Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484321 times)

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #13575 on: December 25, 2020, 11:06:35 AM »
Really great Animation. I love the music choice for the video too.

rini

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
  • jack of all trades, master of none :'))
  • Preferred pronouns: they/it
« Reply #13576 on: December 25, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »
Oh. My. Gosh!!!!
That's so awesome! Simple yet effective!
An artist, lurking in the dark...

---
Native: :fi:
Almost as good as a native: :eng:
Tried/forced to learn in school: :de: , :se:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13577 on: December 25, 2020, 03:54:00 PM »
Hey, Vulpes, can you pick up my lower jaw while you're at it, because I think that's where mine landed! I have always wanted to learn animation.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #13578 on: December 25, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »
In the last days a thought a lot about what it would look like, if a mage tried to fight a kade so the eyes have to stay closed.

I think it could look like this.

Do we have any image of an kade not seen in a mages mind? I didn't remember one so this image contains unauthorized improvisation.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #13579 on: December 25, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Hey, Vulpes, can you pick up my lower jaw while you're at it, because I think that's where mine landed! I have always wanted to learn animation.

I had a look around on the shelf behind my computer, none of these are yours, are they? There's only the one that's mis-matched (second from left) and I'm pretty sure you don't have incisors like that.

Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #13580 on: December 25, 2020, 08:34:04 PM »
Wow, it's been a while since I shared anything I made here. Sorry for that. ^^"

I've been wanting to improve my animation skills lately, and if you ask me there are few things more satisfying than seeing your fav characters move in animated form. So that's just what I did. ^^
I wanted to make a run cycle, and Lalli was the perfect character to animate!  :lalli:

Anyways, here it is, 14 frames of animation on a loop, and the very first proper shaded and colored animation I made.  ;D

Aaaah! This is so good! Yeah, I’m also interested in the question of what program you are using  XoX :lalli: XoX
The music fits so well!
(When you have a dream of seeing SSSS as a movie (I think it would have been an awesome one) and you get this! Just great ;))

Also, moredhel, that’s a very interesting version of it, I never thought of Kade as of a skeleton-looking being, it’s quite hard to imaging something caring a tong of souls in it... though, I like your idea! ;D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13581 on: December 26, 2020, 03:38:26 AM »
Anyways, here it is, 14 frames of animation on a loop, and the very first proper shaded and colored animation I made.  ;D
God forbid that I claim my mandible did not just perforate a couple strata, but ...
Spoiler: party pooper powers activate: show

• The rifle's butt-end should peek out below Lalli's chest in frames 1 and 2
  • It is off (to our left) the position where the strap should hold it in frames 13 and 14
  • While it has a rather short stock fore-end all the time, again in frames 13 and 14, we should see more than just naked barrel
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #13582 on: December 26, 2020, 06:25:42 AM »
Eee thank you everyone for all your kind compliments!!  <3 <3 <3
*rolls on the floor crying tears of joy*
*hits something hard*
Uh... Vulpes, wavewright62, JoB, I found your mandibles! You, uh, you want them back? ^^"

Woah, this is heckin´ awesome! XoX
What program do you use to animate? Does it have a timeline or do you edit all the frames together in a different program?
Aaaah! This is so good! Yeah, I’m also interested in the question of what program you are using  XoX :lalli: XoX
I used TVpaint for the animation (it's an animation program with a timeline, so I drew all the frames directly in it), PaintToolSAI2 for painting the background, and finally I made the parallax effect and edited everything in Vegaspro13. Not necessarily the best programs to use for this kind of project (except for TVpaint, it's just so good XoX), but it's what works best for me at the moment with my admittedly limited knowledge of animating softwares. ^^"

God forbid that I claim my mandible did not just perforate a couple strata, but ...
Spoiler: party pooper powers activate: show

• The rifle's butt-end should peek out below Lalli's chest in frames 1 and 2
  • It is off (to our left) the position where the strap should hold it in frames 13 and 14
  • While it has a rather short stock fore-end all the time, again in frames 13 and 14, we should see more than just naked barrel

Aaah thank you for pointing it out!! Yeah the rifle was kinda added at the last minute, and I learned that animating an inanimate object in 2D is rather different from animating a moving breathing character (hence why they are often done in 3D now in bigger productions). Also I don't know sh*t about rifles haha. ^^"
But I'll definitely be more careful with those things next time!  ;D

(When you have a dream of seeing SSSS as a movie (I think it would have been an awesome one) and you get this! Just great ;))
Haha I know what you mean! I also like to imagine what SSSS would look like as an animated series (I think it'd be the best way to adapt it, way better than a live action version). I've been thinking about it quite a lot actually, like how could we best adapt Minna's art style for animation, what length would the episodes be, what would the soundtrack sound like...? (oh god, imagine an anime opening for SSSS! Oh no now I want to make that!)
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

JoB

« Reply #13583 on: December 26, 2020, 08:42:26 AM »
Uh... Vulpes, wavewright62, JoB, I found your mandibles! You, uh, you want them back? ^^"
[is having a short break after doing ¾ of the dishwashing]
... put it on the dishrack for now, please, so's the magma can drip off ...

I learned that animating an inanimate object in 2D is rather different from animating a moving breathing character (hence why they are often done in 3D now in bigger productions).
Yeah, squishy bodies (and anything soft around them, like clothes) make for a lot of leeway before they stand out as being out of place or deformed. There's a reason why I zeroed in on that rifle. >:D

Also I don't know sh*t about rifles haha. ^^"
Don't worry, I spent a couple minutes of research before going for "stock front-end", too (and I still can't tell whether just "stock" would be understood as the entire wooden part (le fût / der Schaft), or just the part pressing against the shoulder (la crosse / der Kolben); the recent discussion on "bump stocks", which looked like replacement parts only for the latter in TV footage, leaves me wondering). Unless you want to do an animation of Lalli running away from a swarm of floating signs indicating "hood", "socks", "flash suppressor", "trigger", "M4 bolt", "threadlocker thereon", etc. etc., of course. ;)

as an animated series (I think it'd be the best way to adapt it, way better than a live action version).
Better than winding up with Vin Diesel playing Emil just because he doesn't need to worry about repeated "smoldering hairdo peruke" scenes, that's for sure. >:D
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #13584 on: December 26, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »
Haha I know what you mean! I also like to imagine what SSSS would look like as an animated series (I think it'd be the best way to adapt it, way better than a live action version). I've been thinking about it quite a lot actually, like how could we best adapt Minna's art style for animation, what length would the episodes be, what would the soundtrack sound like...? (oh god, imagine an anime opening for SSSS! Oh no now I want to make that!)
I wonder how hard it will be to do the audio for such an animation! Like, if they speak different languages it will be a little hard to interpret, but I suppose the main language can be English and in the moments when they get confused with each other’s language they can just speak it, so that everyone (even those watching) is confused  :'D
Indeed it would have been amazing! Let’s hope we’ll live ‘till the day when we’ll be able to watch SSSS as a movie  ;D

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #13585 on: December 26, 2020, 09:35:37 AM »
No! No Vin Diesel! Sean Astin would make a better Emil, although perhaps when he was younger (I’m far too old to know any actors young enough now to play the boys)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #13586 on: December 26, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
Uh... Vulpes, wavewright62, JoB, I found your mandibles! You, uh, you want them back?

Thanks, just toss it on the shelf with the rest!  ;D

And thanks for the program details, not that I can draw worth sh*t to have anything to animate, but I'm curious how much software is involved in this sort of thing. Answer - a lot more than I thought!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #13587 on: December 26, 2020, 08:53:36 PM »
I wonder how hard it will be to do the audio for such an animation! Like, if they speak different languages it will be a little hard to interpret, but I suppose the main language can be English and in the moments when they get confused with each other’s language they can just speak it, so that everyone (even those watching) is confused  :'D
Indeed it would have been amazing! Let’s hope we’ll live ‘till the day when we’ll be able to watch SSSS as a movie  ;D
The obvious, non-original but effective solution would be to have the characters speak their own language when they need to (aka when the panel specifies it in the comic), and add subtitles for the audience. That's usually how movies do it nowadays. But we could think of other ways do it, like animate little flags around the characters when it's relevant or something.
A lazy production team would probably want to adapt the scenario to get rid of the language barriers, but we absolutely don't want that, do we?

Don't worry, I spent a couple minutes of research before going for "stock front-end", too (and I still can't tell whether just "stock" would be understood as the entire wooden part (le fût / der Schaft), or just the part pressing against the shoulder (la crosse / der Kolben); the recent discussion on "bump stocks", which looked like replacement parts only for the latter in TV footage, leaves me wondering). Unless you want to do an animation of Lalli running away from a swarm of floating signs indicating "hood", "socks", "flash suppressor", "trigger", "M4 bolt", "threadlocker thereon", etc. etc., of course. ;)
*drinks up the rifle knowledge*

(oh, it's my 100th post! yay!  :haw: :sparkle:)
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #13588 on: December 26, 2020, 10:57:54 PM »
The obvious, non-original but effective solution would be to have the characters speak their own language when they need to (aka when the panel specifies it in the comic), and add subtitles for the audience. That's usually how movies do it nowadays. But we could think of other ways do it, like animate little flags around the characters when it's relevant or something.
A lazy production team would probably want to adapt the scenario to get rid of the language barriers, but we absolutely don't want that, do we?
No! The language barrier is the very important part of the story, it’s partly why I love it so  much!
I like your idea with switching to the languages as it is in the comic, that would probably be the easiest to do.
On the other hand, one could pick a character and make him the main one (for example let’s take Emil), so his own language would be English and all other characters would speak their native language, or a weird version of English (like, in this case Mikkel could speak English with a very thick Danish accent, because Emil can partly understand him and Lalli would speak Finnish so that no one really understands him except for Tuuri) but in this situation there will be a lot of subtitles too...

Also, congratulations on the 100th post! That’s a big day!  ;D (I’ll see you in the Promotion Celebration Thread on this one)

JoB

« Reply #13589 on: December 27, 2020, 03:47:54 AM »
No! The language barrier is the very important part of the story, it’s partly why I love it so  much!
This.

On the other hand, one could pick a character and make him the main one (for example let’s take Emil), so his own language would be English and all other characters would speak their native language, or a weird version of English (like, in this case Mikkel could speak English with a very thick Danish accent, because Emil can partly understand him and Lalli would speak Finnish so that no one really understands him except for Tuuri) but in this situation there will be a lot of subtitles too...
The problem with this approach is that the story's POV occasionally changes to, e.g., Tuuri and Lalli talking (in Finnish) to each other, so at that point, we'd need to have them speaking English the Preferred Language of the Audience's Infraglot Noggins (PLAIN). And then you have the magic-endowed characters winding up in the magescape, with the language barrier temporarily falling flat all of a sudden ...

... nope, I don't see how that can be achieved short of shifting "understandable" around between the characters' primary (voice) and some secondary (e.g., subtitles) medium. It needs to telegraph that it's not the character who has suddenly changed, but some technicality of the movie presentation, so subtitles seem to be a good choice / established convention. Unless we can think of (and then establish) some new, superior "code" ... ?

Something off the top of my mind would be to use movie theaters' current-day multi-channel audio equipment: Have the character's "real" voice (original language) come from the direction of his face on the screen, and simultaneously have an omnidirectional "whisper" in PLAIN. Most spectators should be able to focus on only one voice/direction, as that's an ability we routinely use when we're chatting with our company in a full restaurant or the like. But of course that probably ruins the chances to have the same movie broadcast within the century, as both TV sets sold and signal encoding standards haven't fully adopted even stereo thus far ...