Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843353 times)

Vafhudr

• Ranger
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »
I feel like we're the pool of applicants for the original crew.  ;D called in when they have the money for more ventures. Could be really fun. So I think we need a doc/some sort roleplay thing. What do you guys think?

There is actually a SSSS roleplaying thread somewhere around, they have rules for classes and health and stuff and it's amazing! We should start a roleplay session on one of the chats or something!  ;D We'd need someone to be the gamemaster though...and the different timezones and schedules may prove to be a problem... :(

Using your self-insert in that rpg system does come with the risk of said self-insert dying horrendously, just so you know.

This is something I may be able to help with - if enough are interested. I have what we could call extensive experience in play-by-post roleplaying from spending time with friends on forums. You have a game master and players, a roleplaying thread as well as an out of character thread, in which tactics and plot are discussed. You write up your response to the gm's situation or to other player's post and updates move the plot forward and it reads as a kind of collaborative story. (if albeit of low quality because it tends to be directly correlated to the quality of writing or of the writing prompt). It's an imperfect art, to say the least and a roleplay can easily stall due to a number of reasons, but if done right it is quite a bit of fun (especially if you like to write - it's like continuous writing improv).

Nor does it need to be dangerous to self-insert. In the spirit of the source material, it can be scary, even tense, but we can avoid player casualties (as long as nothing incredibly dumb is done) and focus on other themes - exploration, discovery, friendship, an emphasis on dungeon crawling over pure stabbity stab - it's all a matter of writing style. Scenarios could range from checking out an infected island to going on a whale hunt.

If some of you are interested, I could set up a demo in a week or two (I will soon have considerable amount of free time), and this could be tried out.

These are examples of past stuff I've done, if someone needs something more concrete than my awkward description:
Sample OoC thread - https://bato.to/forums/topic/19059-ooc-four-winds/
Sample RP thread - https://bato.to/forums/topic/19301-rp-four-winds/
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »
This is something I may be able to help with - if enough are interested. I have what we could call extensive experience in play-by-post roleplaying from spending time with friends on forums. You have a game master and players, a roleplaying thread as well as an out of character thread, in which tactics and plot are discussed. You write up your response to the gm's situation or to other player's post and updates move the plot forward and it reads as a kind of collaborative story. (if albeit of low quality because it tends to be directly correlated to the quality of writing or of the writing prompt). It's an imperfect art, to say the least and a roleplay can easily stall due to a number of reasons, but if done right it is quite a bit of fun (especially if you like to write - it's like continuous writing improv).

Nor does it need to be dangerous to self-insert. In the spirit of the source material, it can be scary, even tense, but we can avoid player casualties (as long as nothing incredibly dumb is done) and focus on other themes - exploration, discovery, friendship, an emphasis on dungeon crawling over pure stabbity stab - it's all a matter of writing style. Scenarios could range from checking out an infected island to going on a whale hunt.

If some of you are interested, I could set up a demo in a week or two (I will soon have considerable amount of free time), and this could be tried out.

These are examples of past stuff I've done, if someone needs something more concrete than my awkward description:

I'm game! I love RPing. It's my passion.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »

Nor does it need to be dangerous to self-insert. In the spirit of the source material, it can be scary, even tense, but we can avoid player casualties (as long as nothing incredibly dumb is done) and focus on other themes

By all means, but in the spirit of SSSS I will expect at least a little bit of token stupidity :P

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Self-Inserts in RPG
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
There is actually a SSSS roleplaying thread... and it's amazing! We should start a roleplay session on one of the chats or something!  ;D We'd need someone to be the gamemaster though...and the different timezones and schedules may prove to be a problem... :(
Here is the RPG thread:  http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=121.0

Leading participants include P__ (the project lead), FinnishViking, Korppi, Fimbulvarg, and others whose names I'm sure I'm forgetting.  ThisCat, Rollo, and kex were active too, in the early days.

If you want to launch your self-insert characters into play, I'm sure the RPG people would be pleased to test their system.  (With Fim's warning about the risk of sudden death in mind...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2015, 07:37:55 PM »
Using your self-insert in that rpg system does come with the risk of said self-insert dying horrendously, just so you know.

Oh.. erm... :-\ didn't think of that...

I am a DM. I use pathfinder/my own system. . . there is always forum based roleplay. Like http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2434538. And I have lots of experience with those too. Those generally move slower and are 100% text based. Idk.

:o eee! I wouldn't mind the slow going or the fact that it's text-based at all!  ;D

yes. YES! I am very interested in this! Storytelling was always my favorite part of D&D anyway! I will participate in this!  ;D I'm so excited! (*has been secretly hoping for something like this to happen for a while now*)
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »
:o eee! I wouldn't mind the slow going or the fact that it's text-based at all!  ;D
^that
Although I may not be online often and at odd hours, I would totally help test this!
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »

yes. YES! I am very interested in this! Storytelling was always my favorite part of D&D anyway! I will participate in this!  ;D I'm so excited! (*has been secretly hoping for something like this to happen for a while now*)

Same! I'm so game, although it's been a very long time since I have done ANY roleplaying so I will probably be realllyyyyy rusty? I think it would be super fun though (and properly chaotic to boot)
YEET

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
^that
Although I may not be online often and at odd hours, I would totally help test this!

Tis not a big problem, I often wait a while for responses. As long as the majority of the RPers don't mind giving recaps, and such. Things go rather smoothly.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »
Tis not a big problem, I often wait a while for responses. As long as the majority of the RPers don't mind giving recaps, and such. Things go rather smoothly.

I am def okay with giving recaps it gives me an excuse to summarize things, but with added sarcasm and humor.
YEET

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »
i would maybe join for rp thing but i think i'm super bad at rp'ing so i have no idea
also i'm too tired to read through everything that has been said right now so maybe i'll. look into it later or something.
you'll know where to find me.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
I really like D&D, but I've never done any online RPing before, so I'm not too sure how it works differently, and there's a high chance I'll be failing miserably at it for a while  :-\
Well anyway, depending on when this gets started I might be able to get involved as it seems like a really fun thing to do  :) no promises however as workload is stupidly unpredictable atm…

Hehe, had a quick look at the links you guys were posting, but it might be "get off the internet and sleep" time now (oops?), so maybe reading them again when not tired would make the stuff clearer  :D
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:13 PM »
i would maybe join for rp thing but i think i'm super bad at rp'ing so i have no idea
also i'm too tired to read through everything that has been said right now so maybe i'll. look into it later or something.

From what I've seen of you creative impulses you'll do great. With text based RPs remember one-liners suck. They are really hard to reply to, and if you have multiple characters, don't have them move as a group all the time. I am playing Lalli and Sigrun in a RP and I do have them interact but not exclusively with each other.  ^_^

I really like D&D, but I've never done any online RPing before, so I'm not too sure how it works differently, and there's a high chance I'll be failing miserably at it for a while  :-\
Well anyway, depending on when this gets started I might be able to get involved as it seems like a really fun thing to do  :) no promises however as workload is stupidly unpredictable atm…

Hehe, had a quick look at the links you guys were posting, but it might be "get off the internet and sleep" time now (oops?), so maybe reading them again when not tired would make the stuff clearer  :D
It's much different but kinda the same. I feel it's more interaction based rather than battle. (Well in my Shaman King one it was equal) as long as you have good personalitys with your characters there isn't much failing. ^_^ I started learning how to write good fiction from roleplay.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2015, 01:13:00 AM »
With text based RPs remember one-liners suck. They are really hard to reply to, and if you have multiple characters, don't have them move as a group all the time.

^^ this. As a person who has, um, "gamemastered" with friends in personal systems, I've seen a lot on how to roleplay well with just text. However, it is tons of fun with good characters.

On an entirely different note, here's the WIP of my insert. You can probably tell that I was drawing three of my least favorite things - guns, people, and myself. (Not to say I dislike all of them, just that I have a hard time drawing them...) I dunno, thoughts?

Name: Chandler Memmott (I can't figure out how to Noricize that one...)
Nationality: Swedish
Area of Birth: Luleå
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Day Scout, Misc.
Languages: :sweden:, working on :finland:

Born and raised in Luleå, this young man has worked with the "small town survival" mentality his entire life. Despite not being the most athletic person out there, he finds joy in his job as a day-scout. The solitude suits him. However, he does dream of visiting more populated areas, and really wishes he could have friends with more limbs and personality left.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:28:58 AM by Adrai Thell »
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2015, 03:55:25 AM »
Name: Chandler Memmott (I can't figure out how to Noricize that one...)
Nationality: Finnish
Area of Birth: Luleå
Immunity: Yes
Profession: Day Scout, Misc.
Languages: :finland:

More later, Internet's about out...

I find it interesting that you're born in Luleå yet speak Finnish. Did your family move to Finland shortly after you were born?
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2015, 04:29:22 AM »
Oh man, I haven't rp'ed since 7th grade. BUT I'm totally up for giving this a shot, because it sounds really fun and also because I love writing! C: I should probably write a character bio of some sort, too...