Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2483812 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #13425 on: July 16, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »
Molly, I love your "angel" Lalli!
(just hoping that Lalli does not assume that status in the comic, ever, unless he finds some spell that makes him grow wings. Then it's fine, and he should use the same spell on Emil)
I'm very glad that my limited advice was useful! :) As you get used to the software things will become easier.

Gaelle, I also love your little Tuuri Bird! This one is not digital, right?
As for the shadows, I've been doing mine with a semi-transparent layer. I must check "blend modes"... :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #13426 on: July 16, 2020, 10:11:03 AM »
Double posting because I made a lil' something:

Inspired by the latest pages (299-300)
Spoiler: spoil for pages 299 and 300 • show

Tuuribirb cuteness!! (or Buurbi? Tuuritter?)

Wow! It's lovely! You perfectly captured TuuriBird. I wish my drawings would turn out as good... Oh well, practice makes perfect! And great job again on TuuriBird!
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #13427 on: July 16, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
My first time ever doing something digitally! It's a bit wonky, but practice makes perfect. (I spent more time getting used to the drawing software than I did actually drawing lol). Also, thanks to thegreyarea for giving me a bit of advise on getting a tablet of my own. I would love criticism and advise!

Spoiler: show

Based off this reference:

Oo, i love the colors!!! One criticism i would offer is that, when drawing wings, avoid making the feathers closer to the body so short (this is also good to learn early on, so you can practice the more bird anatomically correct way a lot). I didn't realize this until i stumbled across this excellent graphic: https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/706361522784797271/
That's the only thing I think warranted criticism, everything else looks great  :)

And Gaelle, I already commented on Instagram, but Tuuri Birb is so cute!!!!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

GaelleDragons

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Small lurking troll
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #13428 on: July 16, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
Thank you Lallicat and Alkia<3

Gaelle, I also love your little Tuuri Bird! This one is not digital, right?
As for the shadows, I've been doing mine with a semi-transparent layer. I must check "blend modes"... :)
Not digital indeed, it's simple watercolor in my sketchbook ^^
"Blend modes" or "layer modes" are usefull to create interesting color combinations and build shadow and lighting. They're pretty neat, but shouldn't be overused (which I sometimes do ^^").
*always scribbling*

Native: :fr:  Fluent (but will make mistakes sometimes ^^"):  :gb:  Supposed to be fluent but is actually really bad:  :es:  Learning out of curiosity:  :is:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #13429 on: July 16, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
Molly, that is really good for a first try at digital art - I shudder to think what a mess I'd create. Of course it helps to be able to draw well in the first place, and I'm terribly out of practice!

Oo, i love the colors!!! One criticism i would offer is that, when drawing wings, avoid making the feathers closer to the body so short (this is also good to learn early on, so you can practice the more bird anatomically correct way a lot). I didn't realize this until i stumbled across this excellent graphic: https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/706361522784797271/

Ah-hah! There was something nagging me, saying 'this isn't quite right', and you spotted it! Funny when something is below the conscious level like that. I watch a lot of birds, but when they're zipping around you don't notice those details, and it's been a while since I looked closely at a mounted specimen.

Edit - Forgot to say, lovely Tuuri-bird, Gaelle.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:15:38 PM by Vulpes »
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #13430 on: July 16, 2020, 09:37:56 PM »
Molly, I love your winged Lalli - I'm certainly no expert at digital art, but I think you've done a great job!

And Gaelle, Tuuri-bird is wonderful!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

MollyVampiric

• I'm always up too late, don't worry
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her, with love
« Reply #13431 on: July 17, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »
Thank you all so much for the help!
Constructive criticism is highly appreciated! <3

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13432 on: July 17, 2020, 07:58:40 AM »
Molly, great winged Lalli! Indeed, it´s very good for a first try at digital art! (cue horror-flashbacks to my own first try...) I´m also still in the figuring out-stage of digital art, so I can´t really judge on any techniques you used.
The only general advice I have for getting used to program and drawing techniques except for "just try everything out and see what works" is: watch lots and lots of speedpaints on Youtube. Ideally of course drawn in the programm you use, but actually that doesn´t really matter, most programms narrow down to the same functions. You just have to find where they are located in yours (I´m saying this like it´s easy... It´s not exactly). But either way seeing how other people use specific tools and brushes in their art can teach you a lot!

And since we´re all sharing here how we do shading: right now I do general shading (for making things look sort of dimensional) on a normal extra layer, and add shading in relation to lightsource (meaning time of day/night, clouds, sun...) on a semi-transparent extra layer. But I change my method all the time...

Gaelle, your Tuuribirb is so cute!!! I love her little happy smile!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

SilverGarnet12

• Tumblr
« Reply #13433 on: July 17, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »
I love coming back to this thread every few weeks, everyone's art looks so good!

I drew some Onnis from various points in the comic.

Native speaker: :australia:   Learning: :norway:

School class level: :france:, :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #13434 on: July 17, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #13435 on: July 17, 2020, 02:41:50 PM »
SilverGarnet12, great Onnis! The shading is really nice. Only now that I see them next to each other I notice how much his hair has grown. :'D

So my perfectionism wouldn´t allow me to just have something as my 100th post, therefore I had to wait until I finished something cool. Which I have now! It´s that painting I was talking about in one of the Covid-threads back in... the beginning of June. Huh. It´s been that long. (Wasn´t my estimate for it to take "two days or so" at some point?) Well, it´s finished now, at last.

May I present to you: The entire crew with flower crowns, inspired by binge-reading the meme-thread and the flower-meaning thing that happened in the first chapter-break-filler. They´re based on the character sheets of the second adventure. Except for Tuuri who I based on some other references I had lying around. (Yes, more botany! I know I have already successfully destroyed most of my street-credibility regarding plants, but joke´s on me, this was actually the first plant-related thing I started.)

Pictures on their own, back when everything didn´t overlayer each other because I drew them too close to one another:

My first serious attempt at painting in a long time, because I usually really don´t like painting. But nobody told me you could combine paint and fineliner like this before. (a whole new world, thank you, Minna!) This was actually really fun. :)
And took forever, because "uncomplicated" is not in my vocabulary.

I claim absolutely no acuracy regarding size, time of blooming and natural habitat of the flowers I used. All that said: *inhales*

Flower meanings: (under a spoiler because I am incapable of shutting up.)
I once again have no clue about things, but this is what the internet told me:

Sigrun:
- Verbascum: courage, protection, health
- Malva: protection, health, guardian of a house, has also healing connotations which don´t fit to Sigrun exactly, but I thought the Flower would look nice with her eyes
- Echinacae: strengh, health
It was actually really hard to find fitting flowers for Sigrun... That´s why they all have basically the same meaning. I just really leaned into that "strong captain"-theme.

Mikkel:
- Aster: patience and elegance
- Helleborus: serenity, tranquility, peace
Must I say more?

Emil:
- red Camellia: some website said something like "flame in my heart". I realize that that was probably some love-message, but I couldn´t resist the fire-pun...
- Amarylis: I don´t undestand my own notes anymore... I had two different flowers that were called "Amarylis" with different meanings standing there, I can´t remember which one I used. But one of them stood for determination, the other one for confidence and pride. Both fits I think.
- Sunflower: faithfulness, loyalty
Did I really sacrifice an actual depiction of good character traits my favourite character posesses for a lame joke? I did. At least they look good on him.

Lalli:
- Heather: independance (orange Heather exists! I googled it! How natural it is is questionable though... But I needed it to fit the color-scheme!)
- Hydrangea: gratefulness (to be understood), honest emotions (I´m sorry, I´m a little bit of an Emilalli-shipper.)
- Anemone: protection, anticipation
Lalli was the worst for finding fitting flowers. He took me the longest.

Tuuri:
- Clarkia: charm, enthusiasm
- Zinnia: Endurance, friendship, goodness, remembrance
- purple Crocus: youth, cheerfulness, gladness
Yes, happy Tuuri. I miss her. But now she´s back in bird-form!

Reynir:
- Crysanthemum: friendship, loyalty, joy, cheerfulness and so many more similar things that I won´t list all of them (also death, but I´ll ignore that.)
- blue Daisy: happiness, innocence, purity
- Clematis: artifice, ingenuity
Become as badass as you want Reynir, I won´t stop seeing you as a happy little puppy.

Onni:
- Rhododendron: caution
- Gladiolus: Faithfulness, honor, remembrance, strength
Gladiolus are also called Swordlillies. I think that´s a pretty cool name.

Kitty:
- Daffodil: new beginning
- Ornithogalum: innocence, hope, trust, honesty
These flowers were both somewhat associated with birth and growing up. I thought that fit since the crew basically raised Kitty.

(you really don´t need to read all of this, but since I wasted an entire week researching it for no reason, it felt even more like a waste to leave it out.)

Yay! Safe-Zone-Citizen!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #13436 on: July 17, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »
They are lovely! You are right that the flowers don’t all bloom at the same time, but we can add just enough magic to make them so!

(Emilalli flowers. Yes, very good. *nods gravely*)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #13437 on: July 17, 2020, 06:37:42 PM »
SilverGarnet12, I’m joining Mirasol, the shading on your drawing is really great!
(Onni did change since the beginning of the comic…)

Mirasol, they are adorable! I love how serious you are about all the flowers  ;) ;D

And yes, the Tuuri-bird is so touching! By the way, Alkia, you inspired me by posting that link to Pinterest so I did a few winged-people sketches myself ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:42:02 PM by Annuil »
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #13438 on: July 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »
SilverGarnet, that's a lovely set of Onnis. Really good sequence to show his transformation.

Wow! Mirasol, you are really thorough! Those are beautiful, and the flower choices very apt. As for blooming times, with greenhouse forcing almost anything is possible. Although I wonder, would SSSS-Iceland waste precious greenhouse space on flowers rather than food?
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #13439 on: July 17, 2020, 07:18:24 PM »
Everybody's saying that SilverGarnet's and Mirasol's drawings are amazing and so on...

And they really are! :)

SilverGarnet's Onnis are excellent! Shades, lines, expressions... All very well done!

Mirasol's attention to detail is fantastic! I love when we see that the author not only made something great but also anchored the creation on solid research! Beautiful!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society