Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484240 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #1005 on: February 17, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
A sweatered Lalli.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #1006 on: February 17, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
A sweatered Lalli.

SQUEEEEE!!! I love it Piney! He's adorable!  ;D
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1007 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:22 PM »
SQUEEEEE!!! I love it Piney! He's adorable!  ;D

That's exactly what I was aiming for ;D

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #1008 on: February 17, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
A sweatered Lalli.

EEEEeeeeee

It's so cuuuute! His little handsssssss *loses ability to form coherent thoughts*
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #1009 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:34 PM »
EEEEeeeeee

It's so cuuuute! His little handsssssss *loses ability to form coherent thoughts*

Right there with Solo. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1010 on: February 18, 2015, 12:42:15 AM »
EEEEeeeeee

Right there with Solo. :D

Hehe, gladja like it ;D *fans you both down*

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1011 on: February 18, 2015, 12:51:19 AM »
A sweatered Lalli.

So perfect!  Let's hope Sigrun packed a lot of cozy sweaters for him to snuggle into! 

You have such a wonderfully distinct style.  With the bold outlines and (mostly) flat colors, does it count as "ligne claire"?  I'm already at the point where, when I see people IRL with large round eyes, I think, "Wow, there's a Piney face."  (I'm more a Gary Trudeau/"Doonesbury" face, what with the circles under my eyes.)

EDIT: Terallodactus has a Piney face here.  (I mean that as a compliment.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:05:28 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1012 on: February 18, 2015, 12:55:56 AM »
So perfect!  Let's hope Sigrun packed a lot of cozy sweaters for him to snuggle into! 

You have such a wonderfully distinct style.  With the bold outlines and (mostly) flat colors, does it count as "ligne claire"?  I'm already at the point where, when I see people IRL with large round eyes, I think, "Wow, there's a Piney face."  (I'm more a Gary Trudeau/"Doonesbury" face, what with the circles under my eyes.)

Funny thing, I never thought the way I drew eyes was anywhere out of the ordinary :D I've always wanted my style to be recognizable, now I'm happy :)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1013 on: February 18, 2015, 07:30:20 AM »
A sweatered Lalli.

I'm not sure if it's the pose or the lack of other facial features but you really brought the intensity of the stare up to 11 *leans back*.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1014 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
I'm not sure if it's the pose or the lack of other facial features but you really brought the intensity of the stare up to 11 *leans back*.

Ha, I may have made the eyes slightly larger than normal and the nose slightly smaller
:)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1015 on: February 18, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
Ha, I may have made the eyes slightly larger than normal and the nose slightly smaller
:)
Actually, looking at it from a different "angle so to speak" it looks as if he's putting up his fists for fisticuffs. Like "if you hit me on the shoulder one more time I'll knock your ¤%&?!@ teeth out"!

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #1016 on: February 18, 2015, 04:54:33 PM »
Sunflower, above, wondered whether this is "ligne claire". Not exactly, I think (saying this with all the authority that utter ignorance can yield).
As the name says, "ligne claire" is about lines (Tintin being the archetypal example). The line is "claire" ("clear", yes Sunflower! ;)) in that it has a uniform thickness (not the case here), and that no 'auxiliary' lines are used (hatchings and the like) to render shadows and/or depth. Details are either completely drawn (with a constant thickness, remember!) or omitted.
Piney's style and "ligne claire" share the flatness impression (no shadows, flat colors) but Piney has a nice distinctive suppleness and suggests details. For instance, looking at Lalli, two very short lines stress the shoulders. I think they suggest seams, am I right? In canonical "ligne claire" we would see a full line of seams - or nothing at all.

Short: this is not "ligne claire", this is Piney - and it's very good!
Please, do not take this rambling as the criticism it is not! *kneels and joins hands* Please, tell me you don't! ;D
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1017 on: February 18, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
Sunflower, above, wondered whether this is "ligne claire".
But FrogEater, of course it is Ligne Claire*!

*Piney's name is Claire

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1018 on: February 18, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »
Actually, looking at it from a different "angle so to speak" it looks as if he's putting up his fists for fisticuffs. Like "if you hit me on the shoulder one more time I'll knock your ¤%&?!@ teeth out"!

Yeah, but then he'd have Angry Brows (and we know he can *do* Angry Brows).  These seem to be his usual Bewildered Brows.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1019 on: February 18, 2015, 06:07:20 PM »

Heh, I see that :D Maybe not quite mean enough though. And not that he would be able to do that...

For instance, looking at Lalli, two very short lines stress the shoulders. I think they suggest seams, am I right? In canonical "ligne claire" we would see a full line of seams - or nothing at all.

Yup, those are supposed to be seams. And thank you!

But FrogEater, of course it is Ligne Claire*!

*Piney's name is Claire

It's not ligne claire, but it is ligne Claire :) Maybe I could trademark ligne Piney.