Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484177 times)

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #3120 on: May 16, 2015, 02:14:49 AM »
Lordy Lou, I love you all.

I just scrolled through 60 pages of awesome and now I just want to draw all the things!  Seriously, I just... I don't even know.
I want to address all of your works individually, but that would take a decade, so here's a blanket compliment for you all:

YOU ARE ALL AMAZING ARTISTS, ALL OF YOU. IF YOU THINK YOU AREN'T, YOU ARE DELUSIONAL. (but I'll still love you anyway)

That is all. Carry on. You'll hear from me again in probably another 50 pages. :p

Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3121 on: May 16, 2015, 02:44:18 AM »

--> Is there something off about the placement of the main figure's ear?  To me, it looks set oddly far back from her eye (I say, feeling around to figure out how many finger-widths my own left ear is set behind my eye). 
(Not to mention that weirdly twisted posture, in which she's going to strain her neck as well as drop her music on the floor, but I guess that's just typical Italian Mannerist twistiness. 

The distance is right. I know a lot of artists (including me) who tend to put ears too close to the face, so maybe we all underestimate this distance for some reason. I can fit my entire palm between the corner of my eye and my ear, that's quite a lot of space. The pose also seems realistic (in that it's possible to twist your body that way) but of course she's just posing with the lute, not actually playing it.

As for the St. Cecilia painting, let me explain the artist's intentions:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3122 on: May 16, 2015, 02:44:47 AM »
GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB! KAMIGRUN APPROVES OF THIS MESSAGE!

No seriously though, thanks guys for all the compliments, I love you all so much
*blanket high fives to you all*
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3123 on: May 16, 2015, 03:04:42 AM »
The distance is right. I know a lot of artists (including me) who tend to put ears too close to the face, so maybe we all underestimate this distance for some reason. I can fit my entire palm between the corner of my eye and my ear, that's quite a lot of space. The pose also seems realistic (in that it's possible to twist your body that way) but of course she's just posing with the lute, not actually playing it.
Thanks, I always wondered about that!

As for the St. Cecilia painting, let me explain the artist's intentions:

The profundity of your analysis literally made me weep.  I'm not sure an Italian Renaissance painting has ever made me laugh so hard. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3124 on: May 16, 2015, 03:17:47 AM »
Starfallz, I completely agree that Mikkel needs some love. Maybe a television interview?

RTR, your prediction was right.  As we see on p. 320, Reynir DOES yell in Icelandic-accented ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ's.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #3125 on: May 16, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »
Don't feel bad about that! You're really young and probably haven't had art history at school yet (if you ever will?), I've gone to art school AND I'm kinda currently studying art history at university. (AND i might fail a test about it too, because i spend all my time on this forum instead of reading for exams) ((don't worry I actually read some today *confetti*))

Actually the problem is that we have in our art books information of some artist and we don't study them and I'm like "Oi! We have information here! Why we don't read it instead of make a page every 5 minutes?!" and that's what I think every friday hahah
And Haiz you should study more for exams instead of beiging here! At least One day! Maybe I'm younger but I have some problems studying because I get stressed and I get calm when I read it at least 2 times (I spend 1 hour studying when I have an exam)

Fimbulwaffle and Solovei had the most best idea ever creating
KAMIGRUN!!!!
a while ago on the edits thread, and I laughed and cried way back when.
I started watching that show again, and now I can't not see our most glorious
captain whenever Kamina speaks. THEY ARE SOUL MATES.

And so fan art had to happen.
Spent waaay longer on this than I should have...

I present Kamigrun, piercing the Silent World with her awesomeness!

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

BELIEVE IN THE ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!

OH MY LORD
HECK YES
WHY I CAN'T HAVE YOUR AWESOMENESS -cries in the corner-
*.*

Okay so like I drew this thing long time ago (Forgot when I finished it):

Everything's in pen except for the sign and black and blue hatches on the left, colored pencil.

This is so cool! o.o!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:29:42 AM by RealRedCloudYT »
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3126 on: May 16, 2015, 04:16:47 AM »
--> Is there something off about the placement of the main figure's ear?  To me, it looks set oddly far back from her eye (I say, feeling around to figure out how many finger-widths my own left ear is set behind my eye). 
It looks maybe a teensy bit oddly placed, but not really? And.... if it's manierism, then of course. of course the neck's all twisted

OOOOOOOOOOh I reallyreally like this!! The background is amazing, and I love the way you did the braid!!
If I had read through my modernisms yesterday I'd be coming with another batch of art history parallells, but you're off the hook for now hahahaha

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

BELIEVE IN THE ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!
ahahaha yesSSSSs
perfect
if you're not careful we're all gonna suffer from sheer awesomeness overload
(but does Kamigrun believe in me reading books though. does she really)

To be fair, I've had stronger feelings for some digital drawings than I have for actual physical people.
doesn't even have to be digital in my case

thank you for making this

Actually the problem is that we have in our art books information of some artist and we don't study them and I'm like "Oi! We have information here! Why we don't read it instead of make a page every 5 minutes?!" and that's what I think every friday hahah
And Haiz you should study more for exams instead of beiging here! At least One day! Maybe I'm younger but I have some problems studying because I get stressed and I get calm when I read it at least 2 times (I spend 1 hour studying when I have an exam)
Ugh, that kinda sucks. But yeah, I didn't recognize almost any iconic paintings except for Mona Lisa or The Scream until, like, 10th grade or something either,, and I don't really like the elitist way of thinking that everyone SHOULD know this and that. If you have an interest in it, you'll absorb that knowledge eventually anyway.
And I'm gonna study I promise!! My problem is that I'm too confident in my own abilities but I've hardly read anything all semester. WOOPS. But I've attended every lecture so I'm READY TO FIGHT
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3127 on: May 16, 2015, 04:56:19 AM »

Double watercolours!? Blessed day *worships religiously*!

I agree with the contrast here between expectation and reality. The first one made me think of Sigrun as some kind of patron saint being summoned to trounce the legions of Mordor :P.

KamiSigrun is back!! Take my money, take all of it!!

I've been waiting for a chance to draw this for so long because the world needs it and now you've given it to us! Blessed day!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #3128 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:39 AM »
Silenter: wow, I love the effect you got there! The braid looks so three dimensional and fluffy...  :-*

Trinka: OH MY BOB WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF TH- oh. Solo and Fimby I'm not even surprised. But man, that IS beautiful and TTGL will never be the same again...  ;D

anionion: this picture edit is very appropriate and wonderful, and also so much yes.

Sunflower: it makes it even funnier that á is pronounced like "ow" in English, and RTR's Reynir is literally screaming "owowowowieeeee" which is exactly what I would scream if my hair was on fire.

Fimby: DO IT. DOOO EEEEEET.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

P__

« Reply #3129 on: May 16, 2015, 10:51:07 AM »
you know the art is good when there's 4 pieces (plus many classic references) in four pages

Anonion: ASDFANGAÇADSRANERGHGKG!
Laufey: <3
Sil: *.*
Trinka: WOOHOO! YEAH!
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #3130 on: May 16, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
I apologize for posting a slightly off-topic question, but it is at least related to Artemisia Gentileschi, and maybe you drawing-types can explain something for me.
I just wanted to say that one time I stumbled onto her Wikipedia page and before that I had no idea there even WERE female artists in that century and I felt kind of guilty but also really proud. Like, you go girl!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3131 on: May 16, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »
I just wanted to say that one time I stumbled onto her Wikipedia page and before that I had no idea there even WERE female artists in that century and I felt kind of guilty but also really proud. Like, you go girl!
There WERE more female artists at that time, but Artemisia is the most known one (and for good reason). I....... can say a lot on this topic and I'm sorry for being slightly off-topic but
Spoiler: show

- most female artists around that time were Dutch, because the Dutch Republic in the 1600ds was a really good place for artists, and if you were good enough it didn't matter what gender you were. Some names include Judith Leyster, Rachel Ryusch and Clara Peeters.

- The reason they were never as well known as Artemisia is because they mostly painted still life and portraits, and Artemisia painted "historical paintings" which were on top on the food chain of arts

- And even then, Artemisia didn't have it easy as an artist, either, she was often cheated and/or paid less, and people would accuse her of getting help from her father painting stuff, etc etc

- The reason women didn't become artists was because they weren't allowed access to the academies, because oh noo a woman can't look at nude models now can she + a bunch of other dumb reasons. Male artists and critics went around all "blah blah geniuses are BORN with genius in them, and women clearly aren't" when men could utilize their 'genius', women never got the chance to

- and that's just seeing it from the "women can be as good as men" perspective, women DID make a lot of art all the time throughout western art history, except a lot of it was weaving and tapestries and other things that have been ignored (+ seen as unimportant because men didn't do these things) until recently, when feminists started to dig up on what women in art history have actually achieved

- and yeah it's easy to feel guilty about not knowing about female artists, but honestly it's hard to find them because they've been ignored for so long and you have to make an actual effort to find them.
Back in high school we got an art history assignment to write about various artists of our choice, and I went out of my way to write about female artists and my classmate was all "um does it REALLY MATTER" and i quietly fumed in response because it SHOULDN'T matter, but how else are we going to fight this systematic ignorance of female artists

im not gonna give you a full retelling of feminist art history, but LONG STORY SHORT the internet is probably the best thing that has happened to female artists because now teenage girls can get acknowledgement and fame for their art and I think it's beautiful

EDIT: put in a spoiler because WOOPS I'M REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR TOPIC
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:36:26 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #3132 on: May 16, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »
There WERE more female artists at that time, but Artemisia is the most known one (and for good reason). I....... can say a lot on this topic and I'm sorry for being slightly off-topic but

- most female artists around that time were Dutch, because the Dutch Republic in the 1600ds was a really good place for artists, and if you were good enough it didn't matter what gender you were. Some names include Judith Leyster, Rachel Ryusch and Clara Peeters.

- The reason they were never as well known as Artemisia is because they mostly painted still life and portraits, and Artemisia painted "historical paintings" which were on top on the food chain of arts

- And even then, Artemisia didn't have it easy as an artist, either, she was often cheated and/or paid less, and people would accuse her of getting help from her father painting stuff, etc etc

- The reason women didn't become artists was because they weren't allowed access to the academies, because oh noo a woman can't look at nude models now can she + a bunch of other dumb reasons. Male artists and critics went around all "blah blah geniuses are BORN with genius in them, and women clearly aren't" when men could utilize their 'genius', women never got the chance to

- and that's just seeing it from the "women can be as good as men" perspective, women DID make a lot of art all the time throughout western art history, except a lot of it was weaving and tapestries and other things that have been ignored (+ seen as unimportant because men didn't do these things) until recently, when feminists started to dig up on what women in art history have actually achieved

- and yeah it's easy to feel guilty about not knowing about female artists, but honestly it's hard to find them because they've been ignored for so long and you have to make an actual effort to find them.
Back in high school we got an art history assignment to write about various artists of our choice, and I went out of my way to write about female artists and my classmate was all "um does it REALLY MATTER" and i quietly fumed in response because it SHOULDN'T matter, but how else are we going to fight this systematic ignorance of female artists

im not gonna give you a full retelling of feminist art history, but LONG STORY SHORT the internet is probably the best thing that has happened to female artists because now teenage girls can get acknowledgement and fame for their art and I think it's beautiful

EDIT: put in a spoiler because WOOPS I'M REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR TOPIC

Tell it like it is! I thoroughly get that part about the fellow students totally not getting it. The ones I went to school with were a self absorbed lot too. There is a historical novel about Artemisia that is very good. Artemisia: A Novel by Alexandra Lapierre. I enjoyed it very much.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #3133 on: May 16, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »
I... I kind of spent an hour drawing this and I think there's enough detail to put it here?

The prompt was Reynir little mermaid or something and I was immediately like "I CAN DO THAT" 8)
people looking pretty is my jam, if you guys haven't noticed :___)

I'll pull a Rabbit and put the progress pics under a spoiler

YEET

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #3134 on: May 16, 2015, 01:19:33 PM »

Ahhh yes of course! I feel like a lot of those apply to female authors too... And also like, can you imagine how many of those "Anonymous" poems or paintings were made by women, too? Probably a lot!  (I too could talk about this for hours, maybe not art necessarily since I know almost nothing except comics, but women's literature for sure)

Sorry to KEEP GOING OFF TOPIC but I was in Tate Modern in London about a month ago and I took this picture of a print from their giftshop: (spoiler tagged so as not to take up the entire thread XD)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:21:17 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia: