Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484241 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #3180 on: May 17, 2015, 12:41:44 AM »
Quote from: curiosity link=topic=35.msg34796#msg34796
And I was honestly going to end with that, but my hand slipped. So here you go, another mermaid. A certain charming Finnish mermaid, gods forgive me.

... I think that may be the first fanart we ever had of Onni o________o
But yes, I also want to poke his tummy <3
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:13:46 AM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3181 on: May 17, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »
And I was honestly going to end with that, but my hand slipped. So here you go, another mermaid. A certain charming Finnish mermaid, gods forgive me.
Spoiler: show

YOU WANT ME DEAD [of laughter], DON'T YOU?!?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Baku

• Hot Dad Squad
« Reply #3182 on: May 17, 2015, 02:01:50 AM »
I caved in.

Merhotakainens + crab friend.
native: :usa: / learning: :germany: / some day: :denmark:
art tumblr/ flight rising/ disqus - :chap6: :chap7:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #3183 on: May 17, 2015, 02:10:22 AM »
I caved in.

Merhotakainens + crab friend.
OH MY GOD.
I HAVE NO WORDS.
NONE
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3184 on: May 17, 2015, 02:55:42 AM »
Yes, I do follow the art thread, but don't contribute because I cannot draw. Art is a superpower which I do not possess, just stare at in amazement (very embarrassing for someone who is the daughter of one artist and the parent and grandparent of others, but still.....). However, the reason I'm posting is the discussion about female artists existing and being ignored outside certain fields. Oddly enough, it has always been acceptable for women to produce botanical art (no interaction with people so not shocking, I guess). But in most other art fields, yes, women have been given a hard time, not permitted to display their stuff, had to exhibit under a male name etc. Artemisia Gentileschi was a notable exception. I get the impression of her as a person who was just so bloody-minded stubborn that there was no way to stop her.
Same thing in literature, even today, much worse for the last two centuries. Even in the 1950s, when I as a teenager started having my poetry published, one did much better as a male pseudonym! Wasn't just the content or skill level either: I've had the experience of sending a piece under my own name to a magazine, having it rejected as 'too feminine', resubmitting it six months later under a male pseudonym and having it joyfully accepted as 'sensitive and insightful'. Not just once but many times. Weird!
Even in the 1990s I've known female painters who had to do the same with art. I guess in art as in writing, we just have to keep making what we make, and trying to make people aware.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3185 on: May 17, 2015, 03:00:53 AM »
Sorry, I was trying to put this in the part of the thread where Haiz and Solovei were talking about this stuff a few pages back, but missed!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3186 on: May 17, 2015, 03:11:55 AM »
SUCH BEAUTIFUL THINGS HAVE HAPPENED IN THIS THREAD
we are making ssss fanart history as we speak

Am I hearing this all as a sign that Tuuri in a crop-top should be my next fanart piece? I think I am.
Yesssssss
oh gosh, this is making me want to draw more of my high school au... which not only has Tuuri in rad outfits but chubby hipster emil and reynir in dresses and. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS TODAY ;_;

Sumeri: aaAaAh SUCH BEAUTIFUL HAIR SWOOSHES. like oh my gosh i really really love how you did the Sigrun, not only her hairrrr but also her eyes, oh gosh oh gosh

RandomTexanReader: yes good

curiosity: YOU ARE A WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING AND I LOVE YOU. No but seriously, it makes perfectly sense for nordic mermaids to be chubby, you know like seals? They need those extra layers of fat to survive.
Sebastian!Trond is glorious though.

Solovei: we've had... a queen elsa!Onni by mad robin before, and I did a super quick sketch of american gothic!hotakainens once, too. I think there's more, but yeahhh there's precious little art of onni here

Baku: THAT IS SO CUTE YOUR STYLE IS SO CUTE and omg curious mermaid tuuri makes so much sense and. GOSH im loving this mermaid trend
(tHE LALLI sdkbds)

Róisín: YEP yep and yeeep. I'm not gonna start another lecture, but let's just say it's kind of amazing how drawing/being an artist is seen as an unmanly hobby/profession, when it's one women have been left out of for the majority of western art history and still, today, the art field is hugely male-dominated. ANd that's just looking at gender, if we start thinking about race and how incredibly western the whole thing is, you've got like five another layers and--
my professors did actually start the last semester with acknowledging that art history as a subject is full of straight white men and it shows.
(even if my first semester could be summed up as "everyone was gay, the end")
you'll know where to find me.

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #3187 on: May 17, 2015, 03:14:02 AM »
Headcanon that Mikkel is the oldest of like twelve kids and his nephews and nieces love it when he's fired because then he'll come home and be the coolest uncle ever.
And while I think that we can all agree that Lalli in oversized sweaters is very important, we cannot neglect why those sweaters are so big on the skinny twerp.
Finally, I've been thinking a lot about how the solution to a Lalli tantrum is just to pick the dork up and carry him where he doesn't want to go. I am very unhappy with the execution of this one, but the point still stands.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:18:41 AM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3188 on: May 17, 2015, 03:24:18 AM »
So many glorious mermen and merTuuri! Curiosity, merOnni made me laugh out loud, and chuckle whenever I think of him.
RandomTexanReader: great points and great execution, that should surely be canon!

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #3189 on: May 17, 2015, 03:37:42 AM »
But... I think we've forgotten yet another Dane who could make a fine little mermaid, don't you think?
So meet him - mermaidmiral Olsen! Prepare your trusted eye bleach in advance. No, seriously.

I'm starting to think nobody in this thread should ever be allowed near art supplies again, for the sake of mental health and NOT DYING OF LAUGHTER all around.

*rolls out cart of art supplies*

Line up, fellow citizens, we have havoc to be wreaking.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #3190 on: May 17, 2015, 03:43:04 AM »
Oh my Lord
OH. MY. LORD.
TOO MANY MERMENS AND MERMAIDS
This is so awesome ;v;
And I love the Mermen!Onni a Lot!
I have no Words omg
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #3191 on: May 17, 2015, 04:39:58 AM »
A bit late to the party but I had to, since MerMikkel is the absolute best thing that's happened to this thread since I've been watching. I have no words for how much I like everyone's contribution to this (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3192 on: May 17, 2015, 04:44:42 AM »
A bit late to the party but I had to, since MerMikkel is the absolute best thing that's happened to this thread since I've been watching. I have no words for how much I like everyone's contribution to this (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

tHIS IS AMAZING. the pot, the candles, the string of dvds,,, the tail
the mermikkels went from quick sketches to very quality arts with backgrounds and everything. it might very well be the most best thing that has happened to this thread

RandomTexanReader: YEssss those are some VERY GOOD AND VERY PLAUSIBLE SCENARIOS. I like Lalli's Slump of Defeat in the last one ahahah
lalli in oversized sweathers is actually an important plot point in my high school au
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3193 on: May 17, 2015, 04:49:04 AM »
But... I think we've forgotten yet another Dane who could make a fine little mermaid, don't you think?
So meet him - mermaidmiral Olsen! Prepare your trusted eye bleach in advance. No, seriously.

*Dries tears* Merman admiral Olsen and company is a golden nugget royale. This merman hype thingie brings out fan art of the most neglected characters and it's great.

P__

« Reply #3194 on: May 17, 2015, 04:50:21 AM »
all the yesses to all of you!
*throws cookies like confetti*
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: