Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484083 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #4620 on: June 26, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »

I had a lot of trouble picturing Lalli with kids of his own, it just didn't... seem right, you know? And then, with a little introspection I discovered that, in my headcanon, Lalli just doesn't have kids. Lalli can't handle kids (at least not in this phase of his life). Stop.

Then, I couldn't help imagining him visiting his nephews... a total derp!
"Tuuriiii!!!! What am I supposed to do with him??!??!"
"Ugh, just hand him to Onni!"

Onni, in the other hand, is a wonderful uncle and adores his nephews ^^ Lalli loves them too, but doesn't know what to do hehe

Oh, and Starfallz, those are some seriously great watercolors <3 <3 <3

I love your crew-as-parents pictures SO. MUCH.  Especially Tuuri (who looks to still have a bit of a post-partum belly) with two adorable flaxen-haired babies.  But I'm hard-put to think who's good enough for Our Little Tuuri to settle down with! 

One question -- you refer to Tuuri's two children as Lalli's and Onni's "nephews," although the bigger one looks like a girl to me.  Am I just being overly dependent on outdated gender stereotypes to assume the toddler in pink is a girl? 

Or is "nephews" a translation error?  English doesn't have a non-gender-specific term for your sibling's children (parallel to "cousins"), so we have to say "nephews and nieces.
(Also, to get really picky and pedantic, Lalli and Tuuri's children are "first cousins once removed" to each other, but that's only for genealogy fusses like me.  But in everyday usage, it's fine to consider them "uncle/aunt" and "niece/nephew" to each other.  I am Auntie Sunflower to my cousins' children.)

This particular portrait of Lalli reminds me of a picture Washington Post columnist Alexandra Petri posted on Twitter for Father's Day -- and yes, the brown stuff under her father's right hand is exactly what you think it is.
https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/612687506660827137

P.S.  Will there be a picture of Onni as a father?  Because he'd be the biggest helicopter parent there ever was.  He will wrap up his children VERY protectively. 
[youtube width=500]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4IZ0Flh3M[/youtube]
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #4621 on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:50 PM »
8) That's one. Two more, and I insist that you change your avatar signature as well.
(FIRST THING I THOUGHT when I saw the new page.)

Haha, I doubt there will be more, but deal. :P

starfallz: These are some pretty watercolors! I really like them! Mikkel looks fierce.

Antillanka: !!!!!!!!! I already died of cuteness because of this series, you know. And the Lalli is just PERFECT in every way. And I feel so honored of ponytail!Lalli gaining space in your drawings!! *-*

Sumeri: The Great Ruler of Hair strikes again, and it is majestic!

I love your crew-as-parents pictures SO. MUCH.  Especially Tuuri (who looks to still have a bit of a post-partum belly) with two adorable flaxen-haired babies.  But I'm hard-put to think who's good enough for Our Little Tuuri to settle down with!

*whispers* Reynir
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

BarbaryLion22

« Reply #4622 on: June 26, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
One question -- you refer to Tuuri's two children as Lalli's and Onni's "nephews," although the bigger one looks like a girl to me.  Am I just being overly dependent on outdated gender stereotypes to assume the toddler in pink is a girl? 

Or is "nephews" a translation error?  English doesn't have a non-gender-specific term for your sibling's children (parallel to "cousins"), so we have to say "nephews and nieces.
(Also, to get really picky and pedantic, Lalli and Tuuri's children are "first cousins once removed" to each other, but that's only for genealogy fusses like me.  But in everyday usage, it's fine to consider them "uncle/aunt" and "niece/nephew" to each other.  I am Auntie Sunflower to my cousins' children.)

I believe that the latest term is "niblings," but I don't know where that came from or even if it's a popular term or what.
Also, my family is so large that we interchangeably use "cousin," or "aunty/uncle." I agree that Aunty/Uncle is easier for everyday usage, more so than the five-minute explanation of how exactly I'm related to that random person, which many of my friends can't/won't understand.
fluent :usa:
Decent :japan:
some :spain: hawaiian
barely at all :italy: :germany: :france:
Have Survived :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #4623 on: June 26, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »

HAHAHA that videooooo!!

