Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484081 times)

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #240 on: November 11, 2014, 05:52:53 AM »
@ Lenny
Yes, Braidy is fiiiiiiiinnee  ;) I'm glad I have made your life a complete one, may you rest in fan-girl peace!

@ curiosity
Will do! I've had far too much fun to stop now! Soon EVERYONE will be in tiny mini-skirts! *mua-hahahahahhaaa!*
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2014, 06:07:51 AM »
Sailor Lalli and the Silent Scouts

What have I created?
This one was without a doubt the most disturbing of the bunch. Large men should not be put in drag. EVER.
Mikkel is pretty much just bearing this ridiculousness so that he can get it over with sooner. Stoic and enduring, that's what I've gathered from his character so far. We'll have to see how he develops!

It was hard to judge how exactly to draw his body. We've only seen him in big bulky clothes, so we don't know what he looks like underneath. I wen with a physique similar to my brother's: broad and chunky, but muscled in the limbs due to working outside. Mikkel works on a farm, so I imagine he saw some outside labor. I think it worked out well, I hope so anyways!

insert image of unhappy looking Silent Scout Mikkel
WAHAHAHA, this is so perfect, I think I just died XD
All of them look so great and I admire your drawing skills!
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2014, 07:04:51 AM »
I was giggling out loud, the whoooole time I was looking at these. And a good bit afterwards, too. My brother was giving me funny looks...

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
I did no see that. Nope. Did not see that.

If you look for me, I'll be holding my shock blanket as tightly wrapped around my shoulders as I can.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #244 on: November 11, 2014, 07:43:08 AM »
Will do! I've had far too much fun to stop now! Soon EVERYONE will be in tiny mini-skirts! *mua-hahahahahhaaa!*
I guess, then, that we'll also find out how much pull in the military Trond really has ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Thorin Schmidt

« Reply #245 on: November 11, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
I know I'm just echoing everyone.  I just want you to know that I too.....  OOOOO   MMMMM    GGGGG!!!

SO cool.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #246 on: November 11, 2014, 08:29:02 AM »
There are tons of alternatives to Photoshop, you know. Photoshop is not the "best of the best" for artists. It's just widely used because it was the only good option for a very long time. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good program, but it does have its faults, and there ARE other good programs out there.

Personally, I'm fond of the CELSYS programs. Brilliant lineart capabilities, something I found lacking in Photoshop, myself. Large variety of brushes, and much nicer control than what I found in Photoshop. Plus the interfaces are much easier to follow. They're also geared towards creating manga and anime, so for comic artists they're very nice indeed. Minna uses one of their programs to draw SSSS in - what's known as Clip Studio Paint, or Manga Studio. It's also quite cheap for an art program. Sadly, you missed the huge sale they had a few weeks ago - $15 for Clip Studio Paint pro. It's around $50 now.

Usually I'd also recommend Paint Tool SAI, but I'm not certain how that program stands right now. The old version is abandonware (so no bug support), and I do not know if the new program is out in English yet. Earlier this year there was a Japanese demo release of it, so it shouldn't be too long, but ... yeah, not sure.

Now for the "I can't give out any money no matter how little" options (I'm in this section, hahaaaa...) : Krita is another program that's quite good - plus opensource. Krita is the one I'm currently using. I've found it can do all of what Photoshop can. As far as I'm aware, custom (royalty-free, of course) Photoshop brushes can be used in Krita, and it's just a nice program overall. MyPaint is also a really nice program, especially for textures. Also opensource. Though you'll hear it mentioned often, I would NOT recommend GIMP if your main use for it is illustration - hard to get used to, plus I've had many many hours of frustration due to issues with tablet pressure.

And lastly I'll echo the age-old saying - it's the artist that makes the tool, not the tool that makes the artist.

Hey, thanks!

I have Photoshop Elements. The problem I have with it is that it has a very small range of brushes, so I have to stick to line work and flat color (usually what I do anyway but painting is cool y'know).

My problem is that my computer is a Mac and most of those programs are only for Windows (I know Paint Tool SAI in particular). I tried looking for options once. And I have zero money, yeah.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #247 on: November 11, 2014, 08:31:12 AM »
Oh, and I promised y'all fan art, so while I'm here, have a Braidy:

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #248 on: November 11, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »
Hey, thanks!

I have Photoshop Elements. The problem I have with it is that it has a very small range of brushes, so I have to stick to line work and flat color (usually what I do anyway but painting is cool y'know).

My problem is that my computer is a Mac and most of those programs are only for Windows (I know Paint Tool SAI in particular). I tried looking for options once. And I have zero money, yeah.

Hm. I seem to have the opposite problem (Windows, all the programs I fall in love with are for Mac. Except for video games.)

But anyway, you can use custom/ premade Photoshop brushes in Elements, because that's what I have also, and I use a whole bunch of other people's brushes. Once you open the brush selector, there should be a little four-line menu icon on the top; click that, then "Load Brushes," and then navigate to the brush (.ABR) files. The only problem is that I seem to have to keep reloading the brushes every time I want to use them, but better than nothing.

EDIT: Sadly, my favorite set of brushes appears to have disappeared from the 'net, so here's another set that looks interesting, for starters. Search engines are your friend.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:21:32 AM by mithrysc »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #249 on: November 11, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
I guess, then, that we'll also find out how much pull in the military Trond really has ...

I'm getting some savoury flashbacks from the Lalliboots-thread here.

Eyes like a lemur! Great work, but maybe the pupils could be slightly more aligned.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:00:21 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #250 on: November 11, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
Eyes like a lemur! Great work, but maybe the pupils could be slightly more aligned.

Haha thanks, I see that now. Don't think it's glaringly obvious.

Hm. I seem to have the opposite problem (Windows, all the programs I fall in love with are for Mac. Except for video games.)

But anyway, you can use custom/ premade Photoshop brushes in Elements, because that's what I have also, and I use a whole bunch of other people's brushes. Once you open the brush selector, there should be a little four-line menu icon on the top; click that, then "Load Brushes," and then navigate to the brush (.ABR) files. The only problem is that I seem to have to keep reloading the brushes every time I want to use them, but better than nothing.

EDIT: Sadly, my favorite set of brushes appears to have disappeared from the 'net, so here's another set that looks interesting, for starters. Search engines are your friend.

Wow thank you!  :D I'll try that out!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #251 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Haha thanks, I see that now. Don't think it's glaringly obvious.

No, it isn't. I only noticed it when I actually sat down to study it. If you zoom out it's even less noticable, so maybe you'd want to use the image resizing function.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2014, 01:06:38 PM »

BIG EYES. O.O
(P.S. That linework is fantastic!)

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #253 on: November 11, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »
No, it isn't. I only noticed it when I actually sat down to study it. If you zoom out it's even less noticable, so maybe you'd want to use the image resizing function.

pssst... how do you use that?

BIG EYES. O.O

That's my specialty ;D

(P.S. That linework is fantastic!)

Thank you!  :D I spent an embarrassingly long amount of time on it!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:43:15 PM by Piney »

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #254 on: November 11, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »

Aw, what a unique style! :)
Linework is truly interesting, and I honestly loved the colours.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany: