General > Language Board

Icelandic Learning Thread

<< < (2/18) > >>

viola:

--- Quote from: ParanormalAndroid on May 26, 2015, 06:20:55 PM ---This is exactly how I plan to learn Icelandic.

--- End quote ---

Oh my goodness! More Sigur Rós fans!! Yay! This is wonderful! And bonus points to you guys for actually being able to sing along with Jónsi's voice. ;) I saw them in concert two years ago and it was amazing.

For the record, I have found music a wonderful way to learn languages. When I started Danish, I made sure I had some good Danish music, same thing with Swedish, Norwegian, and German. I found that if I looked up the lyrics and translations, I could learn a lot of vocabulary and remember it easily because the songs got stuck in my head. Singing along while following the written words is also a good way to start working on pronunciation.

I actually just spent the last two years of my life writing about Icelandic music, so I am quite experienced in that area. If you guys want I can post the lyrics to a song and you guys can work on translating them, it might be good vocab practice. I can help if you get stuck. We can even start with a Sigur Rós song if you want, since you already know them. The only problem with using some Sigur Rós songs is that it can sometimes be hard to understand exactly what Jónsi is saying, especially since often sings in vonlenska (hopelandic).

Let me know if you like the song idea, and if you know what songs you want (we can do bands that are not SR too). I'm going to add some links for Icelandic music in the topic post so that you can explore on your own as well.

ParanormalAndroid:
The song idea's brilliant, and I think either Hoppipolla or Stormur would be good to start off with.
Also, is there anything you want in return? Like, another language that we know?

JoB:

--- Quote from: ParanormalAndroid on May 26, 2015, 06:20:55 PM ---This is exactly how I plan to learn Icelandic.

--- End quote ---
Don't complain when the natives later tell you that you have a "singsong" accent, though. ;)

ParanormalAndroid:

--- Quote from: JoB on May 26, 2015, 07:25:15 PM ---Don't complain when the natives later tell you that you have a "singsong" accent, though. ;)

--- End quote ---
Hah, very good. But, you know, performing won't be an issue.

Mélusine:

--- Quote from: Feartheviolas on May 26, 2015, 07:19:46 PM ---We can even start with a Sigur Rós song if you want, since you already know them. The only problem with using some Sigur Rós songs is that it can sometimes be hard to understand exactly what Jónsi is saying, especially since often sings in vonlenska (hopelandic).
--- End quote ---
*Obliging*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version