Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2364910 times)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18060 on: April 07, 2018, 05:34:23 AM »
I suspected it would be =_= Unfortunately or fortunately, I don't need that particular property of tea at the moment, and anything eucalyptus is unbearably medicinal to me (I have the same problem with chamomile teas), so back it goes onto the shelf until I need it... This particular type of tea has the lemon added in already, it's just missing honey. I'll keep that in mind when I try it again. For the moment, I'll just keep drinking rooibos all day instead X3

Yeah :< Was definitely the worst news I've gotten for a while in terms of celebrity deaths. Will be interesting to see where Ghibli goes after this, too.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18061 on: April 07, 2018, 06:08:06 AM »
At least rooibos is good for you as well as tasty.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #18062 on: April 09, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
It is indeed, and I'm very lucky it is, haha. I probably drink far too much of it. Was raised on it (tends to happen when you're South African), and still absolutely love the stuff.

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18063 on: April 09, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
You two may share all my rooibos, since I don't care for it all that much
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

« Reply #18064 on: April 09, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »
I actually had a rooibos plant growing for awhile, until our summers killed it. I was given a dozen seeds by another rare plant collector, managed to get five started with preliminary chilling and smoke-water treatment, which is a pretty good result. A lot of the methods that work for germinating seeds from the Australian Mallee and dry sclerophyll forest environments also work well for plants from the Fynbos environment. One died of damping-off (eh, it's a fynbos plant. They do that if the humidity level isn't exactly as they like). I planted one of the survivors and passed three on to other collectors who live in areas with a kinder climate than mine. Mine was doing well, had grown to the stage that I could start harvesting a few leaves, when we had a couple of quite cold nights followed by a 47C day, after which my rooibos shrub suddenly died. It's not an uncommon event in our climate, alas!

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #18065 on: April 10, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
I will gladly take all you wish to give, Urbicande :>

Ah, that is a sad tale, Róisín :'>

Róisín

« Reply #18066 on: April 15, 2018, 01:20:24 AM »
Further anent our execrable climate: earlier in the month we had a heat wave. Longest and hottest April heat wave since settlement, hottest April day in Australia since records have been kept. No rain. Dust storms. A major bushfire within a couple of miles of my house. Preparing to evacuate. Too hot to sleep. You get the picture, I'm sure.

On Friday the day started like a perfect autumn day: temps in the mid twenties, light breezes, a few fluffy clouds. Everyone heaved a sigh of relief, thinking we might finally get some decent autumn weather. The fire was under control, so I went off to a 1.30 pm medical appointment in good spirits. I was at the doctor's for about an hour and a half. In that time the wind rose, there was a heavy dust storm followed by the clouds thickening, and just as I emerged the heavens opened. So we drove back through high winds, slippery roads and enough rain to have some flooding, and in late afternoon I did my usual Friday market preparation and picking of herbs and flowers in bucketing rain and near-freezing temperatures.

Saturday morning dawned with hail, sleet and a warning to sheep graziers of weather dangerous to their livestock. Thank goodness vintage is nearly over, and has been a fairly decent one in our area, and fruit harvest is nearly done. Our market proceeded (fortunately in the show hall rather than outside) in temperatures cold enough that I was sitting at my stall wrapped in a blanket, and I'm reasonably cold-hardy. I felt really sorry for the folk at the big equestrian event elsewhere in the showgrounds; at least the goat show which was also happening was in the sheep sheds and so under cover!

Now it's mid-afternoon Sunday, and I am alternating outside work in the intervals between rain squalls with frantically trying to salvage what I can of my storm-damaged fruit: there will be a lot of jam and fruit leather this year! At least the rain may save my young trees, many of which were withering despite being watered. It may also bring on the mushrooms in the forest, which will be good. So far I have only lost one tree to the storm, a young silky-oak which snapped at the base and came down across the driveway, and a few branches off some of the bigger trees. We've had winds of about 60k/hour, with gusts to 100k/hour, so I'm not surprised trees are coming down.

At least we had about six hours of actual autumn!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18067 on: April 15, 2018, 01:44:16 AM »
*pat pat* for Róisín's weather tribulations!  My husband has spent his day going around the neighbourhood with his chainsaw and other gear helping the community with storm damage as well.  Many limbs ripped off trees.  Temps down in the single digits, and now the temps have bounced back to close on 20.  Six hours of autumn, sigh.  Spring & autumn are not seasons Auckland really does very well, either.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #18068 on: April 15, 2018, 02:33:18 AM »
France hasn't been quite good at doing spring either lately. I think I've actually ended up with a cold and/or a brief existential crisis in spring much more often than during winter over the past few years, in no small part because weather flip-flopping between extra-sunny and downpour puts a bigger strain on my energy than a day-long dowpour.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:36:53 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18069 on: April 15, 2018, 03:01:15 AM »
Here it seems that the weather is rolling the dice each day between "light but drenching rain all day; windy enough that it's coming down sideways," "surprisingly sunny and pleasant, if a bit breezy" and "alternating downpour/hail/sunshine; also windy."
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #18070 on: April 15, 2018, 03:13:04 AM »
Do I remember correctly that you are in the Pacific Northwest? Times I have been there I've found it mostly pleasantly cool and moist, rainy enough for lots of mosses and ferns and lichens and fungi. Windy, too - I quite liked it.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18071 on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
Róisín, gaah. Sounds like you badly needed rain -- but not like that!

Very glad that at least you are not on fire.

Here we seem to be having March weather for most of April (having also had March weather for much of January.) Right now (midmorning) it's a freezing mist; glad I don't have to drive anywhere today, though it's supposed to warm up enough that the ice will melt again without much accumulation.

-- this time of year I have a table set up just outside the kitchen door (and also just outside my office window) for hardening off transplants as preliminary to moving them from the light shelves in kitchen to the greenhouse; right now there are no transplants on it, but there is a white and yellow cat taking shelter underneath it. Time to go let him in, probably

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18072 on: April 15, 2018, 09:40:57 AM »
I'm watching it snow in northwestern Illinois as I write this. Two weekends from today I will be setting up camp in southern Wisconsin for a week long rendezvous sponsored by the club I belong to. At least the 45 mph wind gusts we had yesterday have stopped. We barely avoided a blizzard so I guess we are the lucky ones.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #18073 on: April 15, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »
Sounds as if the weather is weird all over!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #18074 on: April 15, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
Sounds as if the weather is weird all over!

Not to be depressing, but I've already accepted we are heading towards the climate change apocalypse (no joke). Embrace "weird" as the new normal when it comes to weather.