Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2484171 times)

ginger

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #9825 on: May 15, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »
That made me laugh. Your hands sound rather like those of my tiny aunt. She was about 4'8", very dainty and fine-boned. Once I passed ten years old I grew too big for her gloves, shoes and rings (I used to love playing dress-up with her stuff as a tiny child, because she had such impeccable taste). I was a bit under 4'11" and I used to feel huge next to her, because I have my father's stocky muscular build, and she was so dainty! She was fierce though, and a skilled martial artist - it was she who taught me sword and staff. She had been a nurse in a field hospital in France, during the First World War. She lived past 106, still independent.

My own hands are small but broad, stubby and not dainty at all - gnarly arthritic gardener's hands. I love how Scout has done Sigrun's hands in this picture!

Hi, I would like to hear you tell your tiny aunt's life story, please and thank you. :3

In all honesty, Róisín, every time you tell a story like that, my heart grows a bit larger and a bit warmer. I love your storytelling. <3 And she sounds like the kind of woman that I long to be!
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #9826 on: May 15, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »
She and my paternal grandmother and grandfather were certainly my role models, growing up. Since my father was widowed quite young, and didn't remarry until I was a teenager, they did most of the raising of my older brother and me. That particular aunt had an interesting love story too - they met in the field hospital during the War, saw each other three times before they married, and were together for 74 years. She certainly helped form my ideas about what constitutes a good marriage.
And I'm getting quite distracted from Art!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #9827 on: May 16, 2016, 07:31:17 AM »
Amazing sgru, and if Reynir didn't spend his childhood years sleeping on a sheep, I don't want to live any more! :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #9828 on: May 16, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
Inspired by page 513

My hair is super dumb, and I’m going to cut it all off…
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9829 on: May 16, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »
Inspired by page 513

It's awesome and beautiful and chilling to think this would happen to Reynir's hair, plus I'm getting flashbacks to that one scene in ElfQuest where Clearbrook cuts off her long braid... :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

« Reply #9830 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »
Yeah, that scene was heartbreaking.

ginger

• Scout
« Reply #9831 on: May 16, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
Inspired by page 513

I'll file this under emotions that I didn't expect to feel today! D:

In all seriousness, this piece is so beautifully executed. I really like the way that you did the woodgrain. Was this done in watercolor pencils?

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #9832 on: May 16, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »
It's awesome and beautiful and chilling to think this would happen to Reynir's hair, plus I'm getting flashbacks to that one scene in ElfQuest where Clearbrook cuts off her long braid... :-\

Oh, I love ElfQuest and yes, I remember this scene, it made me cry ((
That was the sort of idea in my head that I can get rid of only by drawing this. Well, I don't want it to happen in comic.

Yeah, that scene was heartbreaking.

Indeed it was.

I'll file this under emotions that I didn't expect to feel today! D:

In all seriousness, this piece is so beautifully executed. I really like the way that you did the woodgrain. Was this done in watercolor pencils?

Thank you! I used just watercolour, and added pencils only in braid.
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9833 on: May 16, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »

Oh, wow, I haven't thought of that scene in a LONG time.  (The days when I'd wait for each issue to come out.  And kids these days think that the chapter break is long!)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #9834 on: May 16, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »
It kind of makes me think of Mulan honestly . .

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

ginger

• Scout
« Reply #9835 on: May 16, 2016, 05:27:35 PM »
It kind of makes me think of Mulan honestly . .

Now I'm singing Reflection in my head; of all the things to be singing in my head, it's a pretty great addition!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9836 on: May 16, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »
Inspired by page 513

I don't know any of the references the others are using, but I really like the image.  Without those sad references, my first thought is freedom, actually.  The walking away reinforces that.

And @Sc0ut, this Sigrun is lovely and so well-executed, with the lighting on the blade matching a subtle light in her eyes.  Her hair is also nicely done in that it's not plastic-helmetty.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #9837 on: May 16, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »
Wavewright: if you've never read 'Elfquest' you've missed a treasure. I don't know if it's online or not; I read it as a paper comic, back in the days when there wasn't really an Internet, and the only place to find comics other than Disney and a bit of Marvel was Space Age Books in Melbourne, and there might be gaps of months or years between issues. Like SSSS, it managed to incorporate luminously beautiful art, (especially by the standards of comic art of the time), humour, terror, breaking of stereotypes and a truly good 'what the hell is going on really' many-layered puzzle story. The story also explored love, friendship and relationships in ways that were unheard of at the time, while delivering an edge-of-the-seat quest story. Read it. The authors are Wendy and Richard Pini.

Urbicande: I read your remarks to my husband, who reminds you that you have just used 'kids these days' non-ironically, and as such you are entitled to join him in the Old Farts Club.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9838 on: May 16, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »
Urbicande: I read your remarks to my husband, who reminds you that you have just used 'kids these days' non-ironically, and as such you are entitled to join him in the Old Farts Club.

In filk, we use the benchmark of 20 years before you're an Old Phart Filker, so I'm in at least twice over :)

Meanwhile, silly art. 

The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device will not protect you from the Illness.  In the event that the Illness does infect you, please return to the Enrichment Center Illness Disposal Unit where there will be cake.

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #9839 on: May 17, 2016, 02:49:12 AM »
In filk, we use the benchmark of 20 years before you're an Old Phart Filker, so I'm in at least twice over :)

Meanwhile, silly art. 

The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device will not protect you from the Illness.  In the event that the Illness does infect you, please return to the Enrichment Center Illness Disposal Unit where there will be cake.

"When life gives you lemons, you don't make lemonade. You demand to see life's manager. Then you take those lemons, put those lemons into a rocket launcher and aim them at life's manager's face and make life regret trying to foist all that citrus on you."
- Sigrun Eide
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: