Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842071 times)

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #4485 on: October 07, 2015, 07:19:45 AM »
Heya~ o/

Quick question: What is the general opinion/view/reaction to this kind of SSSSona?
SSSSona from an AU where a survivor from a country other than the Nordic states meets some other SSSSonas who are from the Known World as given by Minna. The surviving community would have ofc developed different strategies to survive/ways to live and thus look quite different from the communities in the original SSS-verse, hence not being immediately "recognizeable" as characters in a SSSS-ish-verse without context...
The AU is not fully set up yet (I'm slow at drawing and need to do more research) but I just want to know now if it'd be okay for me to post some of the drawings/plot bits in the future if one of the "SSSSonas" is from a different setting than the original SSSS-verse. Of course with context about the other surviving community and there are more people from the original SSSS-verse in that AU so it's not like it'd be only that completely different setting.

Haven't yet checked through all the pages here, just a few, so I haven't seen any SSSSonas from other communities but if there's a separate thread for these or not desired at all, please tell me, don't want to bother people (in the wrong thread). :)

Thank you~<3
Aaah we have a couple of those, actually! They're fine and totally an OK thing. here is a document with all the SSSSonas organized by nationality at some point and we have a handful of people from places other than Scandinavia :3c

Adding on to this: if you're going to do that, I would recommend, to not disturb the strings of canon too much, that your 'sona should either be from the East Coast of the American continent or somewhere from Northern Europe. Also, since these personas come from year 96, I also recommend that they come from the places suggested in the Survival Communities thread, like Scotland or Northern Russia. Or Canada or Maine. It basically has to be plausible in the SSSS comic universe.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #4486 on: October 07, 2015, 07:39:50 AM »
Aaah we have a couple of those, actually! They're fine and totally an OK thing. here is a document with all the SSSSonas organized by nationality at some point and we have a handful of people from places other than Scandinavia :3c

Aaah, thank you very much, that's really useful :) Props to whoever compiled all of these!

Adding on to this: if you're going to do that, I would recommend, to not disturb the strings of canon too much, that your 'sona should either be from the East Coast of the American continent or somewhere from Northern Europe. Also, since these personas come from year 96, I also recommend that they come from the places suggested in the Survival Communities thread, like Scotland or Northern Russia. Or Canada or Maine. It basically has to be plausible in the SSSS comic universe.

Sadly, the surviving community is not located in any of these places. However, I am working really hard on making it plausible as to how that community survived, hence the amount of research I'm doing. The only "allowance" I gave myself was "a viable population size survives to year 90-something", the how will not be left to dumb luck. I anyway won't post anything from that specific SSSSona until I've got the solid basis for that other surviving community poured in armed concrete.
If people will deem it implausible, I won't mind leaving out that SSSSona/not post at all.
Changing the location of the surviving community is not something I want to do for various reasons (one being: plot becomes moot :'() and there's language jokes which would otherwise not really work ::)
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4487 on: October 07, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
Heya~ o/

Quick question: What is the general opinion/view/reaction to this kind of SSSSona?
SSSSona from an AU where a survivor from a country other than the Nordic states meets some other SSSSonas who are from the Known World as given by Minna. The surviving community would have ofc developed different strategies to survive/ways to live and thus look quite different from the communities in the original SSS-verse, hence not being immediately "recognizeable" as characters in a SSSS-ish-verse without context...
The AU is not fully set up yet (I'm slow at drawing and need to do more research) but I just want to know now if it'd be okay for me to post some of the drawings/plot bits in the future if one of the "SSSSonas" is from a different setting than the original SSSS-verse. Of course with context about the other surviving community and there are more people from the original SSSS-verse in that AU so it's not like it'd be only that completely different setting.

Haven't yet checked through all the pages here, just a few, so I haven't seen any SSSSonas from other communities but if there's a separate thread for these or not desired at all, please tell me, don't want to bother people (in the wrong thread). :)

Thank you~<3

Since you're calling this an AU it may be that it fits best in the Alternaverse thread. That thread has an 'anything goes' policy. Not sure how it fits with your intentions though since the thread is also mostly self-contained.

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4488 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:27 AM »
Since you're calling this an AU it may be that it fits best in the Alternaverse thread. That thread has an 'anything goes' policy. Not sure how it fits with your intentions though since the thread is also mostly self-contained.

It's kinda hard to "categorize" this story thing... I mean, the other surviving community is not part of the Known World but at the same time, I'm not trying to "break canon" as Ragnarok describes it in the opening post of the Alternaverse thread, I'm rather seeing this as an "expansion" of the canon... would you still call it an AU if the comic-relevant part of the universe is left virtually unchanged?  I'm kind of calling it an AU for a lack of better word atm...

But thank you, will check out the Alternaverse in depth later on once I get over the whole villain thing!
Languages:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4489 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
It's kinda hard to "categorize" this story thing... I mean, the other surviving community is not part of the Known World but at the same time, I'm not trying to "break canon" as Ragnarok describes it in the opening post of the Alternaverse thread, I'm rather seeing this as an "expansion" of the canon... would you still call it an AU if the comic-relevant part of the universe is left virtually unchanged?  I'm kind of calling it an AU for a lack of better word atm...

But thank you, will check out the Alternaverse in depth later on once I get over the whole villain thing!

Maybe you'll need a separate thread for your kind of thing, a thread for an 'Expanded Universe' as they call it in the Star Wars Franchise.

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4490 on: October 07, 2015, 08:43:38 AM »
Maybe you'll need a separate thread for your kind of thing, a thread for an 'Expanded Universe' as they call it in the Star Wars Franchise.

A separate thread... that's a bit... I'm a bit too shy for that hrm, I mean, maybe, possibly, but only if that's an okay thing here - because you're right as this SSSSona story doesn't really fit in this thead here or the Alternaverse - and then only when I'm done setting up the other surviving community soooo... in several months, maybe???
Languages:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4491 on: October 07, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »
Aaah, thank you very much, that's really useful :) Props to whoever compiled all of these!

*grabs ParanormalAndroid and KauniitaUnia and takes a group bow* thank you, thank you very much 8)

Also, Aki, just do whatever you're comfortable with! Overall this thread/board is a way to have fun and create characters with a built-in group to interact with, and it's really not all that serious of a thing. Just do whatever makes you happiest and if it doesn't take over other people's characters everything will be okay :)
YEET

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4492 on: October 07, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »
*grabs ParanormalAndroid and KauniitaUnia and takes a group bow* thank you, thank you very much 8)

Also, Aki, just do whatever you're comfortable with! Overall this thread/board is a way to have fun and create characters with a built-in group to interact with, and it's really not all that serious of a thing. Just do whatever makes you happiest and if it doesn't take over other people's characters everything will be okay :)

*applauds loudly for the trio* d( =3=)b

Thank you, I'll see how this turns out once I'm more advanced in my doodles, drawings and notes about the setting. ;3;
Languages:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #4493 on: October 07, 2015, 10:18:44 AM »
Heya~ o/

Thank you~<3

Arbet's met quite a lot of southern-Germany-based people in his travels. The Alps are good for defense...

Anyway, as long as survival of those communities is plausible, go nuts. However, if Minna ends up sending the gang to that area, expect retcon.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:01:34 AM by Ragnarok »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #4494 on: October 07, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
(Those two did most of it, I kind of uselessly floated around)

Aki, I'll be honest, I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean to do with that idea- is it a fully-fledged AU or just a 'sona?

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4495 on: October 07, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »
(Those two did most of it, I kind of uselessly floated around)

Aki, I'll be honest, I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean to do with that idea- is it a fully-fledged AU or just a 'sona?

The SSSSonas (so far 6-7 people) are based on friends of mine and me, it's sort of an RP (without us actually ever really meeting up for an RP because I volunteered to design the designs/uniforms+settings etc. and I'm not quite done sticking my dear friends and I into uniforms/roles) within an extended SSSS world (SSSS AU if you want). It's basically based on the SSSS readers in our group going: "Oh god, what if WE were in the SSSS world?"* and things ensued, like choosing professions :P and me going: "You know what, I wanna see if I can keep our nationalities intact." - a stupid idea from which some plot ensued.
I say plot but it's also mostly just: "What would we do if we were doing what the crew is doing now?" - "Dying?" - "Besides that?" - "Derp." - "True. Derp it is. Let's draw that."
*we already have something similar going on as an (insider) original story but that's private

I thought it'd be nice if I/we could share some of the artworks and our ideas about what could happen / "scenes" and so on in a thread because they are fun and still SSSS-related in a way and wanted to know where I could do that because I've been told that that's not a thing that should happen in the regular art thread and should go somewhere in the PerSSSSonas threads. Hence me asking. Because if that's not a thing here, I won't bother with prepping things up for the forum and just keep it among my group of friends.

Anyway, as long as survival of those communities is plausible, go nuts. However, if Minna ends up sending the gang to that area, expect retcon.

If Minna were to send the gang there, I'd probably end up in a happiness coma and will see about the retcon when that brigde has to be crossed ^^''''
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:41:54 AM by Aki »
Languages:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4496 on: October 07, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
The SSSSonas (so far 6-7 people) are based on friends of mine and me, it's sort of an RP (without us actually ever really meeting up for an RP because I volunteered to design the designs/uniforms+settings etc. and I'm not quite done sticking my dear friends and I into uniforms/roles) within an extended SSSS world (SSSS AU if you want). It's basically based on the SSSS readers in our group going: "Oh god, what if WE were in the SSSS world?"* and things ensued, like choosing professions :P
There is some idea of a plot but it's also mostly just: "What would we do if we were doing what the crew is doing now?" - "Dying?" - "Besides that?" - "Derp." - "True. Derp it is. Let's draw that."
*we already have something similar going on as an (insider) original story but that's private

I thought it'd be nice if I/we could share some of the artworks and our ideas about what could happen / "scenes" and so on in a thread and wanted to know where I could do that because I've been told that that's not a thing that should happen in the regular art thread and should go somewhere in the PerSSSSonas threads. Hence me asking.

Aaah, that makes more sense! It sounds like you all have a separate expedition going, so you wouldn't be joining ours. I see no problem with you using this thread because it is you and your friends in the SSSS universe and that's the definition of self-insert, after all! I'd love to see what you're doing! It sounds like a lot of fun :)

And Ragnarok, I really don't think there's a need for a separate thread since it's based around a couple people. In the beginning everybody was on different groups and expeditions (if they were on teams at all, which most people weren't) so it's not a big deal to have separate missions for different people, especially because they're a small section and there's only one person on the forum (so far?). This is a light-hearted thing and there's no reason to separate one person from the rest of the fun! :D

make sure to participate in the latest Halloweensona trend too ;3c
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #4497 on: October 07, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
From what I can tell, this could work easily, so long as your group's journey didn't overlap with our random expedition. If they stay separate, set up a thread and post everything there. If they work with our ~50 'sonas, you don't even need to do that.

Even if it did overlap with the previously arranged expedition, it would still be completely welcome. There is no need to limit the sonas to only one story.

As for using a different thread, that is up to you Aki because it is your creation. If it fits well enough here, feel free to leave it, if you feel it could be its own thread then you can start a new one. Which ever you choose, if it turns out it would have been better the other way we can always split/merge the thread if needed.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #4498 on: October 07, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »
Even if it did overlap with the previously arranged expedition, it would still be completely welcome. There is no need to limit the sonas to only one story.

As for using a different thread, that is up to you Aki because it is your creation. If it fits well enough here, feel free to leave it, if you feel it could be its own thread then you can start a new one. Which ever you choose, if it turns out it would have been better the other way we can always split/merge the thread if needed.

Use this instead of my comment because I am bad with conversating.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #4499 on: October 07, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »
Snip
Pokes my nose in to say that Koalalou, the co-founder of this thread along with Haiz, has her ssssona being a canadian scout being shipwrecked/blown across the sea to the coast of Norway. So I wouldn't worry, and I'd even say what you're planning and what you've been doing so far is exactly how this thread started ;)