Author Topic: The Science Thread  (Read 12244 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: The Space Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 11:16:33 PM »
I'm planning on getting model rockets soonish. I have been itching to launch some for months, and once I can get to my walls hang my timeline of rockets up.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
I'm planning on getting model rockets soonish. I have been itching to launch some for months, and once I can get to my walls hang my timeline of rockets up.
Ooh, fun! If you want to do scratch-building, there's an open-source simulator called OpenRocket that will tell you whether it will break and it works pretty well. Or, you know, PM me or something I guess. *is attempting to be useful at things but is feeling awkward now*
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:25 PM »
Ooh, fun! If you want to do scratch-building, there's an open-source simulator called OpenRocket that will tell you whether it will break and it works pretty well. Or, you know, PM me or something I guess. *is attempting to be useful at things but is feeling awkward now*
That sounds cool. Does it work on android? I currently don't have a computer.
I will attempt to video the launches, when and if I can do them.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:17 PM »
That sounds cool. Does it work on android? I currently don't have a computer.
I will attempt to video the launches, when and if I can do them.
Um um um I don't know
Oh, wait, I think it does have an app, but idk if the app does all the things.
Oooh, yes, do! I will also try to get video at this rocketry festival that we are going to, at least of some of the *really* big things. ;D
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 11:56:37 PM »
Um um um I don't know
Oh, wait, I think it does have an app, but idk if the app does all the things.
Oooh, yes, do! I will also try to get video at this rocketry festival that we are going to, at least of some of the *really* big things. ;D
Cool. You know a few years back I went to space-camp. It was awesome! It was a mystery trip, and when we pulled up like 90% of the students were like 'eww', 9% were like 'meh, whatever', and I was screaming in uncontained joy.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 12:51:22 AM »
I was really interested in space as a kid, but not so much anymore.
The idea of exploring new planets will always hold appeal for me, though.  I never watched Star Trek, but the "Final Frontier" seems like a very fitting and romantic name, and always makes me look forward to seeing where we go next. 

Also, my first reaction was to post this:
Spoiler: show
Feel free to PM.

BreezeLouise

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 01:57:39 AM »
Thank you for making this, I was starting to feel kinda bad.

I know it's not actually space-related, but I've been wanting to try to make a small, simple turbojet or pulsejet as soon as I get some income. I expect it to end poorly, but it'd be so cool even just to make something that runs for a few seconds.

So who likes the idea of "space elevators" / orbital towers now that high-tensile materials are becoming available?
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=720

I'm adding that to the list of things I would love to see in my lifetime. I'm totally going to look into it more once I get access to a computer (on a 3DS now ugh).

Cool. You know a few years back I went to space-camp. It was awesome! It was a mystery trip, and when we pulled up like 90% of the students were like 'eww', 9% were like 'meh, whatever', and I was screaming in uncontained joy.

You are soooo lucky. I've had some neat school trips to museums and stuff, but nothing that cool. I've never actually had much hands-on time with any in-depth space or rocketry related stuff. What kind of things did you do?

Also, does anyone else find it surprising that there are this many of us in the fandom for a webcomic that is not particularly engineeringy/space-related? I guess futurey-webcomics just attract nerds?

I was thinking the same thing. It does seem kinda weird and random, but I'm not complaining.

(Also yes everyone please take video if you can, that would be so cool!)
Life is a state of mind.

Ruby

• Sparkly, shiny, easily distract--OOH LOOK!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 03:49:24 AM »
A thread all about SPACE? Yes, please!

I am planning to study physics (with a concentration in astronomy) and computer science in college, and hopefully someday maybe work at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. A girl can dream, right?

On a different topic, did any of you guys see the total solar eclipse earlier this year? Anyone have plans to go see the ones in 2016 or 2017?
"My cat ate my PDF file!" -Minna Sundberg

Questionable proficiency: :usa:
Passable w/ open dictionary nearby: :vaticancity:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
Ooo! My science class is learning about space exploration right now. It's really fun!
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »
Actually it was with a college preparedness group. But we did a little of everything, made rockets, did scavenger hunts, the MATs.(multy axis trainers), and other things.

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
Re: The AeroSpace Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
I'm so glad this thread exists!  I'm an engineering student, so aerospace really interests me.  I look forward to learning about any and all rocket-related things you guys have experienced!

As for interesting things that I've come across, I found and enjoyed and this interview with a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird pilot:
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/7/5447310/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-interview

The blackbird is the fastest manned jet on record, and this gives some insight into the workings of the jet, and the lives of the pilots themselves.  Cool stuff!
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »
I'm so glad this thread exists!  I'm an engineering student, so aerospace really interests me.  I look forward to learning about any and all rocket-related things you guys have experienced!

As for interesting things that I've come across, I found and enjoyed and this interview with a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird pilot:
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/7/5447310/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-interview

The blackbird is the fastest manned jet on record, and this gives some insight into the workings of the jet, and the lives of the pilots themselves.  Cool stuff!

This is awesome, thank you~

The P&W J58 has always been my favorite engine. It was far from perfect, but for the time, it was a marvel. The shock cone movement and the air bypass was just genius. Sometimes I'll just go back and look at diagrams for kicks, it's just such a cool design. I'm also really interested in being a pilot myself, so the look into the pilot's experience with it is really something else.
Edit: I love that at one point the interviewer literally just goes "Oh my god." That's totally something I would do. Along with plenty of excited bouncing.

On a slightly related note, here's a video that I always seem to come back to.
/>One of the guys from Top Gear got to take a ride in a U-2 trainer at 70,000 ft. It doesn't explain too much, but you can learn a lot just by paying attention. And it's honestly just a really cool video, I think.

I am planning to study physics (with a concentration in astronomy) and computer science in college, and hopefully someday maybe work at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. A girl can dream, right?

On a different topic, did any of you guys see the total solar eclipse earlier this year? Anyone have plans to go see the ones in 2016 or 2017?

That's great! Gosh, that would really be something. It's good that you know exactly what you want, too, it'll make everything so much easier.

Nooo, I didn't have the privilege, unfortunately. Usually, the best I can do is a NASA stream, if one's available. I'm the only person in my family that's interested, so unless I can see it from where I live, I have to miss it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:17:42 PM by BreezeLouise »
Life is a state of mind.

Tap10lan

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
I was really interested in space as a kid, but not so much anymore.
The idea of exploring new planets will always hold appeal for me, though.  I never watched Star Trek, but the "Final Frontier" seems like a very fitting and romantic name, and always makes me look forward to seeing where we go next. 

Also, my first reaction was to post this:

Wheee, especially the last 10 seconds!

Made me think of this:

Even though it isn't relevant? ;)
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »
Well, it certainly has been a while since someone posted here!
I just though I'd share this video from SpaceX's launch-abort test for their Dragon crew capsule.  They did the test about a month ago, but this is from the rocket's point of view!

/>
It's a pretty short video, but the view above the launchpad is pretty spectacular!
(Here is the view from the ground as well:
)

Also, breezelouise, thanks for sharing that video of the view from a U2 trainer.  I really wish I had a pilots license sometimes, and had the proper clearance to fly one of those things!  (Sorry for the very late reply, college finals and such got in the way.) 

On a side note, does anyone here have a pilot's license, and perhaps have pictures from when flying?  The closest I get to flying is working near an airport.

Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
Thanks for the capsule-eye-view link, that was interesting. :)
My one-and-only: :uk: