, sounds sort of like a Granny Smith or a variety there of. Granny's are fairly large, very green, tart but quite flavorful, and yes they do make for good cooking.

Robin Williams

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17998 on: February 12, 2018, 12:17:25 AM »
Right, back again after the day of work, falling down for a bit to rest and read the forum. I grow Granny Smiths, and these are easily twice the size, bigger than a Sheepnose or a Pound Apple, with a very pronounced crown (that circle of five little knobby points at the base of some apples), and no russeting. Also a brighter, shinier green than Granny Smiths. I intend to take some back to show to my fellow Rare Fruit Society members and try if I can get a firm identification.

Victor Harbour has some amazing plants. At the place where I was working today, one of the pioneer gardens from the early settler area, the original owner planted a row of Norfolk Island Pines intended for ship masts. They are huge, now, and very beautiful. Going back there for part of the day tomorrow.

It has been an interesting trip. Two days of paid work, teaching bushcraft and foraging and propagation and growing techniques for native wild food and fibre plants, and two days of voluntary work, identifying and salvaging the plants in a couple of old gardens that are slated for demolition, and teaching the local Gorsedd their letters and trees. Exhausting but fun.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17999 on: February 12, 2018, 01:24:06 AM »
Splendid stuff!