Yes, it is a translation mistake, (sorry for my ignorance, I thought the plural for nephews+nieces was nephews, just as in Spanish), because Tuuri's eldest is a girl ^^ And since I practically consider Lalli a brother to Onni and Tuuri, in my headcanon Tuuri's children will always call him "uncle" and not "first cousin once removed" (in Spanish it would be something like "uncle in second grade" haha, horrid!). I think it will be a dorky relationship, at least during the kids childhood... when they reach teen age... who knows?

I'd like to know what you think about Onni's love life/possibility to form a family, my headcanon in empty on that matter and I'd LOVE to fill it. Is there any note about that in the headcanon thread that I could've missed?

*whispers* Reynir

*whispers* Oh my goodness!!! *.*
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:18:30 PM by Antillanka »
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

indui

• most best
« Reply #4624 on: June 26, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
AH
h-hi I'm kind of new but I want to join the forum party because I need more ssss in my life it is completely necessary

well here's an old sketch but I reallyyyy want to draw a cool finished sigrun some day CUZ SHE'S AWESOME

brb as I look through all these other pages of ssss art *drools*
Someday I'll be able to make fanart worthy of how much I love these characters C:[deviantart] [tumblr]

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4625 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:57 PM »
AH
h-hi I'm kind of new but I want to join the forum party because I need more ssss in my life it is completely necessary

well here's an old sketch but I reallyyyy want to draw a cool finished sigrun some day CUZ SHE'S AWESOME

Welcome to the art thread!! That expression on Sigrun is so great and your drawing style looks cool :)
(P.S. that is a very valid reason to join the forum party)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

indui

• most best
« Reply #4626 on: June 26, 2015, 11:34:51 PM »
Welcome to the art thread!! That expression on Sigrun is so great and your drawing style looks cool :)
(P.S. that is a very valid reason to join the forum party)
Naw shucks thank you!

and oh gosh ikr. I mentioned in a comment on one of the ssss pages how the comic is lowkey consuming my life and they suggested I join the forums :B
now it can consume my life even more...........
Someday I'll be able to make fanart worthy of how much I love these characters C:[deviantart] [tumblr]

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4627 on: June 26, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
now it can consume my life even more...........

Why else are we here? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #4628 on: June 26, 2015, 11:46:58 PM »
AH

Let me say WELCOME TO THE FORUM & FREAKIN' AWESOME SIGGY!

(good luck on the page surfing, haha, when I did it, it took me almost four days, and there were like 80 less than now)
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

indui

• most best
« Reply #4629 on: June 26, 2015, 11:52:03 PM »
Let me say WELCOME TO THE FORUM & FREAKIN' AWESOME SIGGY!

(good luck on the page surfing, haha, when I did it, it took me almost four days, and there were like 80 less than now)

HAHAHAH TY! never heard of that nickname but melikes imma use it from now on :D

oh gosh welp better get my hiking gear on cuz i'm going through it all

indui

• most best
« Reply #4630 on: June 26, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »
Why else are we here? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*internal conflicted screaming*

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #4631 on: June 26, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
AH

oh my god..oh my gOD..oh my god...breathes rly heavily........i love!! your art style!!! so much, oh my dear lord, i cant wait to see more of your art!!!!
also, hello, and welcome to the forum!! i hope you have a grand old time here!!

indui

• most best
« Reply #4632 on: June 27, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »
oh my god..oh my gOD..oh my god...breathes rly heavily........i love!! your art style!!! so much, oh my dear lord, i cant wait to see more of your art!!!!
also, hello, and welcome to the forum!! i hope you have a grand old time here!!

*clutches chest* HnNNNNN OH GOSH THANK YOU.....OHWWOW..... admittedly minna has been a big inspiration lately! C: in style and work ethic.

I HOPE I DO TOO I already like everybody ;___; can't believe I waited this long to get sucked too deep get more involved in the community!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4633 on: June 27, 2015, 03:11:40 AM »
I was actually thinking of you when I decided his future in my headcanon ^^
this makes me so happy

look at all that glorious glorious haiirrrrr

ooooooooh gosh ohhh gosh what a beautiful sigrun, I love your lines and style and the expression and oh. gosh. a perfect sigrun. I humbly welcome you to the forum, the art thread, and gooood luck on trawling through this thread hahahaha ha
you'll know where to find me.

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #4634 on: June 27, 2015, 04:01:26 AM »

Speaking of this, I have to do a throwback to the first couple of pages of the museum with this:

Reynir-in-a-box! Page 25.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*