Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484190 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #330 on: November 22, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
(Actually, I meant badges, but they're called buttons in German, obviously taken from the English word.)
I love it!

Hopefully no one will see me stealing vocabulary words...
Though... I'm looking at the badges and maybe where I live we're just weird, but are they the kind with the pin on the back? Because if so we call those buttons around here.

I can't figure out how to post pictures in anyway but linking them. Can anyone help me?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »

I tried to find a pattern that could potentially look like it was embroidered by hand... I think handicrafts like sewing and needlework might make a comeback in the absence of a large-scale clothing manufacturing industry (that wasn't connected to the military, that is). Big cities like Mora and Reykjavik might have several tailor shops that sell handmade items, but people in smaller settlements like Keuruu probably would do their own sewing.

I think you're right about the hand-sewing.  But looking at the beautiful (and large-scale) flowered pattern, I think it would be more efficient to produce by block-printing with layers of dye.  Printed fabrics predate the Industrial Revolution by hundreds of years -- e.g. Indonesian batik, Indian muslins, and Pacific/Maori paint-stamped tapa cloths.  (Not to mention French toiles.)

On the other hand, would Finnish society approve of such frivolity?   :o

I got a faintly Communist vibe from our brief view of Keuruu and Finnish transportation -- the Mao jackets and Tractor Girl part, not the ruthless repression part -- and Minna's statement that Tuuri's and Lalli's blue-and-white tunics and other clothes were standard Army wear:  "cheap, plain, and practical."

But we're seeing the Finns at the start of winter, when they're all dressing to defend against cold weather.  Maybe they all break out the pink-and-red Marimekko prints, strappy sandals, and board shorts once summer comes?  (Except for Onni.  He will continue to wear his parka all summer, because he's afraid of skin cancer.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #332 on: November 22, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
Though... I'm looking at the badges and maybe where I live we're just weird, but are they the kind with the pin on the back? Because if so we call those buttons around here.

My English is not perfect at all, and it is not even spoken widely at where I live, but a dictionary said those thingies with pins are called "badges". I didn't know they are called "buttons" too, so thanks for enlightening me  :D

Also, you may want to check the first post of the thread, there is an instruction on posting pictures.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:05:38 PM by curiosity »
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
I can't figure out how to post pictures in anyway but linking them. Can anyone help me?

Yeah! Click the image icon on the left and then paste the URL of the image you want.
You can right-click -> copy image location, view image and then copy the URL.  :)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »
Yeah! Click the image icon on the left and then paste the URL of the image you want.
You can right-click -> copy image location, view image and then copy the URL.  :)

It's not working. :(
I guess everyone will just have to look at the link... unless there's a super-secret DevientART way I don't know about?

http://stellersjayc.deviantart.com/#/art/Exploring-the-Marker-Lands-496008193?_sid=7b1f2c53

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #335 on: November 22, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »

It's not working. :(
I guess everyone will just have to look at the link... unless there's a super-secret DevientART way I don't know about?

http://stellersjayc.deviantart.com/#/art/Exploring-the-Marker-Lands-496008193?_sid=7b1f2c53

Hmm, it works when I try it with deviantArt... Maybe someone else explains it better on an earlier page of the thread.  :P I know I didn't figure it out myself.

(And I do like your drawing by the way ;D. Especially Tuuri.)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #336 on: November 22, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
Hopefully no one will see me stealing vocabulary words...

Lenny posted a great big image-posting tutorial in the first post, didn't she?
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #337 on: November 22, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Lenny posted a great big image-posting tutorial in the first post, didn't she?

Yeah, she did. I followed it and it still didn't work which is why I'm so confusued.

(And I do like your drawing by the way ;D. Especially Tuuri.)

My mom took one look at it and said "Sigrun". She was so happy that she regognized one of the characters immediately. (Usually she gets them completely confused. :) )

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »
Yeah, she did. I followed it and it still didn't work which is why I'm so confusued.

My mom took one look at it and said "Sigrun". She was so happy that she regognized one of the characters immediately. (Usually she gets them completely confused. :) )
Just remembered, DA stores the picture on the webpage.  The "img" tag can only be used for images that are stored on their own little page.  Normally, you can right click and copy the picture, paste it into the address bar, and the picture will show up all alone on a white page.  For instance: Most things you can find on google images.  If you do that on with an image stored on DA you just get the entire DA page. 
Feel free to PM.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »

Er, I sent you a PM, but I doubt you recieved it, so I'm just typing the same thing here (if anyone else has the same problem).

So: you go to the page with your picture on DA, right-click on it, then choose an option "Open Image" (or something similar, my browser is not English, sorry). You'll have your picture opened separately, and the text in the url-line on the top should read "fc03(basically, just two letters and two digits)thenwhateveritshouldbe.jpg(or whatever your picture format is)". That is the url you'll need to copy and put in between img tags. And yes, that would be a picture in its full resolution, so you'll have to resize it (Lenny told us how to do it in the first post). I've tried, it worked, so here you go.

By the way, StellersJayC, I loved your picture. The expressions are just soooo authentic  :D
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »

My mom took one look at it and said "Sigrun". She was so happy that she recognized one of the characters immediately. (Usually she gets them completely confused. :) )

I'm impressed that your mother knows SSSS.  My parents think of graphic novels as "comic books," so SSSS is not something I can bring up over Thanksgiving.  And if they even know about online communities, I'm sure they picture them as 1990s AOL-style chatrooms, where all sorts of iniquity goes on!!  (Well, they were both born in 1938; it's pretty impressive that they're online at all.) 

I am deeply closeted w/r/t my geek interests.   :-\  I think my parents would understand better (and be a little less disapproving) if I were spending this much time on dating sites or something.  (Sigh.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »
This isn't directly SSSS related, but I thought that it might fit well in the world of SSSS:

Years ago before starting my own project I used to make levels for a sandbox game 'Garry's mod', and my favorite level themes used to be isolated medieval/makeshift village in middle of nowhere. So here's some pics from one of my 'those' levels, which might fit here:

Isolated and fenced off village built on hilltop in middle of some swamp.

Day:

Orginal thread from 2010 with more pics for the ones more interested in (thats where I dug these pics):
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/945287-Rp_Suo/member.php?u=221387

And some random video (not by me) i found about this:
/>(Those guys seem to have very inhumane quarantine facility)

Feel free to remove this post if this isn't right place for this.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »
Er, I sent you a PM, but I doubt you recieved it, so I'm just typing the same thing here (if anyone else has the same problem).

So: you go to the page with your picture on DA, right-click on it, then choose an option "Open Image" (or something similar, my browser is not English, sorry). You'll have your picture opened separately, and the text in the url-line on the top should read "fc03(basically, just two letters and two digits)thenwhateveritshouldbe.jpg(or whatever your picture format is)". That is the url you'll need to copy and put in between img tags. And yes, that would be a picture in its full resolution, so you'll have to resize it (Lenny told us how to do it in the first post). I've tried, it worked, so here you go.

By the way, StellersJayC, I loved your picture. The expressions are just soooo authentic  :D
I'm impressed that your mother knows SSSS.  My parents think of graphic novels as "comic books," so SSSS is not something I can bring up over Thanksgiving.  And if they even know about online communities, I'm sure they picture them as 1990s AOL-style chatrooms, where all sorts of iniquity goes on!!  (Well, they were both born in 1938; it's pretty impressive that they're online at all.) 

I am deeply closeted w/r/t my geek interests.   :-\  I think my parents would understand better (and be a little less disapproving) if I were spending this much time on dating sites or something.  (Sigh.)

:) I just want to say thank you for all the help and kind words. In my browser the thing I was looking for turned out to be "properties". My mom didn't want to read it, but I got her to by reading a few pages to her everynight for a few weeks until we caught up. Now she doesn't need my help to look at the next page! I'll stop plauging this thread with "I can't do it" comments now, because now I can!

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
This isn't directly SSSS related, but I thought that it might fit well in the world of SSSS:

I think it fits just perfectly in SSSS universe, and such places are to be found there. Say, did you only use pre-created objects and textures or modelled some yourself?

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #344 on: November 22, 2014, 09:04:47 PM »
I think it fits just perfectly in SSSS universe, and such places are to be found there. Say, did you only use pre-created objects and textures or modelled some yourself?

Majority of the content are premade standard hl2 content, i did make some textures by myself though.