Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484329 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #8940 on: February 21, 2016, 05:29:33 PM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shakfsfiusgflaheSAHSFGLGLNBEEBBLUB

Hello thank you for killing me tonight with this awesomeness! Great taste, by the way!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8941 on: February 21, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
A lot of redheads happened lately :)

Gwenno - oh my, I laughed so hard. And I don't want to be around Sigrun when she looks into a mirror
Ana Nymus - aww this is just cute
Laufey - unconscious Sigrun is beautiful, but I hope she comes to herself again soon
shaeira - oh, all these lovely Purritos :)
Unlos - this portrait looks nice, can't wait to see the finished version
Jureeya - wow  :o
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

laila

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8942 on: February 21, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
Aaaaaand I'm caught up.

I'm also feeling the most unusual craving to ART. I don't have any equipment that isn't aging, cheap or both, don't even own a proper table to work on, I haven't drawn in years and what I produced was mediocre at best. I'm still planning to actually buy that tablet that's been sitting on my 'some day, maybe' list for the least five years at least when pay day rolls around. I have Photoshop Essentials and no idea how to use it, I have an art style that stagnated around 'nineties anime' and never matured, and I still really want to draw Reynir.

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent entry-level tablet that works, isn't rubbish, and won't just break immediately? I'll repay you with mindless doodling of boys with lots of hair in... ooh, about two weeks' time?

Edit: Forgot to say what may go without saying, but I want to repeat anyway: This fandom is absolutely amazing. All this art. I love the Sigruns, I love Reynir and his hair and his tendency to rock skirts, I love the watercolours and the AUs and Swamp Thing Lalli and Mermikkel and everything featuring Emil. I love all of you and everything and I swear I'll get my head round who does what in time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:35:43 PM by laila »
Native: :uk:
Horrible: :germany:
Survived: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:

Jureeya

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • cold leaf
« Reply #8943 on: February 21, 2016, 07:56:31 PM »
Aaaaaand I'm caught up.

I'm also feeling the most unusual craving to ART. I don't have any equipment that isn't aging, cheap or both, don't even own a proper table to work on, I haven't drawn in years and what I produced was mediocre at best. I'm still planning to actually buy that tablet that's been sitting on my 'some day, maybe' list for the least five years at least when pay day rolls around. I have Photoshop Essentials and no idea how to use it, I have an art style that stagnated around 'nineties anime' and never matured, and I still really want to draw Reynir.

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent entry-level tablet that works, isn't rubbish, and won't just break immediately? I'll repay you with mindless doodling of boys with lots of hair in... ooh, about two weeks' time?

HUION tablets, you can find them on amazon. I used one forever until i got a laptop with a touchscreen (i still dont have a real tablet lol). I got mine for about $40-50

http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Graphic-Drawing-Tablet-Pressure/dp/B00DKW816K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1456102701&sr=8-5&keywords=huion

its super easy, if you're absolutely just starting out digital painting i would go with SAI over photoshop just because PS has an intimidating amount of stuff it can do and you'll likely get confused.

edit: IM SO SORRY I FORGOT TO THANK YOU GUYS

YOU GUYS ARE SO NICE, THANK YOU SO MUCH
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:00:36 PM by Jureeya »
Survived: :chap10:

Fluent: :usa: :spain:
Learned and currently forgetting: :japan: :vaticancity:
Learning: :sweden: :germany:

>Buy Me a Coffee<

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #8944 on: February 22, 2016, 04:42:05 AM »
Aaaaaand I'm caught up.

Edit: Forgot to say what may go without saying, but I want to repeat anyway: This fandom is absolutely amazing. All this art. I love the Sigruns, I love Reynir and his hair and his tendency to rock skirts, I love the watercolours and the AUs and Swamp Thing Lalli and Mermikkel and everything featuring Emil. I love all of you and everything and I swear I'll get my head round who does what in time.

There's the Art Supply Discussion Thread (links to where tablets are mentioned here -mostly about nibs- and here -about tablet recommendations and what people here use-) and also the Art Programs thread. Though if you have Photoshop Essentials already, I'd recommend watching video tutorials for it and experimenting rather than going to get a whole different program (except Krita! I will always recommend Krita! Free and amazing and regularly updated!), because other than the free ones like FireAlpaca and Krita, you're either pirating or forking out more money for something you already have.

As for quick recommendations for tablets, Monoprice (rebranded Huion) is cheap and will last you at least a year with decent usage without developing any problems (including minor ones). I would recommend going for a cheap Wacom, though, if you're in any way serious - no batteries needed for the pen, good quality even for the cheap ones, and the chord is separated from the tablet so if you ever have any problems there, you only need to replace the chord, not the whole tablet. Second hand is also a way to go, especially if you're only trying it out.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8945 on: February 22, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
Thank you, everyone who liked human-kitty and kitty-Reynir. ^-^ That was just too fun to draw!

Laufey: Sigrun! Amazing Sigrun! Sigruuuuuuuuuun!
shaeira: I LOVE HUMAN KITTY SO MUCH. Of course she'd be a mage! She's adorable!
Unlos: Ooh, I especially like the hair and the eyes on your Reynir! Such floofy hair!
Jureeya: Oh, what? Another amazing Sigrun to add to the collection? Well, bring it in! Though I'm mildly concerned she's going to cut herself like that.

Lalia: I'll let the others give tablet recommendations and such, seeing as I stole borrowed mine from my dad and as such had no choice in the model, but I want to throw in my own encouragement! If you're itching to do art, then we're itching to see it! Also, I'd be really interested in seeing what 90's anime Reynir looks like ;)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8946 on: February 22, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
So much excellent art! I lovelovelove kittygirl, she's super cute.
<sneep sneep>
wELL NOW THAT YOU'VE MURDERED US I may be developing a *sliiiiiiight* Sigrun thing, why do you ask
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #8947 on: February 22, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »
@unlos how are your skin tones so good in this. how.

So yeah predictably I am here with more Sigrun cause I Am In Love With Her. There are two versions, second (below cut) is bloody.

Thank you so much! I am referencing Smirtys speedpaint of Sigrun extremely heavily for how to paint skin. .
Great Sigrun, I admire your style a lot! She looks so competent and relaxed, nice contrast with all that blood..

A lot of redheads happened lately :)
Unlos - this portrait looks nice, can't wait to see the finished version
Thank you, everyone who liked human-kitty and kitty-Reynir. ^-^ That was just too fun to draw!
Unlos: Ooh, I especially like the hair and the eyes on your Reynir! Such floofy hair!
Thank you, here the finished version:

And Laila, welcome to the forum! I had also not drawn in a long time and not even thought about buying a tablet before joining this forum, and I even lurked on this thread a long time before taking a step and starting to draw as well. I can recommend it! I got myself a small wacom intuos and is pretty pleased with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you will draw!

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8948 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:31 PM »

Thank you, here the finished version:

It turned out great! Love the colours you chose for his clothes and the background.

I started this when I thought Onni will be just a worried grump in Mora - but today's page suggests his role might be larger and more useful (yay!), so I got plenty new ideas now (owl luonto <3).

But nonetheless, I leave this here. He's definitely not crying - just allergic to cats.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8949 on: February 23, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »
Unlos: that's a brilliant Reynir, I love how pouty he looks! Plus those staves... I see what you did there. :D

Helia: aaaa yes please more Onni art (my secret weakness)!!! Of course it's just allergy, poor lad has so many of those.

Meanwhile I tried to challenge myself a bit and painted two pictures on the prompt "eyes closed, two different moods": one speed paint (or as speedy as watercolours allow), another one painting without a sketch.

The speed paint one went about as well as one could expect... it went kinda badly in many ways. Number one problem is that Sigrun was supposed to be attacked and not just randomly slash herself in the face, if you didn't see that before you probably won't be able to unsee it now, you're welcome!

I do like how the folds of her tunic came out though, and that glove looks good.

The progress of the other one, no sketching just straight ahead painting. Larger version of the pic can be found here.

Finished picture. Now you all know my fingers have weird joints that bend too much because my own hands were the only referene I had readily available. :P Anyway, sharpening knives is really meditative but for reasons I tend to get achy fingers.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #8950 on: February 23, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »
I started this when I thought Onni will be just a worried grump in Mora - but today's page suggests his role might be larger and more useful (yay!), so I got plenty new ideas now (owl luonto <3).

But nonetheless, I leave this here. He's definitely not crying - just allergic to cats.

Not crying at all, nope. < 3 I love thiiiis. : D Hooray, more Onni art!

Meanwhile I tried to challenge myself a bit and painted two pictures on the prompt "eyes closed, two different moods": one speed paint (or as speedy as watercolours allow), another one painting without a sketch.

The speed paint one went about as well as one could expect... it went kinda badly in many ways. Number one problem is that Sigrun was supposed to be attacked and not just randomly slash herself in the face, if you didn't see that before you probably won't be able to unsee it now, you're welcome!

I do like how the folds of her tunic came out though, and that glove looks good.

The progress of the other one, no sketching just straight ahead painting. Larger version of the pic can be found here.

Finished picture. Now you all know my fingers have weird joints that bend too much because my own hands were the only referene I had readily available. :P Anyway, sharpening knives is really meditative but for reasons I tend to get achy fingers.

It's pretty cool to see your process. < 3 Watercolouring without an undersketch sounds like it would be hella difficult, though.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #8951 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »
Aaaaand... Done.

Whew!

This is the only thread that I forced myself to go through, trying to catch up with all the new arts, and I'm not sorry, not even one bit. You guys are amazing! ;D
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8952 on: February 23, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »

Cool Sigruns! I love the dynamic in the first picture (even if she's cutting herself - yes, I can't unsee it now; why did you have to mention it  ::)). And thank you for sharing your work in progress pictures - it's quite interesting to see them; your work method seems to be quite different from mine (If I can call my colour puddles a method)

And since Lars expressed his wish to see a sparkling Onni - after a fun day with the little Västerströms - I couldn't resist doodling this.

(someone please, ban me from this thread before I spam it with Onnis)

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #8953 on: February 23, 2016, 06:59:54 PM »

Poor Onni with so many allergies.

Now that you mention it... I'm never going to be able to unsee her cutting her own hair now. Because she got frustrated with it, you see.  ;)

Nice, this would be Sigrun's calming meditative activity of choice, wouldn't it?

And since Lars expressed his wish to see a sparkling Onni - after a fun day with the little Västerströms - I couldn't resist doodling this.

(someone please, ban me from this thread before I spam it with Onnis)

I did not know I needed this in my life thank you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:02:25 PM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #8954 on: February 23, 2016, 07:17:32 PM »
all these arts, I still don't get how you all can use them. I am just amazed
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20: