Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2483628 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #3090 on: May 15, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »
Edit: and as for "too random", I drew Reynir as Botticelli's Venus at some point

THAT WAS YOU? Wait when did this happen? I remember seeing this pic and going lululawesome at it - did you post it here or did I just accidentally tumblr-run into you before I even got on the forum?

Uh, I can't contribute anything proper but I did paint Sigrun as a magical girl.

Because for most of my life this is how female fighters have always been portrayed. They're pretty - flawlessly so - and a few run-ins with baddies aren't going to do anything worse than maybe break a nail. Seeing them fight makes you really stretch your imagination just to, eh, believe those moves can be effective against anything worse than a paper bag and blood just doesn't leave stains on their clothes.

And then there's the real Sigrun who pretty much...

...shows how it's done.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #3091 on: May 15, 2015, 05:32:52 PM »
THAT WAS YOU? Wait when did this happen? I remember seeing this pic and going lululawesome at it - did you post it here or did I just accidentally tumblr-run into you before I even got on the forum?

Uh, I can't contribute anything proper but I did paint Sigrun as a magical girl.

Because for most of my life this is how female fighters have always been portrayed. They're pretty - flawlessly so - and a few run-ins with baddies aren't going to do anything worse than maybe break a nail. Seeing them fight makes you really stretch your imagination just to, eh, believe those moves can be effective against anything worse than a paper bag and blood just doesn't leave stains on their clothes.

...shows how it's done.

These are both very proper.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #3092 on: May 15, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »

...shows how it's done.

Ah. Revolutionary Girl Sigrun.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #3093 on: May 15, 2015, 05:37:08 PM »

...shows how it's done.

Wow those are so awesome! I Really like the first pic. Somehow I can imagine it animated (I can see things that anyone can't. I scare myself sometimes)
Also, I'm  listening to a song that can fit with the second pic. (*cough*Eminem-LikeToySoldiers*cough*)
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3094 on: May 15, 2015, 05:37:35 PM »
Edit: and as for "too random", I drew Reynir as Botticelli's Venus at some point
Haha, I hadn't seen this! It's fabulous and almost perfect, except... a bit too many clothes. I'm almost tempted to draw my own version :)

That actually works better for me than it has any right to. It has a nice Lady Oscar vibe to it. Is it wrong to like both badass realistic female warriors and magical girls and everything in between? Very nice watercolouring btw.

RealRedCloudYT - thank you! :)

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3095 on: May 15, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
RealRedCloudYT - thank you! :)

You're welcome!
     - Adam Young

prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3096 on: May 15, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »
IT WAS ME. your frendly neighbourhood art history student
I made it in the brief time between Reynir was introduced and before we knew his name, and I did post it on the forum, way back at
*deep breath* *dives into thread depths*
page 115
(you've actually been on the forum for slightly longer than I have.......)
((you actually commented on it. congrats))

ohHh YESSssss more watercloor sigruns yeesssssss
and while im in the art history geek zone I wanna point out MORE PARALLELLS, namely how most artists painted Judith slaying Holofernes - very pretty and distanced from the violence and gore (that, or a femme fatale). Then artemisia gentileschi just HAHA NAH WE'RE DOING THIS PROPERLY and the rest is history. literally

Haha, I hadn't seen this! It's fabulous and almost perfect, except... a bit too many clothes. I'm almost tempted to draw my own version :)
pffff, I'm not going beyond my comfort zone for that, I'll leave that to you. Besides, it was made back when he appeared in the crate, so I kept to canon garments. This particular piece of fanart is contextually a part of fandom reaction history
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:51:16 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #3097 on: May 15, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
I made a random!
(Someday I'm going to learn how to save art so that it shows up with accurate colors, but today's not that day)

WOW THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL AND I AM AT A LOSS FOR WORDS?? I'M JUST GOING TO. STARE AT THIS FOR ABOUT A MILLION YEARS WOWIE ZOWIE I REALLY LOVE THIS

...shows how it's done.

OIWEFIJOWEIJOWEIOWOIE TOO MANY BEAUTIFUL THINGS OF MY FAVES I'M JUST GOING TO LAY HERE AND THINK ABOUT THESE BEAUTIFUL DRAWINGS FOR A BIT

OKAY

okay

seriously both of you are so talented. give me some spare talent please
YEET

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3098 on: May 15, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »
IT WAS ME. your frendly neighbourhood art history student
I made it in the brief time between Reynir was introduced and before we knew his name, and I did post it on the forum, way back at
*deep breath* *dives into thread depths*
page 115

and while im in the art history geek zone I wanna point out MORE PARALLELS, namely how most artists painted Judith slaying Holofernes - very pretty and distanced from the violence and gore (that, or a femme fatale). Then artemisia gentileschi just HAHA NAH WE'RE DOING THIS PROPERLY and the rest is history. literally

For those of you who aren't art history geeks, here's a link to the painting:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Slaying_Holofernes_%28Artemisia_Gentileschi%29
(She modeled Holofernes on her former art teacher, who raped her and got off on a technicality.  Take THAT, patriarchy.)

I would very much like to see someone re-interpret the painting with Our Crew.  Tuuri would be adorable in the maid's bonnet, but it would probably be more appropriate on Emil. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3099 on: May 15, 2015, 05:56:27 PM »
For those of you who aren't art history geeks, here's a link to the painting:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Slaying_Holofernes_%28Artemisia_Gentileschi%29
(She modeled Holofernes on her former art teacher, who raped her and got off on a technicality.  Take THAT, patriarchy.)

Oh my gosh
I wasn't prepared to that and Also I just finished my dinner 5 minutes ago
I feel weird after looking at that o.o
     - Adam Young

prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3100 on: May 15, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »
I made a random!
(Someday I'm going to learn how to save art so that it shows up with accurate colors, but today's not that day)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Do more like this do more do more somoredomoredomore I need you!!!
Fluent:
OK:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3101 on: May 15, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »
Ah. Revolutionary Girl Sigrun.
Haha, I just flashed on that cheesy picture you see in lots of Mexican restaurants, of a Mexican Revolutionary Girl kind of falling out of her blouse.  That's.... not how Sigrun rolls. 

Maybe more a Chinese Communist vibe:

or starring in that notorious ballet, The Red Detachment of Women:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:16:11 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3102 on: May 15, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »

I would very much like to see someone re-interpret the painting with Our Crew.  Tuuri would be adorable in the maid's bonnet, but it would probably be more appropriate on Emil.
(pro tip for everyone: do not get me started on feminism in art history because I might very well start a very loud and lengthy lecture on that particular subject. You have been warned)

and yessssss re-interpreted paintings are the best....... I did some more sketches after my botticellied reynir, might as well link to them while I'm thread-diving
Tuuri Lisa
Finnish Gothic
Sigrun Leading the People
........ never got around to do one with Mikkel. the fanart ideas just kept piling up hahahaha

(Also I think Vafhudr was referring to the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena maybe)
you'll know where to find me.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #3103 on: May 15, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
Haha, I just flashed on that cheesy picture you see in lots of Mexican restaurants, of a Mexican Revolutionary Girl kind of falling out of her blouse.  That's.... not how Sigrun rolls.  Maybe more a Chinese Communist vibe:

or starring in that notorious ballet, The Red Detachment of Women:

Well. It has ballet. Sort of.

This is what I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRnm-769QLE

Allegorical sword fighting is involved.

Which in turn takes inspiration from the aforementioned Lady Oscar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TonLWOr9Bz0
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3104 on: May 15, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
I realized something
I know anything about Classic Art (classics like, for example, Mona lisa)
I mean, guys if you put me a test about this I'll fail because y'all know more and I should know it too 7~7
     - Adam Young

prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_