Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2483764 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »
*SQUEALS* I have nothing new to say, but I love it!! And the color scheme is spot-on!
Man, I wish I had Photoshop...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »
Damn... 
Feel free to PM.

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »
Almond-Goddess that is AWESOME!

you should really post a link on the comments to give more people a chance to see this!

/L
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »
I second everyone else's remarks, Almond-Goddess.  Beautiful brushwork!  Restricted (complementary) color scheme!  Character insight!  And Lalli's little footsies paddling in the air!  Yay!!

The side-by-side position actually reminds me of my first waltz lessons -- unnerved facial expression and all.  Only I'm rather harder to lift than Lalli...  ::)

Thank you! Part of the reason I wanted to draw this was to have Lalli doing just that, haha! I've never waltzed before, but your analogy is quite accurate to what I'm trying to evoke.

*SQUEALS* I have nothing new to say, but I love it!! And the color scheme is spot-on!

Thanks! Sorry for your lack of Photoshop though...

Damn...

^_^

Almond-Goddess that is AWESOME!

you should really post a link on the comments to give more people a chance to see this!

/L

Yay, this was the little push I needed to do just that! I was a bit hesitant to post in the comments section since it seems no one else has done it before, but I suppose now that it wouldn't hurt to!
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
Lalli's dream sequence and encounter with the enigmatic "Braidy" inspired me to contribute a piece in this museum. I imagined Braidy teaching him how to walk on water, and wanted to illustrate it! It was greatly inspired by the sky strolling sequence from Howl's Moving Castle, which I heavily referenced in this piece.

Yes, I ship them! <3

So pretty *A* I think you did a great job emulating the style. Plus, they're just really cute, lol.

I faved it on dA earlier today as I quickly hopped on to check my inbox.
Fluent::usa: 
Intermediate but rusty::germany:
Learning: 
Should know but doesn't::brazil:

:chap4::chap5::chap6::chap7:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2014, 12:40:06 AM »
Yay, this was the little push I needed to do just that! I was a bit hesitant to post in the comments section since it seems no one else has done it before, but I suppose now that it wouldn't hurt to!

As one of the forum's most active archivists, let me say that we wouldn't necessarily encourage every single post's author to double-post it to the SSSS comments section. 

But you get an exemption with two scoops and sprinkles! 
1) You're new -- yay!  and 2) That is truly awesome art -- yay!  3) We want to encourage the larger population of Disqus comments-section posters to join us on the Fan-Forum. 

Keep doing cool stuff!

- Sunflower
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Pandy

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »
Ah, hi. S-so I've been really super behind on SSSS and i just caught up today because a friend was like "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS PAGE" and I idled off in WoW to catch up...

Anyway, back in August I posed a picture of Lalli on tumblr and thought I should share here. :D

I'm tempted to draw some more... ^^' Even though this fandom is small, it seems really talented!!

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »

There are tons of alternatives to Photoshop, you know. Photoshop is not the "best of the best" for artists. It's just widely used because it was the only good option for a very long time. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good program, but it does have its faults, and there ARE other good programs out there.

Personally, I'm fond of the CELSYS programs. Brilliant lineart capabilities, something I found lacking in Photoshop, myself. Large variety of brushes, and much nicer control than what I found in Photoshop. Plus the interfaces are much easier to follow. They're also geared towards creating manga and anime, so for comic artists they're very nice indeed. Minna uses one of their programs to draw SSSS in - what's known as Clip Studio Paint, or Manga Studio. It's also quite cheap for an art program. Sadly, you missed the huge sale they had a few weeks ago - $15 for Clip Studio Paint pro. It's around $50 now.

Usually I'd also recommend Paint Tool SAI, but I'm not certain how that program stands right now. The old version is abandonware (so no bug support), and I do not know if the new program is out in English yet. Earlier this year there was a Japanese demo release of it, so it shouldn't be too long, but ... yeah, not sure.

Now for the "I can't give out any money no matter how little" options (I'm in this section, hahaaaa...) : Krita is another program that's quite good - plus opensource. Krita is the one I'm currently using. I've found it can do all of what Photoshop can. As far as I'm aware, custom (royalty-free, of course) Photoshop brushes can be used in Krita, and it's just a nice program overall. MyPaint is also a really nice program, especially for textures. Also opensource. Though you'll hear it mentioned often, I would NOT recommend GIMP if your main use for it is illustration - hard to get used to, plus I've had many many hours of frustration due to issues with tablet pressure.

And lastly I'll echo the age-old saying - it's the artist that makes the tool, not the tool that makes the artist.

Ah, hi. S-so I've been really super behind on SSSS and i just caught up today because a friend was like "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS PAGE" and I idled off in WoW to catch up...

Anyway, back in August I posed a picture of Lalli on tumblr and thought I should share here. :D

I'm tempted to draw some more... ^^' Even though this fandom is small, it seems really talented!!

Hey, welcome!~ Lalli-cat looks great here :D Please do draw more! Also, lucky thing, having so much new content to go through in one go ;D
Am notified of private messages via email.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2014, 01:56:15 AM »
Hi guys! I posted a question a few pages back, figured it out, and have been lurking for a few more days, but no more!
Ever since I first saw this fan forum, I have been thinking of posting, and I have some stuff that has been burning a hole in my sketch-book for some time.
And now that I have gotten them all cleaned up, I'm going to post it here!

Sailor Lalli and the Silent Scouts
*confetti and streamers*

They aren't colored for now, only line arts, I plan on getting around to it sometime.

This 1st one is of the ever mysterious and unnamed kitty that will be joining our band of merry adventurers.
She has Luna's iconic crescent moon on her face :3
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:19:29 AM by TrinkaSten »
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2014, 02:12:23 AM »

I wanted to reflect Mina's style when I drew their faces so that they would look truly to-character, but the bodies were more of my-style of drawing(with the simplicity of the 90s Sailor Moon for line-work).

1st up in our list of humans in the only actual scout of the team, Lalli! He was the inspiration for starting this whole drawing-campaign, and I've had a grand time along the way!

Lalli has been the most magical of the whole crew, so I expect more Sailor Lalli art might be following really soon. I don't know why it gives me so much pleasure drawing him in clothes you would never be able to shove him into (much like a cat at Halloween).
But it was fun drawing Lalli in such ridiculous, out-of character garb, I have to admit  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:48:02 AM by TrinkaSten »
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2014, 02:23:02 AM »

Here is our lovely-little-lady, Tuuri!
I imagine that of all the members of the group, she might be the only one who might actually be up to dressing up in these silly clothes. Her enthusiasm makes me so happy!  ;D

I hope I captured her adorable-plumpness as well an Mina has, because she is a plus-size girl and a cutie to boot!

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2014, 02:33:39 AM »

Oh, Emil.  ::)

It felt so wrong, but so right drawing him in drag. Somehow his immense ego and sparkly hair make it seem alright. And he is just so pretty, he could look good in anything!   ;D
I tried to make him look thicker than Lalli, with more defined muscles, as he is in the military and all.

Just look at that smile!  :D

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:07 AM »

SIIIIGGGRRUUUNNN!!!!
We've only just met her, and already I love her. Her overconfidence and gung-ho attitude might get them all in trouble someday, but I feel that she has the know-how to get them out of it!  8)

I wanted to portray her feisty attitude, because even though she's in a skirt, you know she can get some serious butt-kicking done! As far as body-type goes, I went for the athletic look of a kick-boxer, with their all-around toned physique.

Being a woman, she was the easiest to convert from the Sailor Moon style; I felt semi-normal drawing her!  :D

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »
You. Are. BRILLIANT.

*can't stop laughing*

Mikkel. Please tell me you did Mikkel, too.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2014, 03:07:14 AM »
You. Are. BRILLIANT.

*can't stop laughing*

Mikkel. Please tell me you did Mikkel, too.

Oh yes. Yes I did. *shudder*