Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484017 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #2910 on: May 07, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
Piney, it looks as if Emil is hiding a tiny little hint of a smile under his collar.  Intentional, or no?  (Also, I like dirty Emil better, just because I know how he'd freak when he sees himself...)

Of course it is! (oh, I do hope other people could see it too...)
The reason I didn't like the second one as much was that I couldn't get the ash to look like how I wanted. Also I didn't think it would read well as an avatar, since they're shrunk so much.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #2911 on: May 07, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
Well, Redy is here with a new painting I just made because I don't want to study! Of course I'm going to study though

Well, here, a Reynir for all~

It's just a random background
just... don't ask (?)
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2912 on: May 07, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »

ahhh what a cool composition! I like the background, I applaud everyone who puts even an inch of effort into making one. But I must admit I'm very worried about Reynir's lack of a gasmask

edit: tiny criticism on the placement of stars....... the moon isn't actually C-shaped, and there can't be stars between the moon and the earth because we'd all be dead

Well that explains why the banks of issue in the world keep pondering switching to plastic banknotes ... ;)
I'm not good at keeping paper money for that long..... (anything worth less than 50 kroner is in coin)
NAPKINS ON THE OTHER HAND

(oh, I do hope other people could see it too...)
I did!!

also yeah I forgot to mention I went to art school, too - I mean, going to art school in itself doesn't suddenly make you a great artist, but you'll try many things and you work on things and yeah. And I've spent wayyy to many classes listening to my classmates complain about their own art, and it's honestly heartbreaking.

I mentioned it recently, but I'm mentioning it again:
due to the fact that I keep obsessively creating more fanart for this poor art-starved fandom (not too starved, but compared to some other fandoms......), I've improved a lot in a very short time. I sketched every day, sure, but I wasn't all that motivated to create Proper Art until I encountered this fandom - and the rest is history. I've been super motivated to create vast amounts of SSSS art ever since. On one hand, I'm struggling to make myself create non-SSSS art, but on the other hand, I think I'm making more art than ever before, so I suppose it balances out....

Anyway, contrast and compare my Improvement in the digital colouring department

I went from this:

to this:

so yeah keep making art!!!!!! don't be afraid to post it!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:47:22 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2913 on: May 07, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
also yeah I forgot to mention I went to art school, too - I mean, going to art school in itself doesn't suddenly make you a great artist, but you'll try many things and you work on things and yeah. And I've spent wayyy to many classes listening to my classmates complain about their own art, and it's honestly heartbreaking.

Yeah, what I meant was that art school is meant to foster your art skills and make you better and teach you new things (and I mean, you're forced to draw all the time), so you just improve quicker, probably, than someone who hasn't been "artistically trained". And like, even in art school people complain about how bad their art is and like... clearly it isn't!!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2914 on: May 07, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »

It is okay, it is more than ok!
Piney: yesssssssss good. t'is the season for icon changesdiscussion. In my eyes, ART IS ART IS ART. And I frickin love art. Please post your arts. If I ever happen to not comment on it properly, it is never because I think it's bad. If I were a ghost I would be hovering about all of your shoulders as you draw, maniacally whispering "yeeees. yeees. aRT. GOOD ART. MORE ART FOR THE CAUSE"...... okay maybe that's a little bit creepy but EITHER WAY my mission in this life is to consume as much SSSS-related content as physically possible, so please please please post art. You're embarassed? I've posted art I'm embarassed about, too. Don't let it stop you.

If I find out I have ever, somehow, intimidated someone into not posting their art, I'll never be truly able to forgive myself.
This. So very very much this. I know I am one of the more lazy commenters, but that doesn't mean I don't like it! But since I manically check the forum after I posted art because, well,  feedback is very very nice to get, here's for both you, huntra: It is more than ok. I like how you worked on coloring and poses.
@HarrisWilkens: Good job on the shadowing. Not a badly drawn Lalli at all! Post more, and keep drawing
@RealReadCloud: I think this one, and your sketch of Haiz, are very good. Reynir sitting on a cliff with a dead city in the background, realxed and thoughtful. Yess!
@Laufey: What a contemplative Sigrun, although miles from Hamlet still!
@Haiz, I've never tasted smalahove either, does that make mee too fail in Norwegian? (Never eaten lutefisk either, but yes I have tried rakfisk a couple of times, eugh unforgettable, and you can almost hide the taste if you bury it in all the goodies it is served with!

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #2915 on: May 07, 2015, 02:31:35 PM »
I just wanted to say how encouraging it is to see you guys talk about the development of your art for us newer artists ^_^ You've obviously worked hard and drawn lots to get as good as you are (and you guys are VERY good!), but it's also a nice reminder that drawing more will result in improvement regardless of your level, be that the development of beautiful Sigrun digital art (I honestly thought the first one was amazing when I saw it, and can hardly believe how much of an improvement there is!), Emil avatars (of the most best piney expressions), (I also think Curry recently posted something about the development of their art as well, but it was drowned in a sea of new posts), or picking up your watercolour pencils after five years after realising you wanted to draw, and well it may be a bit crummy, but the next picture will be better :)

Same as Unlos, I may not comment on every piece of art which gets posted, but I still love seeing it all >"< Everyone gets creative in such different ways, and it's really beautiful coming back after a few days to see pages of people's new creations!

Well, Redy is here with a new painting I just made because I don't want to study! Of course I'm going to study though

just... don't ask (?)

Go study Redy, Tuuri would want you to better your smarts! Ooooh, how about maybe you draw a picture of Tuuri to inspire you to study more? Yes, excellent idea - more pictures! Uh no, hang on, more study…. more pictures…study... what was I trying to say?
Reynir is looking so pensive here, the starts must be very clear now that there aren't any city lights around. It's a nice expression, and you've got a very lifelike pose there ^_^
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #2916 on: May 07, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
ahhh what a cool composition! I like the background, I applaud everyone who puts even an inch of effort into making one. But I must admit I'm very worried about Reynir's lack of a gasmask

edit: tiny criticism on the placement of stars....... the moon isn't actually C-shaped, and there can't be stars between the moon and the earth because we'd all be dead

Thanks ^w^
(Oh my gosh I forgot the mask)

Also, I didn't knew that thing from the moon and stars
And I don't want anyone dead... unless they're inmortal

@RealRedCloud: I think this one, and your sketch of Haiz, are very good. Reynir sitting on a cliff with a dead city in the background, realxed and thoughtful. Yess!

Thanks!
This idea just camed out of nowhere hehe

Go study Redy, Tuuri would want you to better your smarts! Ooooh, how about maybe you draw a picture of Tuuri to inspire you to study more? Yes, excellent idea - more pictures! Uh no, hang on, more study…. more pictures…study... what was I trying to say?
Reynir is looking so pensive here, the starts must be very clear now that there aren't any city lights around. It's a nice expression, and you've got a very lifelike pose there ^_^

Yesss, I'll study! I just posting this before I study hehe
Also, thanks~ I'd love to see a sky like that but here in Spain are not so many places like that ;~;
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #2917 on: May 07, 2015, 04:03:56 PM »
I just wanted to say how encouraging it is to see you guys talk about the development of your art for us newer artists ^_^ You've obviously worked hard and drawn lots to get as good as you are (and you guys are VERY good!), but it's also a nice reminder that drawing more will result in improvement regardless of your level, be that the development of beautiful Sigrun digital art (I honestly thought the first one was amazing when I saw it, and can hardly believe how much of an improvement there is!), Emil avatars (of the most best piney expressions), (I also think Curry recently posted something about the development of their art as well, but it was drowned in a sea of new posts), or picking up your watercolour pencils after five years after realising you wanted to draw, and well it may be a bit crummy, but the next picture will be better :)

Same as Unlos, I may not comment on every piece of art which gets posted, but I still love seeing it all >"< Everyone gets creative in such different ways, and it's really beautiful coming back after a few days to see pages of people's new creations!

Hhhh yes I did actually post a Sigrun comparison recently, but man I will gladly continue linking to things that show where my art has come from if it's not too off-topic (should this be moved to the forum art thread?)
Right here is actually a recent redraw of some of my earlier art, from about 5 years ago (when I started really drawing people). I've been drawing for pretty much my entire life, but I really started drawing and taking control of my hands in second grade (8 years ago). I've been drawing for a really really long time but I have honestly made the most progress in the past year or so (even in the past 5 months).
This is three years ago. That's... pretty recent, in my timeline's scale, and there's not much of a change between the first and second pictures because guess what past Curry didn't care about? Bodies. That's what past Curry gave none craps about. :1 I still have trouble drawing bodies consistently well and anatomically correct (or at least, reasonably so) because i spent like 4 years drawing crazy anime crazies, huuuuu
Summary, it all depends on what you focus on and improvement comes fast if you actually draw what you can't draw! All of you guys are so talented already but if you want to get even better, just drawwwwww! It's the best way to improve and really the only way I've found so far • v •
YEET

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2918 on: May 07, 2015, 05:02:11 PM »
Yes, art improvement! *Never misses a chance to talk about her own art*
We are off topic here I know, but compare this character I drew at the beginning of 11th grade (more than 2 1/2 years ago) to this, this, or even this.
And this painting from 11th grade compared to this one from a week ago.
We all get better!!

Baku

• Hot Dad Squad
« Reply #2919 on: May 07, 2015, 05:10:52 PM »
Thanks for all the lovely compliments you guys! [hugs everybody in the thread]

As for art improvement, I wish I had some old art to share so I could show you guys my progress over the years. It's wonderful to see all these artists of different levels posting things here and improving over time.  :D

@Lars_B: I'd be willing to draw up some vote reward stuff! If you have something in mind just let me know.
native: :usa: / learning: :germany: / some day: :denmark:
art tumblr/ flight rising/ disqus - :chap6: :chap7:

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #2920 on: May 07, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »
@Lars_B: I'd be willing to draw up some vote reward stuff! If you have something in mind just let me know.

Thanks! I will!
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2921 on: May 07, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »
*musters up the courage to post the poorly drawn Lalli*

OH MY GOODNESS HE'S PERFECT *cheek-squish* The eyes! The pocket-bandolier-thing! The zippers! The pose!
Admittedly, I'll squee over *any* Lalli, but SQUEE.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2922 on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:32 AM »
*musters up the courage to post the poorly drawn Lalli*

He's not poorly drawn at all! I think he's very cute and immediately recognizable as Lalli :D I like the soft shading and all the details you added to the uniform :)

just... don't ask (?)
He's so adorable! Is he wishing upon a star? ;D

So, I also wanted to be inspirational and stuff, but I don't have access to that many of my old drawings atm since they're in a drawer back in Sweden  :P I do have some from when I started trying to draw digitally though, like this one and a comparison between my first digital and my latest here (the first one was heavily referenced from game art, so it still looks rather good).
I also used to draw all the time and did a lot of copying/redrawing artwork from my favorite games and manga. While this has caused my art style to be a little inconsistent, it also helped me quite a lot. Nowadays I'm trying to do a lot of traditional sketches in a small sketchbook to get more comfortable drawing different poses and stuff.
Just keep on drawing and don't be afraid to try using different styles! I also think you should check out the Doodle or Die thread, which (at least for me) makes you try drawing a lot of things you wouldn't have drawn otherwise :P

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2923 on: May 08, 2015, 01:02:50 AM »

We have a whole thread of *derpy* vote-bait suggestions.  I filled it up because I have way too many derpy ideas but no drawing ability.  Here's one suggestion:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=7.msg877#msg877
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #2924 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
My art class had us make a charicter and draw some of his clothing and personal items so needless to say i "craciously borrowed " (nicked) the idea of Lalli and made this.