Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2350476 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18015 on: February 14, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »
Yeah, the bathroom mirror thing is a nuisance. I'm in Australia, where people are generally tall. At 147cm, I'm tiny.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #18016 on: February 14, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »
wouldn't it be nice if people could donate height to others?
... would you be willing to take a bit from my other two dimensions? I'm about 1.4(Germany)-1.6(France) standard seats wide - yes, in the shoulders, too - and have an assortment of doctors nagging about my depth ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mr_Plinkett

« Reply #18017 on: February 15, 2018, 06:03:49 PM »
Quitting a job after 2 years is weird.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #18018 on: February 16, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
I've had an absolute whirlwind of height difference these last three years. I'm from the UK originally, where I'm a pretty average height of 1.65m, but then moved to Japan after finishing university where I felt like a GIANT (it was epic). After two years I had the bright idea to come to the Netherlands to study, and all of a sudden, I'm one of the shortest people around. I can't even see my full face in the bathroom mirror it's so high  :? What a change of fortunes...

When I had my apartment in Amsterdam I had to clamber up onto the sink in order to properly see myself. It was a right nuisance! I remember having that problem during the meet-up in October, too...

That Bunny

• Just a bunny which thinks that it is a person.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/or just call me Bunny ;3
« Reply #18019 on: February 16, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »
... would you be willing to take a bit from my other two dimensions? I'm about 1.4(Germany)-1.6(France) standard seats wide - yes, in the shoulders, too - and have an assortment of doctors nagging about my depth ...

Hmmm, let me think... I know some people who could use some more dimensions (like, they look almost skeleton-ish :'D)!

When I had my apartment in Amsterdam I had to clamber up onto the sink in order to properly see myself. It was a right nuisance! I remember having that problem during the meet-up in October, too...

These height-differences make me suffer too! At my college for instance, there are some shelves I simply can't reach without help  :P Even though I live in a country where being my height is normal!
Fluent: :brazil: :germany: :uk:
Understand something: :france: :spain:
Want to learn: :japan: :finland: :russia:

:chap19:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18020 on: February 16, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
The entire modern human world, from chairs to shelves to getting into truck seats, appears to have been designed both by and for people significantly taller than me. I'm seriously considering finding a folding stool of some sort to carry around with me.

If any of them have to go down in my basement, though, I get my revenge. This house was built in 1896, and has since acquired assorted pipes that bring the effective height down there even lower. I can stand upright down there, but most people can't.

let's see -- a bit under 5'2" is a bit under 62 inches which, says my calculator, is about 157 centimeters. Which, when this house was built, wasn't particularly short. But it is now; almost everybody I meet who's over 12 but younger than their 70's is taller than me. And some of the under-12's and a lot of the over-70's are, too. And yes, my sleeves and pant legs are both rolled up. But I like it down here, mostly. When I was a child I wanted to stop at 5' even, and was disappointed when I didn't.

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #18021 on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »

Right? All the people/places/stuff you just got used to, gone, and start it all over again...
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18022 on: February 17, 2018, 01:57:06 AM »
I'm a hair over 160 cm and it is pretty fun to be able to fit places easily that others can't (although getting things off high shelves is a Major Pain)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #18023 on: February 17, 2018, 03:14:14 AM »
I'm a hair over 160 cm and it is pretty fun to be able to fit places easily that others can't (although getting things off high shelves is a Major Pain)

With my 167 cm I've never had problems getting stuff off the high shelves, but my 200 cm brother did have some. It's always fun when you're able to help the tall people get stuff from the tall places!
(He has since then learned the magic trick though so now he doesn't need me for it)
(And no, I didn't have to climb anything to manage)
I've also been able to fit into places where the shorter people had trouble getting so I dunno, maybe I'm just awesome like that. Nowadays my width stop me from that but still!

I feel you, I just switched workplace after about 3 years and it is exhausting!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Róisín

« Reply #18024 on: February 17, 2018, 04:50:49 AM »
Plinkett, are you quitting work to study, changing jobs, or what?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18025 on: February 17, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »
Jobs: I am very grateful for mine. My employers look after their people and are determined to remain independent, after all of us got burnt with a buyout and venture into American corporate hell.  The company's grown so well we have finally had to resort to hiring people who aren't fellow escapees from the pit!
Mr_Plinkett, Ihope whatever new venture you're after goes well.
Windy, how's your new job going?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #18026 on: February 19, 2018, 05:31:18 AM »
Not sure, I've only been there a week and that was mostly to try stuff out. So far I've learned that it is all types of exhausting and that our kindabosses are very impressed with my work-moral. Why are all my kindabosses so impressed with how I try to be efficient at work?
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Róisín

« Reply #18027 on: February 19, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
Probably because actually trying is a rare and valuable trait in these degenerate times. Go, Windy, long may you impress your bosses!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #18028 on: March 06, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »
A lot of you heard me talking about Nantes mechanical animals (The Elephant, the giant carrousel...). They began a Kickstarter for their next project I'm waiting since years (I'm not joking, the first time they mentioned it it was supposed to open in 2015, or 2016, and it kept being delayed.) this morning. They are at ~83% financed in less than 24 hours O_o *So happy and excited*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18029 on: March 06, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
Mélusine, thats wonderful!! What are they making next?
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race